Bring back the Dodo!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freudscher Verbrecher

Bring back the Dodo!

Post by Freudscher Verbrecher »

It seems there is quite some interest in another Dodo sprint run. I keep reading from people here on the forums wishing for another one. So what do you think? Who wants a new Dodo and what color, steel would you prefer?
Sal, do you think another run would be possible? I know the forum doesn’t really represent the whole market but I do think there is a lot of interest in this model.

I personally would love one with yellow G10 scales as I think bright colors suit the design. And I like yellow :) I don’t know if yellow is even an option for non-Salt knives though, maybe a warmer tone of yellow.
C80GOR_Ly.jpg
I also wouldn’t mind a wharncliffe version ;)
C80GOR_L Kopie.jpg
Last edited by Freudscher Verbrecher on Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hopweaver

Re: Bring back the Dodo!

Post by Hopweaver »

And make the Dodo 2 with a larger ball lock (or switch locks completely and go with a compression lock or back lock)
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I wonder if everyone wanting a new Dodo has handled one, or just want it for novelty’s sake. It is not a knife for everyone (definitely NOT for me), and I’m not sure it would be much of a seller. Just my two cents...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Freudscher Verbrecher

Post by Freudscher Verbrecher »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:23 am
I wonder if everyone wanting a new Dodo has handled one, or just want it for novelty’s sake.
Most likely not everyone but some for sure. For novelty's sake is still a reason to buy one though ;) And it's not the only one.

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
It is not a knife for everyone (definitely NOT for me), and I’m not sure it would be much of a seller. Just my two cents...
No it's not a knife for everyone but it offers some unique and useful features many people appreciate.

What exactly do you dislike about it? Ergos, blade, lock?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Dodo is Eric's best design IMHO. I'd buy one...or two :D
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I can’t help wondering how useful the DoDo's Blade would be. I have not had the opportunity to handle or try one. I suspect that it would do fine for most tasks other than food prep, and maybe even some of that. I would not expect to use it for everything. Probably carry another knife to fill the gap.

I think it is surely one of the most innovative and unusual knife designs. Given what I see in the ergonomics and blade shape it along with something like a Dragonfly or Lil' Native could be an outstanding EDC combination.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:09 am
I can’t help wondering how useful the DoDo's Blade would be. I have not had the opportunity to handle or try one. I suspect that it would do fine for most tasks other than food prep, and maybe even some of that. I would not expect to use it for everything. Probably carry another knife to fill the gap.

I think it is surely one of the most innovative and unusual knife designs. Given what I see in the ergonomics and blade shape it along with something like a Dragonfly or Lil' Native could be an outstanding EDC combination.
Only one way to find out...
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I know. The waiting begins.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Gosh I want one so much
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I hope they make one for the folks that want it but I had one and let it go. I don’t miss it at all except for the fact that I could sell it for a lot more now than I did then. Probably my least favorite Spyderco I have owned. It is cool and unique but it just had limited applications for me. It is a quirky model so I guess you either love it or hate it.

If nothing else a sprint would make a good collectors piece.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
garret

Post by garret »

A few days ago I received a CF dodo, I found it on ebay after months of searching. It seems made to measure for the hand.
The settings are very good and the block seems even more solid than the manix, I definitely love this thing!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Freudscher Verbrecher wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:45 am
It seems there is quite some interest in another Dodo sprint run. I keep reading from people here on the forums wishing for another one. So what do you think? Who wants a new Dodo and what color, steel would you prefer?
I would love one. Blurple S110V would be my current choice. For non-stainless M4 and maybe light green or blue. Maybe S90V or Maxamet, DLC blade with that nice translucent Red G-10?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Personally I’d love to own one in M4 with a different lock, maybe comp or RIL.
Scales well, Zome g10 would be pretty amazing
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Tool steel with grey handles or any model really it would be cool for this to be available again.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Dodo Salt in LC200N?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

All the Dodos!

With compression locks.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

No thanks
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Blasphemer!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, I've had several chances to own one and never thought twice to pass. I would be far more interested in a Captain or Poliwog if we're talking about unusual designs..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
I wonder if everyone wanting a new Dodo has handled one, or just want it for novelty’s sake. It is not a knife for everyone (definitely NOT for me), and I’m not sure it would be much of a seller. Just my two cents...

I definitely regret selling mine. Not sure why or how I did that. I’d love another run. Yellow g10 with LC200N or something sounds great to me.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra