Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Shaman sprint steel, refined

Cruwear
39%
M4
11%
10V
4%
Vanax
7%
204P
14%
LC200N
8%
Maxamet
6%
4V
7%
3V
4%

Total votes: 270

Sumdumguy

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Post by Sumdumguy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:59 pm
How about a compromise? Micarta and S110V :D
BLUE JEAN MICARTA S110V TAKE MY MONEY!!!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

oooo, blue jean micarta would be fun for another sprint.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

I wonder how far out a Shaman sprint / exclusive is? I suppose first of 2019 would be soonest, unless an exclusive can be done before a sprint??
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:03 pm
Mike51772 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:13 pm
Sal.......how about Carbon Fiber with M390??
That's Eric's leaning, CF with a super steel like S90V or S110V. It's up for discussion now. Though I must admit, having carried a Shaman quite a bit, I'd like one in Cruwear and brown canvas Micarta. :p

sal

I like Carbon Fiber with M390 as well.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

M390 will outsell s90v by a wide margin I believe. I don't really care because i'm WAY more interested in a cruwear version. I just think that more s90v sprints will equal more sluggish sales right now.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:48 pm
M390 will outsell s90v by a wide margin I believe. I don't really care because i'm WAY more interested in a cruwear version. I just think that more s90v sprints will equal more sluggish sales right now.

I agree. Especially if DLT Trading did one with Red and M390. Burgundy Canvas Micarta or their even just their Red G10 from the PM2 would be cool. Add an option for a DLC blade (half satin half DLC) and I would think they have a winner. I feel like there is a glut of S90V right now and it wouldn't sell nearly as well as M390/CTS-204P or CTS-XHP (orange CS exclusive?) for a stainless steel. All that said though, I still think that Cruwear, 3V, 4V, Rex45, 52100, and M4 are all better suited for the Shaman.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

oh man, DLC M4 would be fun too.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:08 am
Hard to imagine we won't see one of those in jade g10.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:14 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fingers crossed...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well maybe and maybe not, I've been trolling the crap out of their FB page begging for a Shaman and or Sliverax in M4/jade for at least a year now and they go off and do oddball out of production models like the Lum Tanto instead. It's starting to feel like there's hesitation on Spyderco's part to make a Shaman variant. I can understand the Sliverax, we don't see many collaboration sprints (then again the Lum was) and the Sliverax is maybe a bit eccentric for some buyers but the Shaman seems to me like it has everything going for it. I'm really surprised it hasn't taken off like wildfire. At the same time other models hit the ground running like the Para 3 and Lil Native that both practically debuted with several variants.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The hesitation on the Shaman probably has to do with price. I wonder how the sales are actually going? That said, the Lum Tanto was expensive and it sold well.

Honestly, now that we are seeing a Yojimbo in M4 I expect to see most of the Golden models including the Shaman, ManixXL, Manix Backlock and at least one of the Lil' Natives in the Jade/M4 configuration..
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:01 am
Well maybe and maybe not, I've been trolling the crap out of their FB page begging for a Shaman and or Sliverax in M4/jade for at least a year now and they go off and do oddball out of production models like the Lum Tanto instead. It's starting to feel like there's hesitation on Spyderco's part to make a Shaman variant. I can understand the Sliverax, we don't see many collaboration sprints (then again the Lum was) and the Sliverax is maybe a bit eccentric for some buyers but the Shaman seems to me like it has everything going for it. I'm really surprised it hasn't taken off like wildfire. At the same time other models hit the ground running like the Para 3 and Lil Native that both practically debuted with several variants.
I think this has to do with timing. It debuted shortly before the MAP and price adjustment. That before/after price difference has been continually mentioned ANY time any reviewer brings up the Shaman.

I did a passaround with mine that helped a lot of folks change their minds, but we're susceptible to repetition. If all you hear is "the Shaman is good but not at its current price", it'll start to stick.

That said, a Cruwear/micarta sprint in my mind is likely to "reset" the preconception, at least on the reviewer/social media side. It's going to be a beast that everyone wants to get their hands on. More Shamans in more hands, and an exciting sprint may drive extra sales.
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:27 am
The hesitation on the Shaman probably has to do with price. I wonder how the sales are actually going? That said, the Lum Tanto was expensive and it sold well.
I believe the price is the primary issue with the current s30v model. However based on statements from many people, I believe a sprint / exclusive with an "upgraded " steel would make all the difference in the world when some are deciding whether or not to purchase it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:25 am
Surfingringo wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fingers crossed...

Yes, DLC M4 please. Im kind of over the Jade with uncoated M4. The Jade with DLC is a winner though. Hopefully they will have DLC on all of the future models. I was pretty bummed that DLC wasnt offered on the Native. And id still like a DLC M4 Millie.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:20 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fingers crossed...

Yes, DLC M4 please. Im kind of over the Jade with uncoated M4. The Jade with DLC is a winner though. Hopefully they will have DLC on all of the future models. I was pretty bummed that DLC wasnt offered on the Native. And id still like a DLC M4 Millie.
Honestly, my experiences with my Advocates taught me a lot. M4 is incredibly good, but even with a patina, I was fighting corrosion every few days. My DLC M4 PM2 has required nothing even close to the same level of management. Sure, I'm wiping it down with rust preventatives as well, but aside from a faint mottling when seen in the right light, the finish has 1) held the rust preventative and 2) prevented the kind of aggressive corrosion I saw on bare M4.

From my experiences with D2, I've never had it corrode on me, and that's @ 12 chromium. M4 is about 5, and cruwear is about 7.

I'll try to carry my Cruwear equivalent mule and see if how it behaves.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

$180 is a lot to gamble on with a model you may or may not like. I had no intention of getting the S30V model at that price, I figured I'd wait for the right sprint to come a long and then I'd try it out (if at all).

I think as you said a lot of people were hesitant to buy the Shaman in S30V. So it got less hype and enthusiasm from AFI's to drive sales for the general public. Compared to a model like the Para3, that was priced such that initial sales were high, and AFI's bought it and raved about it (I also think the general public likes smaller knives, I could be wrong though).

Name recognition helps too, the Para3 piggybacked off of the PM2's popularity, the Shaman may have done better as the Native XL. Maybe not.

Anyways you can possibly see why the Para 3 has many sprints and the Shaman has none.

The Q-Ball and D'Allara suffered from the high priced base model problem as well. One of the many reasons I think Spyderco should release a small Sprint run of a new model BEFORE they release the plain black and S30V or VG10 model to the general public. It would give 1.AFI's a good reason to buy the new model (especially if it's higher priced) 2.An opportunity for some hype to build up before release to the general public.

I ended up getting a Shaman in a trade and it has not left my pocket since. It is an amazing knife. I handed it to a friend last night and he was immediately impressed as well, he said 'yeah they should make their other handles like this'. The handle is a winner, the beefy stonewash blade is impressive. The blade shape, flat spine, and 50/50 choil are very useful, the ergos and the open close action are excellent...

If someone asked me now I would tell them without a doubt the base model is worth the price. But if not for a chance trade, I'd have never known that.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:34 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:20 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Fingers crossed...

Honestly, my experiences with my Advocates taught me a lot. M4 is incredibly good, but even with a patina, I was fighting corrosion every few days. My DLC M4 PM2 has required nothing even close to the same level of management. Sure, I'm wiping it down with rust preventatives as well, but aside from a faint mottling when seen in the right light, the finish has 1) held the rust preventative and 2) prevented the kind of aggressive corrosion I saw on bare M4.

From my experiences with D2, I've never had it corrode on me, and that's @ 12 chromium. M4 is about 5, and cruwear is about 7.

I'll try to carry my Cruwear equivalent mule and see if how it behaves.

Yeah, I know everyone says DLC isnt really for corrosion prevention, but as you said it does seem to do a decent job of preventing it and holding any prevention products. I really like DLC. Id seriously probably have it on all of my knives if given the option.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:17 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

*snip*

If someone asked me now I would tell them without a doubt the base model is worth the price. But if not for a chance trade, I'd have never known that.
Handling is believing. I've seen people who've complained about it being "not a $180 knife" handle it and come away raving.

I'm honestly tempted to carry it more just to provide an opportunity for the skeptics to handle it.

Of course, it's also my favorite spyderco now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The way I see it is, the Shaman is about $45 more than the standard Para 2, and for me I'd spend that much on custom contoured scales alone, let alone a knife that is vastly superior in ergonomics (for me). I don't think the price is unreasonable for what you get, it just came at a time that I was (and still am) on the Sliverax train, and I've really been carrying my Autonomy more than anything. I've got a stack of really good Militaries and a slew of other really good knives, so for $180 I just need it to really wow me and I'm not sure it can dethrone my Sliverax.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:39 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:17 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

*snip*

Handling is believing. I've seen people who've complained about it being "not a $180 knife" handle it and come away raving.

I'm honestly tempted to carry it more just to provide an opportunity for the skeptics to handle it.

Of course, it's also my favorite spyderco now.
Waiting patiently for the cruwear model
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.