What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by Sumdumguy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:46 pm
I picked up the Mario 3D All Stars so I could play through them all with my nephew. Since he's a little young to do everything himself, I've been doing the missions for the stars and letting him be the one to collect the stars. Easing him into the controls while making him feel accomplished. It's been a blast going through SM64 again. I have it on a modded Playstation Mini but its way more pixelated and the controls aren't as smooth.

We checked out the other two titles briefly and I'm happy with how Sunshine controls, but Galaxy through me off compared to the Wii version.
Yep, I bought All Stars aswell. Same thing, 64 and Sunshine were fine. But, Galaxy didn't work right, the controls were wonky.

I've really enjoyed the Switch. Lots of classics from when I was a kid and some utterly amazing new games. I really loved Dragon Quest XI, great story, with fantastic humor and wonderful character writing. Also, I just bought Enter the Gungeon on clearance, $16 shipped. That was surprisingly good. Pretty difficult, but fun and a really cute schtick

For a long time I stopped playing games. But, the Switch has been great, now that I can actually play it.

My daughter stole my OG one. Then, I bought a Lite and eventually my wife stole that one...

A couple of weeks ago Target happened to have a single teal Lite in the case and I snagged it. Now, my wife has a new one in her favorite color and I have my yellow(wish they made Atomic Purple) one back.

All is right in the world, now. I even took some of my games out and set them up on a shelf in my cave.
(Pardon the lack of Spydies)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Used the hawkbill df salt last night to cut parachord for some new lanyards.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

Use the Manix 2 in Rex45 to cut the ropes, wire ties, tape, foam, tubing, off of an old climbing stand and replace with new. Managed to nick the edge really close to the tip in the process, so had to fix that right away on the Lansky and Sharpmaker!

This is why I have set my rule that in order to have a knife, I need to be able to use it. Not sure I'd have pulled out a $400 knife to do what I did today :)
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman
vivi

Post by vivi »

Used my C95 to baton some fatwood and spark a ferro rod to start a fire. Then carved some marshmallow roasting sticks.

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:48 am
vivi wrote:
I picked up the Mario 3D All Stars so I could play through them all with my nephew. Since he's a little young to do everything himself, I've been doing the missions for the stars and letting him be the one to collect the stars. Easing him into the controls while making him feel accomplished. It's been a blast going through SM64 again. I have it on a modded Playstation Mini but its way more pixelated and the controls aren't as smooth.

We checked out the other two titles briefly and I'm happy with how Sunshine controls, but Galaxy through me off compared to the Wii version.
Yep, I bought All Stars aswell. Same thing, 64 and Sunshine were fine. But, Galaxy didn't work right, the controls were wonky.

I've really enjoyed the Switch. Lots of classics from when I was a kid and some utterly amazing new games. I really loved Dragon Quest XI, great story, with fantastic humor and wonderful character writing. Also, I just bought Enter the Gungeon on clearance, $16 shipped. That was surprisingly good. Pretty difficult, but fun and a really cute schtick

For a long time I stopped playing games. But, the Switch has been great, now that I can actually play it.

My daughter stole my OG one. Then, I bought a Lite and eventually my wife stole that one...

A couple of weeks ago Target happened to have a single teal Lite in the case and I snagged it. Now, my wife has a new one in her favorite color and I have my yellow(wish they made Atomic Purple) one back.

All is right in the world, now. I even took some of my games out and set them up on a shelf in my cave.
That's an awesome collection! I played the **** out of those Mystical Ninja games back in the day. Memories of endless Goldeneye and Perfect Dark deathmatch with friends.

It's been a blast playing through Mario 64 again. We did the first bowser fight three times last night. Someone was a big fan of the fight!

Enter the Gungeon is the Switch game I have the most hours played. I got hooked hard when I got my Switch, and for two months didn't touch any other games. It's become one of my favorites of all time.

Don't have DQ11 on it but I have played the first ten hours on PS4. Very well done game, meshing thecM classic DQ formula with modernized design.

I do have the original trilogy on there. Just got to Dracolords castle in DQ1, then on to 2. Playing the first three games on the gameboy color was my introduction to the series, so it felt right getting them on Switch.
:unicorn
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

I just broke down some cardboard boxes with my DFly 2. To be honest it got the job done but it wouldn’t be my first choice. A little small in the hand for thick, heavy duty cardboard. Something larger in the hand would have been better.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Used my Kiwi to slice up some fruit at lunch. Other than that, I was just driving.
vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:31 pm
Used my C95 to baton some fatwood and spark a ferro rod to start a fire. Then carved some marshmallow roasting sticks.

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:48 am
vivi wrote:

That's an awesome collection! I played the **** out of those Mystical Ninja games back in the day. Memories of endless Goldeneye and Perfect Dark deathmatch with friends.

It's been a blast playing through Mario 64 again. We did the first bowser fight three times last night. Someone was a big fan of the fight!

Enter the Gungeon is the Switch game I have the most hours played. I got hooked hard when I got my Switch, and for two months didn't touch any other games. It's become one of my favorites of all time.

Don't have DQ11 on it but I have played the first ten hours on PS4. Very well done game, meshing thecM classic DQ formula with modernized design.

I do have the original trilogy on there. Just got to Dracolords castle in DQ1, then on to 2. Playing the first three games on the gameboy color was my introduction to the series, so it felt right getting them on Switch.
You and I must be the only ones who played them. Most people have no clue what it is. They are two of my favorite games on the system. One of the first games to incorporate a humorous story, with great gameplay.

I can see how ETG can rack up the hours, it's a good game.

As for the Dragon Quests, I haven't played 1,2 and 3 since they were Dragon Warrior on the NES. DQXI was my first in many years.

-Thomas Jefferson
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Used my new serrated Caribbean to cut a plastic bag, my finger, and some bubble wrap, in the order named. :rolleyes:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am
Gunny is a favorite. Wondering why I don't have a Sidekick. Order is in for the U.P.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:29 pm
Used my new serrated Caribbean to cut a plastic bag, my finger, and some bubble wrap, in the order named. :rolleyes:
You know those SE's are dangerous brother!! I was very tempted by that same knife when Vivi or Nick posted it in that deals thread. You got a killer deal on top of the already great price it was at didn't you?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Gunny is a favorite. Wondering why I don't have a Sidekick. Order is in for the U.P.

CG
It's quickly becoming a favorite of mine as well - just a great platform for all different blade shapes. The mini is an excellent edc size as well.
- Julia

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:41 pm
cycleguy wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

CG
It's quickly becoming a favorite of mine as well - just a great platform for all different blade shapes. The mini is an excellent edc size as well.

The Sidekick is easily my favorite BRK, I missed the one I wanted from the 154 run. I’m hoping they do a Cruwear run soon, since the the Crucarta Proficient was cancelled.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:43 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:29 pm
You know those SE's are dangerous brother!! I was very tempted by that same knife when Vivi or Nick posted it in that deals thread. You got a killer deal on top of the already great price it was at didn't you?
Yeah, $115 shipped, and I threw in $50 worth of Amazon points. Serrated Caribbean for $65! Can't complain about that. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:01 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:41 pm
cycleguy wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

CG

The Sidekick is easily my favorite BRK, I missed the one I wanted from the 154 run. I’m hoping they do a Cruwear run soon, since the the Crucarta Proficient was cancelled.
Absolutely. A Cruwear gunny sidekick/hunter/scandi are at the top of my BRK list...but I'm still holding out hope for some kind of Crucarta fixed blade from Spyderco, too. They know the demand is there, perhaps the numbers will work out better with a different model or manufacturer.
- Julia

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

PXL_20201023_161505872sm.jpg
Final pepper harvest of the season
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Nice, Enactive. What kinds of peppers are those? I would try to identify them but it can be tough to be specific without superb detail, or without tasting them. Are they all bell, or bell and banana? or super hot? or... I can't easily tell - I could tell jalapenos or cayenne probably, maybe habaneros but I can't see if those are habaneros. have seen red like that in them but I know the cultivars vary.

Edited because I should proofread
Last edited by defenestrate on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Made soup and fire.

vivi

Post by vivi »

Opened a shipment with my Manix. Two new strops, two new compounds, and a spare tube of the 7 micron paste I've been using.

Gonna try touching up my edge with the 40 micron.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

defenestrate wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:36 pm
Nice, Enactive. What kinds of peppers are those? I would try to identify them but it can be tuogh to be specific without superb detail, or without tasing them. Are they all bell, or bell and banana? or super hot? or... I can't easily tell - I could tell jalapenos or cayenne probably, maybe habaeros but I can't see if those are habaneros. have seen red like that in them but I know the cultivars vary.
Thanks, Defenestrate! I just saw this now...

The red and green ones are bell-- just small, late season ones, but tasty. The yellowish ones are Havasu which is a mild hot. I have grown tomatoes and herbs for years. Sometimes other veggies. This was my first season growing peppers. I will plan to grow more next year.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

*facepalm* Double Post :o
Last edited by Mushroom on Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red