What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahaha, Alex never fails!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:24 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:18 am
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:14 am
Pacific Salt SE, cutting open a pallet of 20 gauge perforated galvanized steel.
Every time I cut these plastic bands I get rolled teeth, no matter how carefully I try. :(
Are they banded tightly with thick plastic banding? When I encounter that type of banding and have an SE blade, I normally lay the blade flat on the surface of the product and try to pull up on the banding a bit (if possible) and just slide/cut through the banding. I don't angle the blade at all, and haven't had that kind of issue. SE knives are in VG10 though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference as well.
Yeah it's thick stuff. I always pull up on the strap with my free hand and cut straight upwards from underneath, no angling or anything like that. It cuts pretty well but I can't seem to get away from the rolling no matter how I try.

It's not too bad to fix and I'm hoping that as I sharpen the teeth down, they'll become more resistant to that kind of pressure. Time will tell I suppose.
Interesting. I’ve had the same thing with SE H1. The serrations on the 52100 CE I’m using at work at the moment bite through pallet straps very aggressively, with no discernible rolling. I use the same technique, basically. When the pallet straps are tight and flush to the timber outer structure, I’ll slide the blade under and use the thick part of the spine, near the Spydie hole to lever the strap up for a finger grip, and cut from underneath, at right angles to the strap.

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Yes, I appreciate H-1 for what it is, but my experiences with it seem to contradict the mainstream consensus regarding edge performance.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:39 am
Yes, I appreciate H-1 for what it is, but my experiences with it seem to contradict the mainstream consensus regarding edge performance.
Is your Pacific Salt ground at 15 or 20 degrees? All my user Pacific 1's seemed to be 15, but a NIB backup I have, and my Pacific 2's, are ground at 20.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:16 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Is your Pacific Salt ground at 15 or 20 degrees? All my user Pacific 1's seemed to be 15, but a NIB backup I have, and my Pacific 2's, are ground at 20.
It's at 16.4. Which is, admittedly, very thin.

I think it's the profile of the serrations that are causing most of the trouble. While not snaggle-toothed they are a bit pointier than my Byrd knives or even my Rescue 3. The sharper points mean much higher pressures. That's why I'm hoping things improve as I continue to sharpen, and round off, the tips of the serrations.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Meat man wrote:
Yeah I really enjoy H1 as well. If not for the advocates on this forum, I probably would never have looked into it.

For me it sits in the ‘toolbox’ of steels for specific applications, but I don’t think I’d carry it as a general EDC.

The Gin-1, VG10, CTS-BD1N and 52100 serrations I’ve tried, seem to be run at an adequate hardness level to minimise that micro rolling of the edge which I sometimes get from H1.

I was reminded of what a brilliant design SE edges are to maximise edge retention and performance out of steels that sit towards the lower end of the bladesteel wear resistance spectrum, the other day.

I ordered a SE Salt Dragonfly at a friend’s request, who normally uses a G10 Dragonfly.

As soon as I dropped it over to her place, she looked over the knife, then went straight out to the yard, to trim and prune some trees and bushes. She really cut a lot of both green, and dry woody, fibrous material to put it through its paces.

Afterwards, I felt sure that the knife would be very dull. When I examined it, I was shocked to feel that the inner curve of the large scallops were still sticky sharp, instantly ‘grabbing’ fingertip skin on contact.

When I looked closer, I realised that it was only the tips of the teeth that were dull and reflecting light, and because of the penetrating pressure of those points, the dullness actually had very little bearing on the efficency of the cut, when doing normal yard work.

Very clever design. :cool: :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I used my Pacific Salt 2 to test out my new belt sander.

Turned out ok, I'll clean it up a bit by hand. Stopped just shy of the very tip because I was nervous about ruining the heat treat. Dipped it in water every five seconds so I think it'll be good.

Kicking myself for holding off on powered equipment for so long. Thinking about how quickly this thing will pay for itself considering how much time it takes doing this with stones.

I'm going to practice with some junk knives and eventually start using powered equipment for reprofiling.

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:22 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:16 pm
The Meat man wrote:
It's at 16.4. Which is, admittedly, very thin.

I think it's the profile of the serrations that are causing most of the trouble. While not snaggle-toothed they are a bit pointier than my Byrd knives or even my Rescue 3. The sharper points mean much higher pressures. That's why I'm hoping things improve as I continue to sharpen, and round off, the tips of the serrations.
I could see that being the case with some more use.

With the Pacific 2 I posted above I definitely notice more snagging VS my old worn Pacific 1's. Puts things into a different perspective when I think about some of the conversations I've had here with people who don't like serrations for that reason.

Even though its really sharp right now (despite helping me clean out a garage full of old dirty boxes, thick rubber mats etc. that needed broken down for the trash) I think I may take it to the diamond stones until the factory grind lines are gone from the edge. The more broken in serrated edges work better for me than brand new and spikey.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I oddly, though maybe not really odd...find my Matriarch to be a better cutter than my SE Wharnie Delica. I definitely have more snag points on the Delica.

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:35 pm
I oddly, though maybe not really odd...find my Matriarch to be a better cutter than my SE Wharnie Delica. I definitely have more snag points on the Delica.
Even within the same models I've noticed variations. I had two NIB Pacific Salts that had wildly different looking edges. One was toothy looking on the bevel with a 15 degree edge, one had a much higher polish on the bevel and it was clearly a 20 degree edge.

The different levels of spikiness I know is due to the grinding wheel changing shape as they use it on different knives, but why they use different grinding angles beats me.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

One might think that a Manix 2 XL isn't the proper tool for delicate tasks. With a keen edge it will snap through a tie wrap without nicking a wire. It's also handy for cutting and stripping, when it's inconvenient to get the proper tools.
IMG_8594.jpeg
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:22 pm
One might think that a Manix 2 XL isn't the proper tool for delicate tasks. With a keen edge it will snap through a tie wrap without nicking a wire. It's also handy for cutting and stripping, when it's inconvenient to get the proper tools.

IMG_8594.jpeg

Hey RustyIron, I use my Spydies for cutting and stripping insulation from Cat5-Cat6 cables too! :D

Much more convenient since I can open and close them one handed especially when I'm on a ladder, compared to pliers which I find too fiddly for one handed use.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:04 am
Much more convenient since I can open and close them one handed especially when I'm on a ladder, compared to pliers which I find too fiddly for one handed use.
Right on, brother. One-handed without looking at it.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Cutting the Conan wrapping from my IV site. Para 3.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Just as the sign says!

Resized_20200820_153305 (002).jpeg

-Rick
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

Used the Para 3 to trim old adhesive and manky caulking around my bathtub and toilet during renos.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Red

Post by Red »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:03 pm
Just as the sign says!

Resized_20200820_153305 (002).jpeg
Great photo!
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Took the Native 5 with me to work today, here it is after cutting up Tyvek & Tyvek Tape as we work on expanding out bouldering flooring to accommodate our new campus board. Here in California we still can't open gyms, so we're trying to make the most of our down time.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

https://youtu.be/QQ04LukYv8I
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Dang rats chewed up our copper LAN backbone. We would have wanted to use ratkiller for those buggers, but the thought of them dying and rotting on our airconditioning vents and putting a whole mess of stink to the offices in the whole building made us reconsider otherwise.

To the pest control crew then.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Daaang. Looks like you’re lucky it didn’t burn the building!