The Spyderco Military - Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

The Spyderco Military - Discussion

Post by Pelagic »

We are very fortunate that we have so many choices when it comes to this knife. I have a few questions about future plans for this model.

1. Are there any plans to make a titanium framelock version of the military with the CQI improvements? All the ones I have seen thus far exhibit the original features.

2. Can the blade from a Ti framelock Military be swapped with a blade from a liner lock Military?

3. With KW's inventory getting low, do we know about when the next sprints or exclusives will be available?

4. Can we have a clue as to what steel may be offered next? :D

5. Is DLC coating being considered for a possible Maxamet model/release? Sal did say once that a Maxamet model will happen, but I realize things change and it is a very difficult steel to work with.

6. Are the latest CQI improvements essentially the final version of the Military (until further notice), or are there any plans to continue making small changes? I don't see what could be improved, I am just curious.

I realize several of these questions may be asking too much for one reason or another, I am simply throwing it out there. Feel free to post anything you want here involving the Military (be it opinions, questions, answers, reviews, testing, etc.) aside from ideas for a Military 2. I'd like this thread to focus on the tried and true classic model (minus the wonderful CQI improvements).
Last edited by Pelagic on Fri May 04, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Re: The Spyderco Military Discussion

Post by Evil D »

I KID I KID :p

1. I would assume so, but with the added cost of producing those, they may be pushing to sell the inventory that already exists before doing the CQI. It may also just be a far lower seller, so it could be some time before it happens. Who knows.

2. I wanna say yes, but don't quote me. I'm fairly certain you won't be able to swap an old CQI blade into a new CQI handle or visa versa, but again don't quote me. I know the pivot is different (which is likely enough to prevent it alone) but I don't know if that also changed the lock face/geometry, or how much it differs from a frame lock to liner lock. Seems like I've seen it done on older pre CQI models though.

3. No idea. Best to just stalk their social media pages and the forum for the most recent news.

4. I'm personally hoping for Maxamet or K390.

5. Seems like DLC is getting a lot of attention lately. Which figures, since I lost interest and have moved away from black blades for the most part. When I wanted a DLC Yojimbo 2 all I heard were crickets, now everyone is on the DLC bandwagon.

6. None of us really know, but I wouldn't be surprised if a 4 way clip option happened before we see a Military 2. Or, the clip options could also stand as a strong selling point for the Military 2 if/when it comes, so I could see good reason to hold off and save that for the 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D, hilarious picture/caption! :D

For the OP: I'd like to hear about people's experiences using their favorite Millies. What do you like about the Military, and what do you not like about it? What is your favorite Military?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:15 pm

For the OP: I'd like to hear about people's experiences using their favorite Millies. What do you like about the Military, and what do you not like about it? What is your favorite Military?

My favorite is probably the 52100, but I'm also quite fond of the M4/jade and my reground S110V.

Use wise I use them for everything really. I started out using my first as a yard work knife cutting saplings and such and immediately came to appreciate the one thing I had always hated about this knife which is the huge handle. It may be overkill for casual EDC but when you really need to use a knife for real work and you're wearing gloves it really shines. Even the liner lock which isn't my favorite lock just plain works, and again it works really well with gloves on. It's just a really well designed work knife. I think you really need to use one to fully appreciate it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Meat man wrote:

I like the blade length. It's perfect for my work related needs and personal preferences. Regarding blade length, FOR ME, the pm2 is a bit small and the police 4 is beginning to be overkill... Although I'm splitting hairs at that point because I do like those models. Great ergos, solid construction in a lightweight package (but the added weight of the titanium model wouldn't bother me at all... It would just be a more normal weight for a blade this size), excellent blade geometry, premium blade steels. There's not much I don't like about it. If I wanted to get picky, the pivot could be more robust as well as the stop pin and washers, which would add durability (which is really just a thing of user confidence, not a necessary upgrade), without adding size or much weight (maybe 0.1oz). I have a feeling the Cruwear model could be my favorite if I owned it. But right now I'd have to say the m4 model I recently aquired, although my s110v military is currently the one finding its way to my pocket most. The edge m4 takes is just nasty. I am used to sharpening s110v so the high level of sharpness seems to come out of nowhere. I plan on getting 204p and maybe even the Ti/cf s90v (and selling my blue BBS exclusive s90v) so this could change.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
MacLaren

Re: The Spyderco Military - Discussion

Post by MacLaren »

Would just LOVE to see either a 10V, S110V or a K390 version.
A 10V in dark red/maroon g10 would be cool imo.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:03 pm

There is the "blurple" Military in CPM S110V.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:19 pm
MacLaren wrote:

Lol, can not believe I forgot that. I'm tired. Been a long day.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:19 pm
MacLaren wrote:

Lol, can not believe I forgot that. I'm tired. Been a long day.

:) Same here. A long week in fact.
- Connor

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Well I guess I just hadn't looked thoroughly enough, because there are certainly Ti CQI militaries.

I've been taking a close look at pictures and I honestly think the blades on CQI g10 models and CQI Ti models could be swapped. I'm imaging an all titanium Millie with 204p blade... Rugged construction, strong, a pleasure to both sharpen and use, absolutely no worries of rust, and great performance. Hmmm....
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:05 pm
Well I guess I just hadn't looked thoroughly enough, because there are certainly Ti CQI militaries.

I've been taking a close look at pictures and I honestly think the blades on CQI g10 models and CQI Ti models could be swapped. I'm imaging an all titanium Millie with 204p blade... Rugged construction, strong, a pleasure to both sharpen and use, absolutely no worries of rust, and great performance. Hmmm....
Check out my Military with CTS204P blade swapped into a CF/TI handle. Both are CQI, with the Reeve Integral Lock.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They were discoed right as the CQI was rolling out so they are out there but not many of them.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:35 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Check out my Military with CTS204P blade swapped into a CF/TI handle. Both are CQI, with the Reeve Integral Lock.

Ohhh my lord. I like that!!
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I've heard from everyone who has purchased the KW exclusive Ti/CF s90v model that it has superior build quality, fit and finish, smoothest action, etc.

Does anyone own the fully titanium (CQI) model? These obviously can't be trusted but I've seen a few Amazon reviews that talk about the action not being as smooth. I'm wondering how the build quality of the full Ti model compares to the highly praised Ti/CF model from KW.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:

I've used the following Millies:

S60V single liner
CPD D2 sprint x2
BG42/CF sprint
S30V
S30V DLC
CTS204P
S90V/CF

Favorite things about the millie:

- size to weight ratio. I like big, lightweight folders.

- ergonomics

- blade shape. I like the thin tip and straight spine.

things I dislike:

- liner lock. I don't like the cut-out to make unlocking it easier, makes the handle less comfortable. I dislike the lack of a self close and stopped carrying my Millies for that reason.

- tip down only. No reason it can't have a tip up option. I've had three of mine modded for tip-up and it makes the knife work better for me.

I'm really hoping the Military 2 features tip up carry and a lock with a strong self close, I miss carrying one.

Favorite versions are S30V DLC for maximum corrosion resistance in an easy to sharpen steel, CPMD2 for taking an extremely good edge with ease, and 204P for the handle color and impressive edge holding on the steel.
:unicorn
Strider

Post by Strider »

I recently acquired my first military, 52100. In use, it has been awesome. When it came to actually carrying it, it didn't click with me right away until I started carrying it in my back pocket. Now, all is good.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Military is design genius. For a long time I avoided this model because I have small hands and thought it would be too long. The PM1 came out and I liked it, then the PM2 came out and I had what I thought was the perfect folder. I still really like the PM2, but I finally tried a Mili and only then understood how great the design was.
The extra blade length (over the PM2) really does come in handy.
The blade profile provides a lot of cutting edge, and a really useful pointy end.
The grind cuts great.
Tip down was something I thought I would not like, but it is not only functional on a blade this long, but I lost interest in a tip up version because tip down is very ergonomic.
I have been leery of liner locks, but this one just works. Solid and reliable lock up, but easy to manipulate one handed, except in heavy winter mits, when no folder is a one-hander. I did not like the RIL models or Ti handled models nearly as well as any of the G10 or CF models, and sold the one I had.
The handle is very ergonomic, even for someone with small hands. It works well in gloves and mittens, or bare-hands.
It has been available in every steel I want (although I would probably buy a 4V or Van4e one too). Current EDC is the cruwear model.
I actually would not change anything. Nothing to fix!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

edited to add - I do swap out the clip for an MXG deep-carry clip on all my Milis. Just a personal preference.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I want a millie but with a 3.5 inch blade, a compression lock, and four way clip.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

dogrunner wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 pm
Military is design genius. For a long time I avoided this model because I have small hands and thought it would be too long. The PM1 came out and I liked it, then the PM2 came out and I had what I thought was the perfect folder. I still really like the PM2, but I finally tried a Mili and only then understood how great the design was.
The extra blade length (over the PM2) really does come in handy.
The blade profile provides a lot of cutting edge, and a really useful pointy end.
The grind cuts great.
Tip down was something I thought I would not like, but it is not only functional on a blade this long, but I lost interest in a tip up version because tip down is very ergonomic.
I have been leery of liner locks, but this one just works. Solid and reliable lock up, but easy to manipulate one handed, except in heavy winter mits, when no folder is a one-hander. I did not like the RIL models or Ti handled models nearly as well as any of the G10 or CF models, and sold the one I had.
The handle is very ergonomic, even for someone with small hands. It works well in gloves and mittens, or bare-hands.
It has been available in every steel I want (although I would probably buy a 4V or Van4e one too). Current EDC is the cruwear model.
I actually would not change anything. Nothing to fix!
Agree
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.