Steel that takes the keenest (sharpest) edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
leozinho

Steel that takes the keenest (sharpest) edge?

Post by leozinho »

I like to sharpen, and admit I'm a sucker for the parlor tricks (whittling hair, silently cutting phone book paper, etc.)

So, among the steels that Spyderco uses, which ones take the keenest edge?

Bonus points if it's available on one of the "classic" EDC models (I'll let everyone decide what's a classic EDC) and isn't a sprint/exclusive that will cost me an arm and a leg.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Steel that takes the keenest (sharpest) edge?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Of the standard models, ZDP-189 takes quite a sharp edge.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Maybe one of the razor blade steels like AEB-L. Basic, high hardness carbon steels will be high on the list, as will cruwear, m4, 4v, etc.

I'm drawing a blank on which ones have a finer grain structure right now.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

You'd be looking at steel with small carbides then. A low alloy steel and not vanadium like most high end steels.
I'd say 52100 (carbon steel) or ZDP-189 (small chromium carbides and high hardness) could fit the bill. Basic VG-10 is not bad either. Japanese White/Blue carbon steel in some of the sprint runs.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Good old VG10 will take an edge that will do what you want. It is easy to get it seriously sharp. BD1 will as well. They both have a low allow content compared to the vanadium steels and both sharpen to a super sharp edge easily.

The upcoming CalyJr in Super Blue would be an outstanding choice. It is a steel that will handle acute edge angles and takes a very sharp edge very easily.

All steel will get silly sharp. I think what you want sort of comes down to ease of sharpening.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I've also heard good things about HAP40.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:55 pm
All steel will get silly sharp. I think what you want sort of comes down to ease of sharpening.
I'll admit I don't know what OP actually wants, but (I think) your suggestion of Super Blue and my suggestion of ZDP is more what he had in mind when asking for "what gets the sharpest" (a question I asked a lot when I came to this forum). If ease of sharpening is what he's after I'd say plain edge H-1 is the easiest to get razor sharp, but it only stays that way for a day or two. SB and ZDP get very sharp and keep that edge long enough to be useful.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

leozinho wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:26 pm
I like to sharpen, and admit I'm a sucker for the parlor tricks (whittling hair, silently cutting phone book paper, etc.)

Bonus points if it's available on one of the "classic" EDC models (I'll let everyone decide what's a classic EDC) and isn't a sprint/exclusive that will cost me an arm and a leg.

FWIW a recent thread seemed to indicate that many people find Spyderco's ZDP-189 to be consistently scary sharp right out of the box.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Any steel will get crazy sharp if you got the right abrasives to cut vanadium and go to super high grit levels. But some steels just have a way better refined edge (less aggressive) than others right off the same grit level stone. Even on coarser stones.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:55 pm
Good old VG10 will take an edge that will do what you want. It is easy to get it seriously sharp. BD1 will as well. They both have a low allow content compared to the vanadium steels and both sharpen to a super sharp edge easily.
I agree with BFK on this!

I'll also note that Cruwear & HAP40 are pretty easy to get crazy sharp.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
leozinho

Post by leozinho »

In theory, the ease of sharpness wouldn't matter, as I simply asked for the sharpest edge possible. However, in practice, it does matter because if I don't have the skill or tools to reach that theoretical sharpness, it's pointless. :D So yes, ease of sharpening should factor into the equation.

I do have an assortment of Japanese water stones (up to the 8k Kitayama - which may or may not be great on super steels), a Tnat, DMT diamond stones, Sharpmaker with ultra fine rods, all kinds of strops and pastes to include Ken Schwartz CBN emulsion in half micron. So again, in theory, I should be able to sharpen the latest and greatest steel. In theory. Whether my skills are there is another question. :D Either way, it's fun to try.

I appreciate all the replies. Keep them coming.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

For me, out of the steels I’ve worked with 52100 gets the sharpest, the fastest and with the least amount of time. H1 and cruwear aren’t far behind.
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

Cruwear takes a keen edge?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SalomonA wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 4:37 pm
Cruwear takes a keen edge?
Very. And it takes it with ease. Cruwear probably responds better to micro beveling than any steel I own, including carbon steels like 52100 and SB. What impresses me most about cruwear is how sharp it will get at lower grits. Takes a very sharp and very aggressive edge anywhere in the 400-1200 grit range but also responds well if you like higher refinement.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

I am still "keen" on ZDP
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

How would you say cruwear compares to m390 in terms of holding a working edge and holding a keen edge, disregard toughness and stainless qualities
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I was shocked at 52100's readiness to take a keen edge. I haven't used it enough to confirm that its working-edge is short-lived...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
npad69

Post by npad69 »

from my experience, cruwear easily takes up this really bitey edge you can feel when you touch the edge lightly with your fingers. pretty scary especially if your hands are wet.

mbs-26 takes a far keener edge than vg10 on my kitchen knives, but the latter holds the working edge a lot longer
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

leozinho wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:26 pm

All steels are capable of taking an edge beyond what human hands can make them.