Saber Ground Endura/Delica Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
levs18

Saber Ground Endura/Delica Sprint

Post by levs18 »

Wanted to see if anyone else would be interested in a sprint run with a saber ground blade? I know that the FFG gets all the love and is an amazing slicer, but I prefer the more robust saber grind for general EDC. When it comes to any harder use, the saber grind wins hand down. I’ve found this especially true for the longer blade on the Endura where I’m just more comfortable with the extra “meat” of the grind.

What do you guys think? What steel would you like to see?
Evil D

Re: Saber Ground Endura/Delica Sprint

Post by Evil D »

If toughness is a priority for you then maybe look at the Salt. It comes saber ground and H1 is plenty tough. Seems to me the FFG can still handle anything that the pivot can handle but maybe my uses differ.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I own a saber ground endura, and I basically never use it. If I'm looking for a hard use knife, I tend to use a fixed blade. Where I live, carrying a fixed blade is fairly common, so I don't need a folder in that role.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Wedges too much when cutting.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:27 am
If toughness is a priority for you then maybe look at the Salt. It comes saber ground and H1 is plenty tough. Seems to me the FFG can still handle anything that the pivot can handle but maybe my uses differ.
You’re right about H1, **** tough for sure and I think even the plain edge holds sharpness longer than people tend to say. Having said that, I just don’t love the blade style. I have a saber ground Endura in vg10, and its great. I also have a few with the Emerson wave, and it’s probably my favorite edc.

This is just one of those “variety is the spice of life” kind of things.
TomAiello wrote: I own a saber ground endura, and I basically never use it. If I'm looking for a hard use knife, I tend to use a fixed blade. Where I live, carrying a fixed blade is fairly common, so I don't need a folder in that role.
If I knew I was going to get into some very hard use, of course a fixed blade is better. However, carrying a fixed blade daily is a no-go in DC and would be extremely out of place in most of the places (cities) I go.
Deadboxhero wrote:Wedges too much when cutting.
Totally agree with you, if you’re looking for a slicer. For me, I’m not going through boxes, cardboard, etc so often. I use mine for a number of daily tasks and also train with my blades. I’ve bent and broken the tip on a FFG in training. I wasn’t surprised or upset, that knife wasn’t built for that purpose. I did it to validate the point (pun inteneded) to myself.

Having said all of that, I still would love a saber ground Endura in like 52100, 3v, or....? In my dreams, it would come in a waved version too. Ianyone else share my dream?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

levs18 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:05 am

You’re right about H1, **** tough for sure and I think even the plain edge holds sharpness longer than people tend to say. Having said that, I just don’t love the blade style. I have a saber ground Endura in vg10, and its great. I also have a few with the Emerson wave, and it’s probably my favorite edc.

Is it the rounded point you don't like? Send it to me and I'll make it pointy.
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

levs18 wrote:
If I knew I was going to get into some very hard use, of course a fixed blade is better. However, carrying a fixed blade daily is a no-go in DC and would be extremely out of place in most of the places (cities) I go.
Oh. If you live in DC, I don't know what to say. What kind of tasks do you need to do? I kind of pictured everyone who lives in DC as wearing a suit and tie and working in an office, but obviously that's just a silly stereotype.

Are you allowed to carry an Endura there? I don't know what the law is there. When I was there a couple months ago (took my kids for spring break) I didn't carry a knife at all--too many security checkpoints visiting the museums and monuments.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

There is a Saber ground S90V Native 5. Try that mi amigo. Has a better pointy tip than Saber D4
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I prefer the Saber Grind over Flat Grinds and Hollow Grinds and would love to see this.

A wedge is very hard to break.
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:08 am
levs18 wrote:

Is it the rounded point you don't like? Send it to me and I'll make it pointy.
Very generous offer man, thank you! It is the less pointy, upswept tip. How do you fix that?
TomAiello wrote: [quote=levs18 post_id=<a href="tel:1230694">1230694</a> time=<a href="tel:1525626337">1525626337</a> user_id=24260]

Oh. If you live in DC, I don't know what to say. What kind of tasks do you need to do? I kind of pictured everyone who lives in DC as wearing a suit and tie and working in an office, but obviously that's just a silly stereotype.

Are you allowed to carry an Endura there? I don't know what the law is there. When I was there a couple months ago (took my kids for spring break) I didn't carry a knife at all--too many security checkpoints visiting the museums and monuments.
I’m not comfortable saying what is “allowed” or not. As you saw though, many buildings require screening. A lot of it also has to do with where you work, and what you do. Your stereotype isn’t that far off. Most people you’d pay attention to are in business attire. Tourists wear whatever. There are also a number of LEOs in everything from police uniforms to full tactical gear. I’m usually in business or business casual attire.

In my perfect world, having both an Endura length and delica length blade with the saber grind in a more premium steel and a wave would be ideal. This really is just to experience a new steel. VG10 really is a solid performer but i’m a knife nut.
twinboysdad wrote: There is a Saber ground S90V Native 5. Try that mi amigo. Has a better pointy tip than Saber D4
I believe that was a g10 handle though, right? I actually like the frn this application. It also keeps the cost down. I have an s90v yo2. Hard to get pointier than that, but I also don’t think of the yo2 as a hard use knife. When I carry it, I almost always carry something else too.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The ZDP Endura was originally saber grind. I bet you could find one of those on the secondary market, if you wanted one.

I'd expect Endura/Delica sprints would have to be a Japanese steel, but my personal preference for what you're talking about (a tough, saber ground Endura/Delica sprint) would be K390, which is already used in the Police (made in Japan).
Last edited by TomAiello on Mon May 07, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

levs18 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:28 am

Very generous offer man, thank you! It is the less pointy, upswept tip. How do you fix that?

I can reprofile the spine to remove the hump at the tip. It's a pretty simple job. There are a few guys here who prefer a pointier tip and many have done it.
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:45 am
levs18 wrote:

I can reprofile the spine to remove the hump at the tip. It's a pretty simple job. There are a few guys here who prefer a pointier tip and many have done it.

Guilty
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:45 am
levs18 wrote:

Well that sounds awesome. Anyone have picture by chance?
levs18

Post by levs18 »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:35 am
The ZDP endure was originally saber grind. I bet you could find one of those on the secondary market, if you wanted one.

I'd expect Endura/Delica sprints would have to be a Japanese steel, but my personal preference for what you're talking about (a tough, saber ground Endura/Delica sprint) would be K390, which is already used in the Police (made in Japan).
K390 would be badass, from what I’ve read. I will absolutely see if I can find a ZDP variant. Thanks for the suggestion!