What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:40 am
Who cares what I used it for last, check this out!

Little one made some wood shavings to start our fire. So proud! The deep guard helped inspire confidence. She practiced very safe knife skills with daddy help. Maybe it's time to let her pick her own?
these moments are the best. i love getting my kids out in the wild and teaching them wilderness skills.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:50 am
Hey Vivi,

How old is she? What's her name?

sal
Sending you an email sal!
Last edited by vivi on Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:13 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:40 am
Who cares what I used it for last, check this out!

Little one made some wood shavings to start our fire. So proud! The deep guard helped inspire confidence. She practiced very safe knife skills with daddy help. Maybe it's time to let her pick her own?
these moments are the best. i love getting my kids out in the wild and teaching them wilderness skills.
She loves it. While I was setting up the tent she went to gather wood for the fire. Sometimes she'll make me use ferro rods instead of a lighter too, she likes the sparks :cheap-sunglasses I'm glad she's growing up with an appreciation of the outdoors!
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Mmm fatwood! My kids are almost as obsessed as me 😁 They each have their own chunk to cherish.
Matus

Post by Matus »

… just today to open two boxes - one with an ARK and one with a Chaparral 😁
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Didn’t use my knives much today, but at least I had the time and capacity to remember to take a picture the one time I did use it.
Everyone else was tired from skiing every day, so I took off on a solo trip today. Approximately at the farthest point of my planned route, I lost the tip of one of my ski poles. Which included that little disc that prevents the poles from disappearing in the snow when you put pressure on them.
In the name of health and safety I allowed my salt 2 to cut off a branch of mountain birch and do a rudimentary fitting.
It looks silly, but did a pretty good job at preventing the pole from disappearing in the snow and quite surprisingly lasted the whole distance back to the cabin.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:30 am
That is great! I love stories like this. And it looks awesome, you know why? Because it worked.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

I used my Tenacious to remove the rubber bands on the claws of 120 seized lobsters before releasing them back to the water.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Pete1977 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:52 pm
I used my Tenacious to remove the rubber bands on the claws of 120 seized lobsters before releasing them back to the water.

Nice work 👍
Certainly an entertaining post -- mine are usually boring.
Are those plastic bands?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Elastic bands to keep feisty lobsters from taking off a finger.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:42 pm
Pete1977 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Nice work 👍
Certainly an entertaining post -- mine are usually boring.
Are those plastic bands?
They are rubber bands to keep the lobsters from using its claws. This catch was seized from a trawler for being “v-notched” which is a v shaped notch cut into a specific flipper of an egg-bearing female to indicate that it is part of the breed stock. It is illegal to possess v-notched lobsters. Because they are live, seized lobsters are usually returned to the ocean, but we have to take the bands off first so that they can feed and defend themselves.

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

So the entire catch (all 120) was seized/released for having one notched? Seems excessive. Not much of a “V” there. More of a “U”.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Pete1977 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:47 pm
They are rubber bands to keep the lobsters from using its claws. This catch was seized from a trawler for being “v-notched” which is a v shaped notch cut into a specific flipper of an egg-bearing female to indicate that it is part of the breed stock. It is illegal to possess v-notched lobsters. Because they are live, seized lobsters are usually returned to the ocean, but we have to take the bands off first so that they can feed and defend themselves.

Interesting! Thanks for the info.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:28 pm
So the entire catch (all 120) was seized/released for having one notched? Seems excessive. Not much of a “V” there. More of a “U”.
The entire catch was approx 900 pounds. We seized about 280 lbs. There is a zero tolerance policy for taking illegal lobsters. Any mutilation of that flipper makes the lobster illegal to possess.
The excessiveness of the penalty is what prevents overharvest of the species and allows successful management of the fishery.
The fine will be approximately $28,000 and a criminal summons was issued to the boat owner/captain.

The black coating of the blade held up to most of my cutting chores until now- the lobster’s shell scratched it up a little. For what its worth I have only touched the edge of that knife up twice on the white sharpmaker stones since i got it on Christmas. It is 8CR13MoV.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Ah, a large commercial vessel then, I misunderstood the scale. Interesting:
Pete1977 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:23 am
Any mutilation of that flipper makes the lobster illegal to possess.
Do you run traps to sex and clip the females, or scuba dive? Are lobsters easy to sex like blue crab? Also, I didn’t know those parts were called “flippers”. I didn’t have a word for them beyond “tail” 😂

I’m aware of conservation/management in my own state; what I know is the whole fishery is declined from when I was a kid growing up in the Florida Keys in the 80s. I miss filling an igloo 120 with our limit of several species. Fish was our main protein growing up.

The oyster industry in Apalachicola self-immolated through their over harvesting. It was a very strange situation with overharvesting so severe the oystermen were raking up the substrate the oyster spats needed. So FDACS and FWC were buying barge-loads of fossil oyster shell to place in the bay as substrate. They finally quit that and closed the bay for oyster harvesting.

To keep it back on topic, I used my AEB-L Urban to cut tags of bathing suits this morning. My wife’s family tradition is to give the kids new bathing suits at Easter 🩱🩳☀️🏖🌊🏝
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:04 am
Ah, a large commercial vessel then, I misunderstood the scale. Interesting:
Pete1977 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:23 am
Any mutilation of that flipper makes the lobster illegal to possess.
Do you run traps to sex and clip the females, or scuba dive? Are lobsters easy to sex like blue crab? Also, I didn’t know those parts were called “flippers”. I didn’t have a word for them beyond “tail” 😂

I’m aware of conservation/management in my own state; what I know is the whole fishery is declined from when I was a kid growing up in the Florida Keys in the 80s. I miss filling an igloo 120 with our limit of several species. Fish was our main protein growing up.

The oyster industry in Apalachicola self-immolated through their over harvesting. It was a very strange situation with overharvesting so severe the oystermen were raking up the substrate the oyster spats needed. So FDACS and FWC were buying barge-loads of fossil oyster shell to place in the bay as substrate. They finally quit that and closed the bay for oyster harvesting.

To keep it back on topic, I used my AEB-L Urban to cut tags of bathing suits this morning. My wife’s family tradition is to give the kids new bathing suits at Easter 🩱🩳☀️🏖🌊🏝
The harvester usually notches egg bearing females before releasing them but yes, it is easy to determine the sex of lobster.
I think flipper is a colloquialism lol i would have to look at the actual statute to figure out what exactly those parts are called.

I just woke up so I havent used my tenacious yet today but i will!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The oceans are close to being fished out. While the laws are harsh, an empty ocean is harsher. Too bad all nations do not equally apply the limits.

Interesting to see how the coated 8CR13MoV is holding up to sea water.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I used my Delica to give a little more room for a cat toy to be stuffed with catnip.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

IMG_20220418_125641_094.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:02 am
The oceans are close to being fished out. While the laws are harsh, an empty ocean is harsher. Too bad all nations do not equally apply the limits.

Interesting to see how the coated 8CR13MoV is holding up to sea water.
8CR13MoV is fairly corrosion resistant. Prolonged exposure to sea water will cause it to rust, my first generation Raven did rust through the coating but i never took care of it beyond sharpening when necessary.

Today I used the tenacious to open some containers/bags containing soft shell clams so I could perform cursory inspections of the catch.