What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by JD Spydo »

Today I was treated with a huge Cod Fish Sandwich. It was one of the biggest sandwiches I ever ate in my life. So I pulled out the C-36 Military M390 and cut it into sizable pieces making it much easier to eat. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't use my C-36 Military or my ATS-55 Stainless RESCUE model. I've been using the Military a lot for food uses lately for some strange reason.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Brain spiked and cleaned a nice fat Dusky Flathead with my Tasman PE, HB.

Not much of a photo ... great fish. :cool:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

As screw driver. Knife is a tool for me, then last resort weapon, but using it as screw driver... Only in very critical situation when I'm trapped with no other tools.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Michal O wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:57 am
As screw driver. Knife is a tool for me, then last resort weapon, but using it as screw driver... Only in very critical situation when I'm trapped with no other tools.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

5-by-5 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:22 am
Michal O wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:57 am
Yeah :D , my bad I didn't got the point of the thread correctly at first and when I did I couldn't edit answer...
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
vivi

Post by vivi »

My Aqua Salt cut rope, opened packages, started a few fires, carved some roasting sticks, prepped a few meals etc. over the past couple of days of hiking and camping.

This is such a nice general purpose design. If I could tweak a few things I'd like to see a full flat grind, no sharpening choil, and a carbon steel like M4.

I really like this H1 version. I've been using it for a decade. I've bought many micarta & carbon steel fixed blades in that decade, but keep coming back to this knife for different reasons.

Like my Pacifics Salts, I own "nicer" knives, but I can't say I own more practical knives. Those two have me covered.

:unicorn
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The ARK cut onion and potato for my breakfast bowl this morning :)

PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:15 am

How did the tip hold up? Did you use it to clean the fish as well? Cool pic, the original "Fish Hunter" :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:17 am
[img]https://i.imgur.com/AkIo15l.jpg[/img

[img]https://i.imgur.com/7P5lNeV.jpg[/img
How good is the traction of the Proficient when "wet", Darby?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I didn’t have any issues. It is a smooth handle but the ergos are terrific. I don’t really like traction or texture that much anyway.

In self defense they talk about blood being slippery and I bet that is true at first. I have never been in a self defense scenario with a knife but I have cut up a lot of animals in my life and I find that once warm blood starts to dry on your hands that it gets pretty sticky.

I have had issues with slippery knives while cleaning fish but not while processing game.

I field dressed it, skinned it and quartered it all with the Proficient. It worked well. S90V is great for game processing with its aggressive cutting and long edge retention.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Thank you Darby! Our tastes are similar with the texturing, I do prefer smooth scales.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:35 am
Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:15 am

How did the tip hold up? Did you use it to clean the fish as well? Cool pic, the original "Fish Hunter" :)
Sorry for the late reply, Peace ole mate and Many Thanks. I get distracted ...

The tip is exactly the same as it’s always been, nice and sharp. There is no crushing or any plastic deformation or even loss of sharpness that I can detect and as you know it’s the tip that does all the cutting when cleaning fish and cutting out gill rakes.

I’ve spiked plenty and haven’t sharpened the knife in the biggest mob of long time. Ah, hahaha! Sharpening knives is like mowing lawns for me and there’s a lot to be said for H1 sharpened with a clean, crisp apex straight off a SharpMaker diamond rod. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:26 am
Excellent! Thanks for the reply :)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Tipped and pruned some chilli pepper seedlings with the knife in my pocket - the K390 Dragonfly.

The Trinidad 7 Pots are my nemesis, although I haven’t tried the yellow version. The last time I sliced off a sliver of a red 7 Pot Brain Strain and sampled it on an empty stomach, one morning in the garden, it took me a good couple of hours to compose myself again. :eek: Oh, it felt like taking a swig from a crucible of molten steel!

The Devil’s Tongues look interesting - a PA Amish bred variety, apparently, based on the habanero.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Hey, Camber. You had me goin' for a minute, wondering why you were planting chilis in November! Then I remembered that you're on the other side. I plant a few chilis every year, usually a super-hot variety, just because it's fun. After a ridiculously ample harvest a few years back, I have enough frozen to last me another decade. I don't NEED to plant anything.

Tonights use of a Spyderco for everyday tasks was in the preparation of dinner. Its enchilada night. At my side was our border COLLIE pup, who was overjoyed that I was willing to share raw CAULI flower.
IMG_9980.jpeg
IMG_9977.jpeg
kobold

Post by kobold »

The Bunny and the PM2 Maxamet affair:

With lard, salt, thyme, rosemary, potatoes, onions, garlic and bacon.
Served with homemade green chili sauce, apple sauce, and brown rice.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

kobold wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:55 am
The Bunny and the PM2 Maxamet affair:

With lard, salt, thyme, rosemary, potatoes, onions, garlic and bacon.
Served with homemade green chili sauce, apple sauce, and brown rice.
I've never had rabbit. That looks really good!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree, I'd take a plate of that. Sounds tasty.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:46 am
Tipped and pruned some chilli pepper seedlings with the knife in my pocket - the K390 Dragonfly.

The Trinidad 7 Pots are my nemesis, although I haven’t tried the yellow version. The last time I sliced off a sliver of a red 7 Pot Brain Strain and sampled it on an empty stomach, one morning in the garden, it took me a good couple of hours to compose myself again. :eek: Oh, it felt like taking a swig from a crucible of molten steel!

The Devil’s Tongues look interesting - a PA Amish bred variety, apparently, based on the habanero.
Looks great! I'd love to try growing a greater variety of hot peppers. Last year, all I planted were ghost peppers.
Isn't Trinidad 3rd or 4th hottest pepper in the world? Yikes! :eek:
What do you make with the peppers?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"