What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by Albatross »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:15 pm
Albatross wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:10 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:07 pm
Used my Police to slice holes in a stromboli than section it after it baked. Finding any excuse I can to use this knife, trying to get it to stop being shaving sharp :rolleyes:
Only on this forum will you see such odd statements. :D

It's a good problem to have though; needing to use a knife more, because it just won't dull.
Haha indeed. I'm trying to see how long it takes for it to lose shaving sharpness with "realistic" uses, i.e. not raiding the back of a walmart for bails of cardboard and going to town :D Didn't expect it to take over three weeks.

K390 has always had impressive edge retention for me regardless of the grit I finish with, but this 300 grit edge is next level. Hands down the best edge retention of any knife I've owned.

I put the same kind of edge on my VG10 Police 4 and I plan to run the same experiment with it and compare. After doing casual EDC comparisons with each I may do some sort of controlled cardboard cutting test.

At some point I want to start a thread on low grit edges, but before I do I want to make a video comparing my two Police 4's with opposite edges. One with a 200-300 grit edge and one taken all the way up to the ultrafine ceramics. I'll show them each push cutting and slicing different objects, then maybe do an edge retention test with them depending on how ambitious I feel. I'll try to get to that before Halloween.
Now that would be fantastic! I'll make sure to keep an eye out for some of your test results.

I wonder what the % difference would be, between low grit and high grit for both steels. If I had to guess, I would say that K390 would have a larger performance increase (percent increase) than VG10 would, simply because of the carbide content of K390.

Every time I use K390, it impresses me. Even my K390 PM2, which isn't run as hard (from HRC data shared here) as my P4, performs very well.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Attacked some poor tomatoes with the Spydiechef!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Last night I used my camo Military to cut my early birthday cake from some friends. What a perfect use.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Used a Military to cut through and cut the ends off several long water hoses to make an extra long weather shield over security camera wires. As always it just looked at me afterwards and was like “what, thats it? Pfft...I am made to jump out of airplanes” :D
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I used my Itamae Petty to cut up salad stuff.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

My first Try Stick since having hand surgery. Had to quit when it started to rain.

My notches need work. But this is one of my favorite things to decompress after a long day. I'm glad to be able to do it again.
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

Use the almost brand new Shaman to cut a cardboard box down so it would fit in the back of my truck for a dump run. It sliced through the cardboard very nicely, and still will slice through a sheet of paper like it had not been used....

:) <------- That's me smiling right now!
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manix assisted with omelettes.

:unicorn
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

10 stitches in the heel of my left foot have left me quite a bit more sedentary than usual the past week or so.. the most action my knives have seen has been opening up copious amounts of advil packaging.. The SE Rockjumper is especially well-suited to the task, but I just had to try out the newest addition to my Native lineup for today's afternoon dose! :)

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Used a Native LW to cut patches of grass burrs out of the yard... Once I was finished I rinsed the knife under warm running water and dried it with compressed air. Added a drop of oil and good as new. Now it needs an appointment with the sharpmaker lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Patko

Post by Patko »

Used Military to clean the frames.
Attachments
IMG_m2.jpg
--mitja
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

These Z-Cut's just showed up in the mail on Saturday. Yesterday my wife used them to cut up a bunch of snacks for football. When they showed up I just touched them up a bit on the UF rods and a strop. Not that they NEEDED it, but you know how it is :)

She used both, but said she definitely prefer the SE. I'm yet to use them so I can't say, but she did say that are a little flimsy but are excellent for cutting these types of foods. We'll give them a try with some steak or chicken later this week. She still thinks they are a great buy for $20 a piece though!

Resized_20200306_164624.jpeg
Resized_20201011_144204.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I used my Millie to take a chunk out of the wood floor in my kitchen yesterday... after opening a box containing my new vintage #3 Favorite Piqua skillet. I fumbled the knife while closing one handed... :( knife seems fine.

Millie: 1, floor: 0
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

A couple of coworkers came to me last night with a piece of threaded nylon rod from one of our test fixtures. The end of the threaded stock was all chewed up and it wouldn't thread into a tapped hole. I used my AEB-L Urban to cut it off and square it up. I didn't want people to faint with a case of the vapors, so I kept the PM 2 in my pocket. ;)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Used my Chinook 2 to cut open some boxes and used the stout curved tip to get under some industrial staples and pop them out. I hit the first one with the edge because they put a lot of threaded tape over them. No damage to the edge though.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:09 am
my Chinook
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Carried my Spin for the first time in years. It freed some barbies from their packaging at a birthday party :D

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Patko wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:42 am
HAHAHAHA!

It took me a good couple of seconds to realize that I was looking at a beehive frame getting cleaned up and not something... else...

I was like, "Oh snap! Is it that kind of shindig?". :D :p
vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:44 pm
Carried my Spin for the first time in years. It freed some barbies from their packaging at a birthday party :D

Loving that SM64! It really takes me back.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:08 pm
Patko wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:42 am
HAHAHAHA!

It took me a good couple of seconds to realize that I was looking at a beehive frame getting cleaned up and not something... else...

I was like, "Oh snap! Is it that kind of shindig?". :D :p
vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Loving that SM64! It really takes me back.
I picked up the Mario 3D All Stars so I could play through them all with my nephew. Since he's a little young to do everything himself, I've been doing the missions for the stars and letting him be the one to collect the stars. Easing him into the controls while making him feel accomplished. It's been a blast going through SM64 again. I have it on a modded Playstation Mini but its way more pixelated and the controls aren't as smooth.

We checked out the other two titles briefly and I'm happy with how Sunshine controls, but Galaxy through me off compared to the Wii version.