Sal...Coarser Stone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
threedotspoons

Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby threedotspoons » Tue May 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Sal,
Any chance of ever manufacturing a coarser ceramic stone than the 302? And is there any chance all the stones will one day be available in the 3" x 8" size like the 306UF? I've asked this before but just curious to hear it from you. Or others if they have the knowledge. I know this question keeps bubbling to the surface but I just can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please help! Take care and stay sharp!

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby Pelagic » Wed May 09, 2018 8:20 am

3x8 stones are a perfect size imo
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22172
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby Evil D » Wed May 09, 2018 8:51 am

From what I've seen there are issues with course stones wearing and losing their shape. It may not be as big of an issue for bench stones but this is why we haven't seen more course Sharpmaker rods or a course Golden Stone, etc.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
TazKristi
Member
Posts: 3101
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:00 pm
Location: Golden, CO

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby TazKristi » Wed May 09, 2018 8:54 am

threedotspoons wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:54 pm
Sal,
Any chance of ever manufacturing a coarser ceramic stone than the 302? And is there any chance all the stones will one day be available in the 3" x 8" size like the 306UF? I've asked this before but just curious to hear it from you. Or others if they have the knowledge. I know this question keeps bubbling to the surface but I just can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please help! Take care and stay sharp!
Hi, threedotspoons:
I replied to your original post on 3-May with this question. There are no plans at this time. I'm happy to share the request with our product team.

Make it a good day.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9908
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby bearfacedkiller » Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 pm

I believe Sal told me that the 3x8 UF stone was specifically made for folks with straight razors. I think that we may only see an UF in that size.

For coarser stones than the current 2x8 stones diamond stones are probably a better option than coarser ceramic.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13773
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby sal » Wed May 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi ... spoons,

Welcome to our forum.

The technology is not there at this time to make a coarser ceramic that we currently make. That doesn't mean that it may not be there in the future? When I first designed the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, I also designed the Golden Stone. The Golden Stone was a portable sharpening stone that served many needs, but the technology wasn't there to make the design for another 30 years.

The 3X8 was a pet project of mine and I met with much resistance. It's a very expensive stone to produce, sales are not robust. I would suggest a good diamond stone. We might make one of those some day.

sal

N. Brian Huegel
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Country Knives - Intercourse, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby N. Brian Huegel » Wed May 09, 2018 2:38 pm

We use a DMT Model W250EF to establish the bevels and flatness for all of the straight razors we professionally sharpen for our shop. The double sided, perforated surface is 10" x 4". The 600grit and 1200grit work quickly and efficiently. I have sharpened several hundred razors with our original DMT and do not see any appreciable surface (diamond) wear. The stone with the base also provides an excellent platform for the Norton 4000 and 8000 grit waterstones we use to polish the razor's edges. We also use the DMT DIAFLAT Lapping Plate to assure true flatness on the waterstones.

brian

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby Pelagic » Wed May 09, 2018 3:29 pm

The quickness of Sal and Kristi's responses to this thread makes me think that if anything is a definite "no", they'll let us know. Now I'm thinking back to all the "will this knife ever come out?" threads that doesn't always get an answer, and I'm just imagining Jim Carrey from Dumb & Dumber saying "so you're telling me there's a chance!!"
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9366
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby Donut » Wed May 09, 2018 5:02 pm

A long time ago I messed up the bevel on my S90V Mule, so I went on the search for a coarse ceramic stone. My search turned up the Beston 500 grit stone. It feels a lot coarser than the Medium stone, but it doesn't really cut steel super fast.

The end of me looking for things lead me to the coarser DMT stones. They work well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby Deadboxhero » Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 pm

sal wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:47 pm
Hi ... spoons,

Welcome to our forum.

The technology is not there at this time to make a coarser ceramic that we currently make. That doesn't mean that it may not be there in the future? When I first designed the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, I also designed the Golden Stone. The Golden Stone was a portable sharpening stone that served many needs, but the technology wasn't there to make the design for another 30 years.

The 3X8 was a pet project of mine and I met with much resistance. It's a very expensive stone to produce, sales are not robust. I would suggest a good diamond stone. We might make one of those some day.

sal
I would really like if you guys had your OEM add diamond or CBN to the ceramic matrix to make a super stone.
I know the cost would be high but that's where the highest performance is.

I'm at the point we're I'm going to make it myself if I have too.

I feel the limits of steel performance is held back by available Abrasives to cut it.

I'll show you why this technology is important in the next few months.

Shawn
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

threedotspoons

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby threedotspoons » Wed May 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sounds like I'll have to get me a DMT. I'll look into the Beston 500 also. Stay sharp!

User avatar
Knife Knut
Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby Knife Knut » Wed May 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 pm
sal wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:47 pm
Hi ... spoons,

Welcome to our forum.

The technology is not there at this time to make a coarser ceramic that we currently make. That doesn't mean that it may not be there in the future? When I first designed the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, I also designed the Golden Stone. The Golden Stone was a portable sharpening stone that served many needs, but the technology wasn't there to make the design for another 30 years.

The 3X8 was a pet project of mine and I met with much resistance. It's a very expensive stone to produce, sales are not robust. I would suggest a good diamond stone. We might make one of those some day.

sal
I would really like if you guys had your OEM add diamond or CBN to the ceramic matrix to make a super stone.
I know the cost would be high but that's where the highest performance is.

I'm at the point we're I'm going to make it myself if I have too.

I feel the limits of steel performance is held back by available Abrasives to cut it.

I'll show you why this technology is important in the next few months.

Shawn
Sal was being entirely truthful about the technology not being there yet. Ceramic composites are still bleeding edge technology. I had the same thought myself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceramic ... e&ie=UTF-8

As for getting their OEM, CoorsTek (yes, The beer Coors Family) to do it, it looks like they are not really in the heterogeneous abrasive media business. They are in the ceramic business. They only make homogeneous abrasives, and of that, mostly tumbling media.

My guess is you are proposing some new material for blades that is superhard or a steel or other material with superhigh carbide content. I have seen some of the discussions of these in the past; none of those end up working well for general purpose knives. Stellite (cobalt matrix composite) has too soft a matrix to resist plastic deformation, and the extreme carbide content and/or hard steels are just too obnoxious to grind/sharpen and/or too brittle due to too many carbides (like a chocolate chip cookie with more chips than dough)

Other materials besides steel just don't have the combination of material properties (hardness, toughness, etc) that make a good knife.

Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: Sal...Coarser Stone?

Postby Deadboxhero » Wed May 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Knife Knut wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:59 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 pm
sal wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:47 pm
Hi ... spoons,

Welcome to our forum.

The technology is not there at this time to make a coarser ceramic that we currently make. That doesn't mean that it may not be there in the future? When I first designed the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, I also designed the Golden Stone. The Golden Stone was a portable sharpening stone that served many needs, but the technology wasn't there to make the design for another 30 years.

The 3X8 was a pet project of mine and I met with much resistance. It's a very expensive stone to produce, sales are not robust. I would suggest a good diamond stone. We might make one of those some day.

sal
I would really like if you guys had your OEM add diamond or CBN to the ceramic matrix to make a super stone.
I know the cost would be high but that's where the highest performance is.

I'm at the point we're I'm going to make it myself if I have too.

I feel the limits of steel performance is held back by available Abrasives to cut it.

I'll show you why this technology is important in the next few months.

Shawn
Sal was being entirely truthful about the technology not being there yet. Ceramic composites are still bleeding edge technology. I had the same thought myself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceramic ... e&ie=UTF-8

As for getting their OEM, CoorsTek (yes, The beer Coors Family) to do it, it looks like they are not really in the heterogeneous abrasive media business. They are in the ceramic business. They only make homogeneous abrasives, and of that, mostly tumbling media.

My guess is you are proposing some new material for blades that is superhard or a steel or other material with superhigh carbide content. I have seen some of the discussions of these in the past; none of those end up working well for general purpose knives. Stellite (cobalt matrix composite) has too soft a matrix to resist plastic deformation, and the extreme carbide content and/or hard steels are just too obnoxious to grind/sharpen and/or too brittle due to too many carbides (like a chocolate chip cookie with more chips than dough)

Other materials besides steel just don't have the combination of material properties (hardness, toughness, etc) that make a good knife.
They would not be for stellite 6k, talonite or Dendritic Cobalt.
Those are made out of gumballs

I'll show what I'm talking about in a few months.

Shawn
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Burton Knut, Deadboxhero, Google [Bot], legOFwhat?, Mike Blue, tonijedi and 103 guests