Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Shaman sprint steel, refined

Cruwear
39%
M4
11%
10V
4%
Vanax
7%
204P
14%
LC200N
8%
Maxamet
6%
4V
7%
3V
4%

Total votes: 270

blues

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Post by blues »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:42 pm
Very excited about this
Really? Hadn't noticed. :p

(Appears to be infectious. :cool: )
- Retired from the chase -
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

Cool thread, cool knife. Definitely interested in picking up a sprint/exclusive Shaman. Seems the general consensus is Cruwear and I'm okay with that!

I am partial to OD Green and I think that ODG micarta would look great on the Shaman. Brown micarta would be nice as well.

ODG or brown micarta; either would look absolutely savage with a black stonewashed blade. While were at it, make the hardware and clip black as well. So picture it: beautifully contoured brown micarta scales, off-setting a black blade with a deep stonewash working finish, topped off with black hardware accents.
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

Has anyone thought about K390 steel? Just wondering why its not on the list?

I love those Burgundy micarta scales, that with a carbon steel and I'd definitely be buying one!
(Does anyone know if you can dye micarta? brown would be pretty neat though, I could live with it. lol.)

I've never been interested in the Shaman, but the sprint run sounds too good to pass up.
The only thing now is to make sure a few of these reach Canada so I can have one ;)
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I wonder how the Micarta tests are going @ Spyderco. I'd love to get this one in natural brown micarta with CPM Cruwear stonewashed. And please no black DLC, that would ruin the look + cruwear doesn't need it. I can't wait for it. This would make a nice Christmas present.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Rutger wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:52 pm
And please no black DLC, that would ruin the look + cruwear doesn't need it. I can't wait for it.

I dont consider DLC to be about "needing" it for corrosion protection. S30V certainty "needs" DLC less in that context than Criwear yet there are a ton pf DLC S30V blades. I believe it was originally added as a anti-reflective coating from what Ive read, but unless you are a sniper or a ninja I think most people just like the looks. I really enjoy the looks of DLC the same way people enjoy different colors of G10 where a different color isnt "needed". I think the DLC looks great with black scales, or as a constrst to most colors. Id buy either DLC or Stonewash with this Cruwear Micarta Shaman, but I dont think DLC is out of place at all here. I would prefer that all exclusive s and sprints had half of the run in DLC to give us DLC lovers the option
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

Got to say I'm not a fan of DLC. It looks great at the start, but after a while its just covered in scrapes (I use all of my knives). A plane blade looks better for much longer. And 'technically' I live in a desert, not a lot of rust here.. lol.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:25 pm
Rutger wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:52 pm
And please no black DLC, that would ruin the look + cruwear doesn't need it. I can't wait for it.

I dont consider DLC to be about "needing" it for corrosion protection. S30V certainty "needs" DLC less in that context than Criwear yet there are a ton pf DLC S30V blades. I believe it was originally added as a anti-reflective coating from what Ive read, but unless you are a sniper or a ninja I think most people just like the looks. I really enjoy the looks of DLC the same way people enjoy different colors of G10 where a different color isnt "needed". I think the DLC looks great with black scales, or as a constrst to most colors. Id buy either DLC or Stonewash with this Cruwear Micarta Shaman, but I dont think DLC is out of place at all here. I would prefer that all exclusive s and sprints had half of the run in DLC to give us DLC lovers the option
I get ya.

But many seem to want DLC for corrosion with these tool steels. Cruwear is pretty stain/rust resistant and can get a nice patina. I personally have no issues with corrosion so i only pick DLC for the looks. Black with some bright orange/yellow/red can be great. With this natural micarta it would look bad in my opinion. But i get it that tastes differ and some fear rust more than others. Just give me the option for a plain or stonewashed blade and i am happy. But with such a small sprint run i don't think we can have both DLC and plain.
Shane77

Post by Shane77 »

I give this alot of thought, and in the end I'm another vote for cru-wear,
Any of the choices provided would be ok, and I have a feeling in time we will see many of them on the Shaman.
Awsome poll!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I voted 3V many moons ago and I stand by my vote, but I definitely would love to see a St Nick's Red G10 DLC 4V and DLC Rex45 with Burnt Orange G10. Ill definitely be grabbing a Cruwear Micarta if that comes to fruition.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d be interested in cruwear/micarta. I would not like to see any blade coatings.
mpcgimli

Post by mpcgimli »

Respectfully, I do not understand why so many here prefer a steel of the tougher class, i.e. CRUWEAR, 3V, 4V to a steel of the S90V, S110V or M390 class for the Shaman sprint.
I thought the main benefit of a tougher steel for folding knives is that it allows for a thinner blade, edge geometry etc. without sacrificing toughness compared to a thicker blade made out of a less tough steel.

Because of the thickness of the Shaman-blade, I believe it should still be very tough, and allow for hard use , even with a steel like S90V.

To sum it up, I believe that the additional toughness of the blade we would get from using a steel like CRUWEAR over e.g. S90V is less significant than the additional wear-resistance we would get from using a steel like S90V over e.g. CRUWEAR.
Last edited by mpcgimli on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swigert

Post by swigert »

mpcgimli wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:21 am
Respectfully, I do not understand why so many here prefer a steel of the tougher class, i.e. CRUWEAR, 3V, 4V to a steel of the S90V, S110V or M390 class for the Shaman sprint.
I thought the benefit of a tougher steel for folding knives is that it allows for a thinner blade, edge geometry etc. without sacrificing toughness compared to a thicker blade made out of a less tough steel.

Because of the thickness of the Shaman-blade, I believe it should still be very tough, and allow for hard use , even with a steel like S90V.

To sum it up, I believe that the additional toughness of the blade we would get from using a steel like CRUWEAR over e.g. S90V is less significant than the additional wear-resistance we would get from using a steel like S90V over e.g. CRUWEAR.
Well to be fair we will prob see both. Forum obviously wants Cruwear and it looks like we will get it. And Sal lives s90v so I’m sure we will see that also. I’d also guess we see M4 from blade ha at some point also.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I can't speak for everyone but if I end up with a Cruwear Shaman it's most likely getting a regrind.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I have a very strong belief that even the s30v model is plenty tough due to geometry. Still, looking forward to that cruwear!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I know putting a time frame on things is something that is not really done at spyderco, but is this "likely" to come out before next spring? Due to some unexpected and large vet bills I will probably only pick up one knife in the next 3-4 months. I want to make sure I don't miss this.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I passed on owning the Shaman for a long time, mostly because I’m all about my Mili for edc and the PM2 when I want something a little smaller.

I jumped on the $130 Shaman Cabelas deal posted a few days ago and my knife showed up today. To me, the Shaman is basically almost everything I love about the PM2 and Manix2 in one knife. It’s beautiful.
I asked a while back what the Spyderco version of the MT Socom Elite was...and the unanimous vote was the Shaman. The knife is definitely worth the $130 I paid for it. I’ll carry it for the next two weeks and see if it’s going to be worth the $200+ a sprint is going to cost:)
I’m now complaining about pricing, I get that good tools cost money. (Socoms are $275+) I’m just trying to figure out if the Shaman is going to replace a few of my future knives that would have been PM2s.
Yet another addicting knife from Spyderco.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
ΖΞΓΛ

Post by ΖΞΓΛ »

Micarta would make a clear statement for Shaman. I would also consider ivory micarta or natural for colors. I find SW is something that makes Shaman such a charmimg folder.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Come on people. give a vote for 4V. I would love to see St.Nicks Knives put together a Shaman in that beautiful configuration they did with the Para3 and Delica
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Cruwear with micarta would make this knife unstoppable, preferably black or green canvas micarta.
Last edited by levs18 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I handled the Shaman as a prototype like three years ago and remember really liking it. I finally picked one up and wow! Amazing! It is a sturdy and well built knife capable of hard use without being a sharpened pry bar. I am really digging it. Bring on the Cruwear! I am down for 4V too but in my experience Cruwear is way more corrosion resistant so I lean that way.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?