How permanent is RIT dying g10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stompin_boots

How permanent is RIT dying g10?

Post by stompin_boots »

hello everyone,
so i just got a camo and satin pm2 and i am considering rit dying the scales to a black/grey camo.
i am just wondering how permanent the rit dye is. does it come off in oil or alcohol or anything'?
i have seen a bunch of the videos on the process, i am just wondering how they are holding up if you have a set of rit dyed g10 scales in your pocket.
how long have you had the dye job? have you re-dyed?
does it come off on you hand with hard dirty use?
any more light you can shed would be great.
EDIT: Also, would anyone know if the s30v will take a hot vinegar patina? or what is the best way to make my shinny blade not so.
thanks
Jason
VashHash

Re: How permanent is RIT dying g10?

Post by VashHash »

Rit dye has only come off for me with abrasive wear. No solvent that I've tried including electric parts cleaner has taken it off. Your best bet after dying is to rinse the knife several times in hot water and cold water because it usually will bleed for a few days. After that it's pretty permanent.
attila

Post by attila »

The RIT dye is permanent, but it doesn't soak into the G10, since G10 is not porous. It is only a surface coating, and is prone to wear.

I found this out when my dark red-dyed light grey Cruwear Para 3's G10 got scratched and left high contrast marks. This is only an issue because the deep red is a dull warm color, and the grey is a much lighter neutral/cool color. It would be much less noticeable if I had chosen light or medium blue instead of dark red.

Just keep in mind the contrast you're likely to run into whenever the dyed surface wears or is scratched.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I would think that with the natural g10 you'd get dye on both sides that could be seen through if the outer dye began to wear off.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

My Royal Blue PM2 Camo has been a beater for years and still looks like the day I dyed it other than a few scratches and the butt where I open beers.

Check out Ferric Chloride etching. Creates a dull gray that gets darker the longer you leave it in the bath. Would likely look awesome with your new gray camo scales. I've used it on clips with success, but not a blade yet. I plan to try it on an M4 blade with an existing patina soon.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:17 pm
My Royal Blue PM2 Camo has been a beater for years and still looks like the day I dyed it other than a few scratches and the butt where I open beers.

Check out Ferric Chloride etching. Creates a dull gray that gets darker the longer you leave it in the bath. Would likely look awesome with your new gray camo scales. I've used it on clips with success, but not a blade yet. I plan to try it on an M4 blade with an existing patina soon.

Like this? Maxamet though..Image
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
stompin_boots

Post by stompin_boots »

that maxamet looks great! i would love a blade with that tone and a grey camo handle.
originally i wanted a blacked out pm2 but i had to settle with the camo and satin as it was all i could get my hands on and afford lol. sooo as its a daily user, i figure i may as well make it look like i want too, and the grey camo and etched blade sounds awesome!
anyone out there with any pics of a camo rit dyed to a grey camo? or maybe a black camo? seems like black camo out be tricky getting the dye time right.
finally, has anyone ever just dryed the whole knife, s30v, or should i just take it apart?
thanks all
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

This is a picture of a SE Military I bought dyed years ago and it still shows no signs of fade or scratches.

Before you say anything. Yes I noticed the missin scale screw.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:24 am
This is a picture of a SE Military I bought dyed years ago and it still shows no signs of fade or scratches.

Before you say anything. Yes I noticed the missin scale screw.
That Millie looks vaguely familiar Harley! ;) (Probably one of the best hybrids ever made!) I have a spare scale screw if you’d like. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's just a bit past "skin deep". It soaks into most materials but not very deep and if you can scratch the material you'll most likely scratch into the original color. I had a Ladybug Salt I dyed black and carried on my keys that wore through to the yellow all around the lanyard hole and anywhere that my keys made contact with the FRN. The good news is you can always dye them again in the future to cover wear, but if you're dying a color other than black it will likely get darker the second time around.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:09 pm
abbazaba wrote:

Like this? Maxamet though..
That turned out great! Did you mask off the pivot and lock area?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:02 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:09 pm
abbazaba wrote:

Like this? Maxamet though..
That turned out great! Did you mask off the pivot and lock area?

Yeah, you have to. I even did the liners. I just need to do a stonewash someday on the blade now.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm
Yeah, you have to. I even did the liners. I just need to do a stonewash someday on the blade now.

Or maybe don't and let natural wear develop a pattern. My favorite pocket clip is one that I acid etched and didn't stone wash, and it had developed a cool scratch pattern from wear. I etched a Para 2 and planned on doing this myself but I really screwed up the etch job (left it in waaay too long). I would go out and cut all sorts of abrasive stuff and see what happens.
~David
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Anyone ever used the Rit brand color remover to undye scales?
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

stompin_boots wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:16 pm
so i just got a camo and satin pm2 and i am considering rit dying the scales to a black/grey camo.
This is exactly the type of 'mod' that I'm looking for... One of the Spyderco dealers does custom rit dye jobs and blade acid/stone washing - they also take special requests (custom orders), so I was weighing having this done but don't know how it would turn out...

If you decide to do this yourself please be sure to update this thread with photos!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've seen digicam dyed several colors, red blue and orange mostly though. Part of how well they turn out depends on how light the overall pattern is, since that's where your color will take to the most. The patterns are random so it's hit and miss.
~David
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:11 pm
I've seen digicam dyed several colors, red blue and orange mostly though. Part of how well they turn out depends on how light the overall pattern is, since that's where your color will take to the most. The patterns are random so it's hit and miss.
Red and Blue just did not appeal to my tastes...Didn't think the dyed scales paired well with either the satin or dlc finish blades...