Short Review of Pakkawood Dfly and a suggestion for future Dflys

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Short Review of Pakkawood Dfly and a suggestion for future Dflys

Post by ZrowsN1s »

What a nice knife. Got a classy look to it. I ordered some wood wax to help maintain and preserve the scales (they're already starting to show a little wear at the edges from 2 days of carry at work). I like the scales and I'm glad I picked this knife up, but I don't think I would buy Pakkawood scales again. (Although, I'm very happy I have at least one knife with them for the "novelty" of it.)

What I really like about this knife is the HAP-40 and the Liners.

This is my first Dfly with Liners and I have to say it is a big upgrade from the standard Dfly. The FRN models all have a little flex and blade play to them. This knife is SOLID, and has a nice little bit of weight to it. And though this is my 3rd Hap-40 knife, I was reminded of how much I like this steel. Anecdotally, I was cutting CAT 5 cable at work with it yesterday. The lack of vertical blade play was noticeable compared to my FRN Dfly, and the Hap 40 cut through the cables cleanly leaving no visible damage to the edge. I am very pleased with this.

This brings me to my suggestion for future DFly's... We NEED more G-10 Dragonfly Sprints with liners. If any companies like JB Outman, BladeHQ, KnifeCenter, or others are reading this, PLEASE I beg you for more G-10 Dragonfly Exclusives with Premium steels. And Sal (I know you're reading this :) ), more G-10 Sprints please!

For work, top of my list would be a colored G-10 (blue, red, green, orange, yellow, purple, ect. NOT grey, tan, or brown), ZDP, Super Blue, Hap 40, ect., Plain Edge Hawkbill. Second on my list would be the standard Dfly blade shape.

I'd like hawkbill because as I mentioned earlier I pull cut a lot of cables, zipties, tape, and other things at work, and would enjoy the added stability that liners bring, as well as the ability of the tool steels to cut things like CAT 5 cable without edge damage. But I understand if the rest of the world isn't ready for a G-10 PE HBDfly yet, and would be happy with a sprint or exclusive of the standard model as well. Thanks for listening :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
attila

Re: Short Review of Pakkawood Dfly and a suggestion for future Dflys

Post by attila »

I agree that we need more G10 Dragonflies! Both lined and linerless would be welcome, but let's at least get more lined versions.

I was even considering getting the current foliage green G10 Dragonfly to swap a ZDP blade into a better handle, but that would leave an unused VG10 blade hanging around, and I already have too many unused blades.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I suppose if one uses a Dragonfly for hard cutting liners might be good, but for me, I like the lightness of the FRN models, the sharp blade and using it for my regular cutting needs. If I were cutting tough, hard materials frequently I would choose a different knife. I’ve had three Dragonflies and never experienced vertical blade play.

What is with the scales that you wouldn’t buy more?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:24 pm
I suppose if one uses a Dragonfly for hard cutting liners might be good, but for me, I like the lightness of the FRN models, the sharp blade and using it for my regular cutting needs. If I were cutting tough, hard materials frequently I would choose a different knife. I’ve had three Dragonflies and never experienced vertical blade play.

What is with the scales that you wouldn’t buy more?
I love my light weight Dflys, I have 6. Your blades don't wiggle a little? It's nothing catastrophic, but there's a definite blade play difference between the linerless and the lined (to me anyways). As for hard cutting with little knives, what can say? I like little knives, they are office appropriate, and though I don't do "a lot" of hard cutting, I do some. I like being able to use the Dfly for that, it's not that I couldn't with the linerless, but lined is better.
As for the Pakkawood scales, smooth scales are not my favorite and I would prefer something that was a little more forgiving of rough use i.e., scratches, dents , dings, sweat, moisture, water, rubbing alcohol. They're not made of glass, but they are definitely the least durable scales I own. I can already see slight wear along the edges after 3 days. I wouldn't trade the one I've got, I'm really enjoying it, but I wouldn't get anymore.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

Surprised you find the Pakkawood to be so delicate. Mine has held up better than my G10 examples when it comes to showing wear. YMMV I guess.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I have an FRN Dfly and the vertical blade play is quite noticeable. It got worse when I tried cutting some heavy cardboard with it. It's not enough to keep me from using it, but almost. Even though I know a little VBP is not uncommon with FRN backlocks, I don't like it and it's still something I'm trying to get used to. More options with liners for the Dfly would be a great improvement in my mind.

I was very tempted to go for the Pakkawood Dfly - it is such a beautiful little knife - but opted instead for a Military. Hopefully there are still some Dflys left by the time my knife budget recovers. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I must not be using my DFs very hard. I kept reading about vertical blade play in them and the Delica, but I have not experienced that.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:08 pm
I must not be using my DFs very hard. I kept reading about vertical blade play in them and the Delica, but I have not experienced that.
No vertical play in any of my Dragonflies or Delicas. A couple have a tiny bit of side-to-side play but it's very slight. I've some of used mine pretty hard at work and they've held up surprisingly well. My G10 DF is still rock solid.

I received my Pakkawood Dragonfly yesterday. It's very nice. My G10 DF is smoother but it's also more broken in.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've experienced a bit of vertical blade play (or lock bar rise/flex) in the Delica as well. If you hold the knife in saber grip while cutting through something tough you can feel the lock bar come up slightly and start to press against your thumb. Like I said it's not the end of the world but it is noticeable.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like the robustness of the liners but I hate the added weight especially on such a small knife. If I were only carrying one knife and it had to be small I might be ok with it but I carry a Dragonfly as a companion blade and I especially like that it's extremely light so the weight is a downer. I've also used the crap out of my Dfly Salt and I believe you'd have to do something really stupid to break it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

I have one FRN DF2 with enough vertical play to make me not want to use/carry the knife...

I had 2 additional FRN DF2's with no such issue... One of them is the DF2 Salt Hawkbill - and what I really like about this knife is the thickness of the spine... The blade looks and feels a lot more robust than the standard blade on the DF2...

Personally, I would love to see the DF2 manufactured across the board with a thicker blade - and of course with more G10 options/variants... I'm a big fan of this model...
hom76

Post by hom76 »

I own 6 frn DF2 and none has vertical play. One of them had side to side play before but tightening the pivot screw a little bit had fixed the problem
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wolfgaze wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:35 am
The blade looks and feels a lot more robust than the standard blade on the DF2...
I'm pretty sure they're the same thickness, the standard blade shape just has a swedge ground at the spine which makes it seem thinner. The lock up should be the same on both.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

I haven't noticed blade play in a the ZDP-189 Dragonfly and I like the small size, light weight, & blade thickness. For a more robust knife, the Lil' Native with compression lock is a good complement to the Dragonfly.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:25 am
I'm pretty sure they're the same thickness, the standard blade shape just has a swedge ground at the spine which makes it seem thinner. The lock up should be the same on both.
Yeah I guess it is a bit visually deceptive:

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:21 pm
I like the robustness of the liners but I hate the added weight especially on such a small knife. If I were only carrying one knife and it had to be small I might be ok with it but I carry a Dragonfly as a companion blade and I especially like that it's extremely light so the weight is a downer. I've also used the crap out of my Dfly Salt and I believe you'd have to do something really stupid to break it.
I agree not worried about the lightweight breaking. I just like how sturdy the lined feels though. As far as the weight, in the pocket I don't really notice the extra weight at all. In hand I like the extra weight. The only place the extra weight is a negative for me is shirt pocket carry.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think the Dragonfly FRN is possibly Spyderco’s perfect knife. I can’t think of anything I would want to see done differently.

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have 6 DF's: G10, Nishijin, and FRN. The G10 is my favorite, followed by the Nishijin. The FRN models are nice when weight is an issue, but I prefer the others.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 pm
I think the Dragonfly FRN is possibly Spyderco’s perfect knife. I can’t think of anything I would want to see done differently.
It's _one_ of their perfect knives, for sure.
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Had to get a dragonfly and what better than a first than the pakkawood exclusive...I like the knife, but am having to get used to the size...I still want spyderco to attempt a xl dragonfly with a 3.25" blade and non back lock. Gimme spydie flicks and fast deployment...u pick the steel...I'm in