What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by The Meat man »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:11 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:56 am
Hey steelcity16, I had thrown out the original bucket so I cut another one in half just for you: ;)
You're the one who put that siiiick edge on a police right? That's pretty darn amazing lol
Yeah, I lowered it to about 10 degrees per side. Since then I've put on a 30° microbevel. It really does make a big difference in cutting performance and I have had virtually no problems with edge damage at all. K390 can really take it! :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:55 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Hey steelcity16, I had thrown out the original bucket so I cut another one in half just for you: ;)
You're the one who put that siiiick edge on a police right? That's pretty darn amazing lol
Yeah, I lowered it to about 10 degrees per side. Since then I've put on a 30° microbevel. It really does make a big difference in cutting performance and I have had virtually no problems with edge damage at all. K390 can really take it! :cool:
Mind if I ask what your setup was for that reprofiling? I need to get one of those P4's... So many knives so few money's lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I opened a letter with my Dragonfly!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:08 pm
The Meat man wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Mind if I ask what your setup was for that reprofiling? I need to get one of those P4's... So many knives so few money's lol
Not at all! I used my Hapstone V7 sharpening system- it's a guided system similar to Edge Pro but a little more refined. The knife blade is held firmly in place on a magnetized platform leaving you free to concentrate on the sharpening. You can set the angle to whatever you want - you'll want an angle cube, or an app, to get it just right.
For stones, it comes with some SiC stones (220, 400, 800, and 1200 if I remember right) but they seemed to clog super fast so I sprung the $70 or so for the Venev bonded diamond stones (available on Amazon from Gritomatic). The diamonds cut much faster and cleaner then the SiC.
On that Police I reprofiled it using the 120 grit and 240 grit stones, then refined the edge a bit with the 400 grit stone. Strops after that (14, 3, and 0.5 micron) and it was super sharp.
Now, I'm touching it up on the Sharpmaker at 30° inclusive to form a microbevel.

Bloke has a Hapstone sharpener too: he got me onto it and was super helpful when I was looking for a good guided system.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm running similar angles on my Police 4. Great performance so far.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:20 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:42 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:21 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 pm
👍
Love seeing these blades in action!
Ditto! I enjoy all of your photos with the Hap40 Endura. That thing does more in a weekend than I do all month!! It may very well be my next purchase. Mainly from seeing your pics :spyder:
Do yourself a favor and get the HAP40 Endura indeed!!
I don't have Connors zoome-handle-version, but the burnt orange one (and personally like that color better, but it's all about the steel anyway): Amazing knife, really!!
Actually it's not my Endura Wartstein, it belongs to PeaceInOurTime. ;)

... In that case you definitely need one too!! :D
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I used the great edge retention of a s90v native so cut a few slices of cucumber for a sandwich. I sure hope it won't break from that hard use!
/ David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Couldn’t find a five gallon drum. :p

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PStone

Post by PStone »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:11 pm
... I hope people don't get tired of seeing it. ...
Trust me. Nobody is tired of seeing it. Please keep posting pics. :spyder:
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:41 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:

Not at all! I used my Hapstone V7 sharpening system- it's a guided system similar to Edge Pro but a little more refined. The knife blade is held firmly in place on a magnetized platform leaving you free to concentrate on the sharpening. You can set the angle to whatever you want - you'll want an angle cube, or an app, to get it just right.
For stones, it comes with some SiC stones (220, 400, 800, and 1200 if I remember right) but they seemed to clog super fast so I sprung the $70 or so for the Venev bonded diamond stones (available on Amazon from Gritomatic). The diamonds cut much faster and cleaner then the SiC.
On that Police I reprofiled it using the 120 grit and 240 grit stones, then refined the edge a bit with the 400 grit stone. Strops after that (14, 3, and 0.5 micron) and it was super sharp.
Now, I'm touching it up on the Sharpmaker at 30° inclusive to form a microbevel.

Bloke has a Hapstone sharpener too: he got me onto it and was super helpful when I was looking for a good guided system.
Thank you for that, I'm actually interested in picking out a guided system and really had no idea where to start, I don't want to spend a ton of money obviously, but also don't want a low quality system. So you would recommend that one?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
PStone

Post by PStone »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:45 am
Couldn’t find a five gallon drum. :p

[IMG]

[IMG]
Impressive still!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I used the Endura to cut duct tape to seal the area around my window mount air conditioner units.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:12 am
my window mount air conditioner
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 am
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:41 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Thank you for that, I'm actually interested in picking out a guided system and really had no idea where to start, I don't want to spend a ton of money obviously, but also don't want a low quality system. So you would recommend that one?

It's the only system I have any experience with, but it has worked well for me. I'd recommend it.
- Connor

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Used my red UKPK to cut my turkey sub in half.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

While mt biking I came to a really overgrown section of thorny bushes blocking the trail. Used my dragonfly to cut them so I could get thu and it couldn't poke me on the return trip...
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I used my Caribbean to cut some twine to make a quick trellis to hold up my racist blackberry bush. The fruit were getting heavy and too close to the ground.

Also, I cut a rose off and gave it to my daughter. It isn't producing a lot, but the few it grows sure are pretty.

So there is atleast one Spyderco in the post, here's a picture of it and one of the guns I'm taking out shooting today.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:55 pm
While mt biking I came to a really overgrown section of thorny bushes blocking the trail. Used my dragonfly to cut them so I could get thu and it couldn't poke me on the return trip...
That is exactly why I have a Pacific Salt SE. I constantly cut "face slappers" while riding local trails.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😂👍
Bloke wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:46 am
bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:12 am
my window mount air conditioner
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Probably doesn't count, but every so often I thin out the primary grind of my Sage 2 (even when the edge is still sharp). I don't spend super long on it, just a little bit here and there.