Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Shaman sprint steel, refined

Cruwear
105
40%
M4
30
11%
10V
9
3%
Vanax
18
7%
204P
38
14%
LC200N
18
7%
Maxamet
15
6%
4V
20
8%
3V
12
5%
 
Total votes: 265

Bodog
Member
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:03 am
Location: Tierra del Sol, USA Earth

Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Bodog » Thu May 03, 2018 7:58 am

Please disregard the last one and recast your vote. I'm leaving off some of the ones that didn't appear to get much intial traction and adding some that i didn't think about that a lot of people have asked for in the past. Trying to keep it to American made steels as much as possible due to cost of shipping and importation.

And dang it, i forgot s90v on this one. If that is your vote please specify. I'll try to count up the votes for steels here in several days and give a tally if your vote isn't on the list.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.

Sjucaveman
Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm
Location: Central Mn

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Sjucaveman » Thu May 03, 2018 8:32 am

I think s90v is a miss on a tough knife like this. This folder needs tough steel like 4v, m4, cruwear.

Preferably scales that aren't jade.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 1916
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Larry_Mott » Thu May 03, 2018 8:37 am

M4, Satin finish and the check will be in the mail! :)
EDIT: And for the love of God and small children - NO JADE/SNOT scales!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

Bodog
Member
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:03 am
Location: Tierra del Sol, USA Earth

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Bodog » Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 am

I'd prefer a tough tool steel too
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.

ugaarguy
Member
Posts: 694
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:07 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby ugaarguy » Thu May 03, 2018 12:46 pm

I don't like this poll. You have 7 tool steels and only 3 stainless options. Of the stainless options, two are specialty nitrogen steels, and only one is a conventional steel. I went with Vanax because it's supposed to be the toughest stainless steel on the market. Also, it would be totally different since Spyderco already offers tool steels on other folders.

User avatar
Liquid Cobra
Member
Posts: 6252
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:38 pm
Location: British Columbia, CANADA

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Liquid Cobra » Thu May 03, 2018 12:56 pm

S90V
Most recently acquired: Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 2868
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby wrdwrght » Thu May 03, 2018 1:01 pm

To hear The Gringo speak of it, Vanax is the next big thing. I listen to Lance.

ETA: I am open to Cruwear, I hasten to add.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun May 26, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc <— a mere data-point

RECENT ARRIVAL: 83mm “Mini” Manix. ON RADAR: Maxamet PM2; Lil’ Native slipjoint; Siren. IN DREAMS: V4E Military2 stop-lock; 4V Native Chief; Slysz Swayback; C27 serrated Jess Horn; Vanax Massad Ayoob (SE) sprint; LC200N Breeden Captain (recurve SE) sprint.

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1161
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby koenigsegg » Thu May 03, 2018 1:37 pm

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:01 pm
To hear The Gringo speak of it, Vanax is the next big thing. I listen to Lance.
I can't wait for a Mule or other production knife in this steel
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV

User avatar
Hopweaver
Member
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:15 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Hopweaver » Thu May 03, 2018 1:42 pm

One more for S90V, although I ended up voting for 204P in the poll since I thought it would be the best performing Stainless of the ones listed.
:spyder: Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :spyder:

Rutger
Member
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Rutger » Thu May 03, 2018 2:17 pm

What's up with all the love for Cruwear? Thought 3V and M4 outperform it. Am i missing something?
Cruwear is not something i like with the default light grey scales it comes in generally.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9031
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby bearfacedkiller » Thu May 03, 2018 2:27 pm

^
I would say it falls somewhere in between 3V and M4 with 3V being tougher and M4 being more wear resistant.

For me Cruwear offers the best balance of properties. It sharpens like a basic steel, it is almost as stainless as a stainless steel, tough like a tool steel and has the wear resistance to compete with many of the premium vanadium steels like XHP and S30V.

There is no steel that excels in every category. If there was we would be able to pick the best blade steel. Instead we are forced to give up one attribute in exchange for another and find the balance point for our intended application. Cruwear may not be the best in any area but it is good at everything and bad at nothing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

blueblur
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: The Keystone State

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby blueblur » Thu May 03, 2018 3:03 pm

Put me down for cruwear. I like the properties and it seems to come in at a good price point.

Rutger
Member
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Rutger » Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm

From what i read people seem to prefer the ease of sharpening and the type of edge Cruwear gives. Cause it doesn't seem to be better in the standard toughness, corrosion resistance and edge retention points compared to similar well rounded steels like 3V or M4. I guess the difference is in the little things you can't always measure.
I don't care too much about about corrosion resistance and with the thick blade on the shaman i don't think toughness is a big issue. So i personally would aim for a steel with more edge retention.

I like this steel chart from Gary Creely to compare steels. It's not perfect science and complete, but gives a nice guideline.
Image

ugaarguy
Member
Posts: 694
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:07 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby ugaarguy » Thu May 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Rutger wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm
From what i read people seem to prefer the ease of sharpening and the type of edge Cruwear gives. Cause it doesn't seem to be better in the standard toughness, corrosion resistance and edge retention points compared to similar well rounded steels like 3V or M4. I guess the difference is in the little things you can't always measure.
I don't care too much about about corrosion resistance and with the thick blade on the shaman i don't think toughness is a big issue. So i personally would aim for a steel with more edge retention.

I like this steel chart from Gary Creely to compare steels. It's not perfect science and complete, but gives a nice guideline.
Image
Who is Gary Creely? He has Elmax as one of his least tough stainless steels. Alpha Knife Supply says Elmax is of the toughest stainless steels they've tested. I'm confused.

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Pelagic » Thu May 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Wow, whata difficult choice. I went with 4v because it would be something new. Surprised at how many people are diehard for cruwear when 4v would perform very similarly. Both are essentially between 3v and m4 in regard to edge retention/toughness.

I would be very enthusiastic about nearly every steel on this list.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

User avatar
Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Deadboxhero » Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Rutger wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm
From what i read people seem to prefer the ease of sharpening and the type of edge Cruwear gives. Cause it doesn't seem to be better in the standard toughness, corrosion resistance and edge retention points compared to similar well rounded steels like 3V or M4. I guess the difference is in the little things you can't always measure.
I don't care too much about about corrosion resistance and with the thick blade on the shaman i don't think toughness is a big issue. So i personally would aim for a steel with more edge retention.

I like this steel chart from Gary Creely to compare steels. It's not perfect science and complete, but gives a nice guideline.
Image
Charts charts charts

Nah, cruwear has more edge stability then M4 meaning better performance with polished edges

It also has similar wear resistance to M4, it's tougher than M4, less likely to chip at the edge then M4 even at higher hardness.

4v is tougher but cruwear had more bite at the edge at the same finish and took a better crisper edge. But 4v is tougher at insane hardness just not as aggressive at the edge.

Cruwear is less reactive then 4v and M4 will resist stain and rust better, However like D2 and 3v it's not a stainless steel.

3v doesn't have the strength of cruwear, and will roll when pushed to the limit vs cruwear will just hold it's shape, less rolling but less malleable.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1161
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby koenigsegg » Thu May 03, 2018 4:22 pm

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm
Rutger wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm
From what i read people seem to prefer the ease of sharpening and the type of edge Cruwear gives. Cause it doesn't seem to be better in the standard toughness, corrosion resistance and edge retention points compared to similar well rounded steels like 3V or M4. I guess the difference is in the little things you can't always measure.
I don't care too much about about corrosion resistance and with the thick blade on the shaman i don't think toughness is a big issue. So i personally would aim for a steel with more edge retention.

I like this steel chart from Gary Creely to compare steels. It's not perfect science and complete, but gives a nice guideline.
Image
Charts charts charts

Nah, cruwear has more edge stability then M4 meaning better performance with polished edges

It also has similar wear resistance to M4, it's tougher than M4, less likely to chip at the edge then M4 even at higher hardness.

4v is tougher but cruwear had more bite at the edge at the same finish and took a better crisper edge. But 4v is tougher at insane hardness just not as aggressive at the edge.

Cruwear is less reactive then 4v and M4 will resist stain and rust better, However like D2 and 3v it's not a stainless steel.

3v doesn't have the strength of cruwear, and will roll when pushed to the limit vs cruwear will just hold it's shape, less rolling but less malleable.
How does K390 compare to Cruwear and M4 on all these properties? I haven't had cruwear yet but K390 was awesome to sharpen and took a crazy good edge.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV

Rutger
Member
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Rutger » Thu May 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm
Nah, cruwear has more edge stability then M4 meaning better performance with polished edges

It also has similar wear resistance to M4, it's tougher than M4, less likely to chip at the edge then M4 even at higher hardness.

4v is tougher but cruwear had more bite at the edge at the same finish and took a better crisper edge. But 4v is tougher at insane hardness just not as aggressive at the edge.

Cruwear is less reactive then 4v and M4 will resist stain and rust better, However like D2 and 3v it's not a stainless steel.

3v doesn't have the strength of cruwear, and will roll when pushed to the limit vs cruwear will just hold it's shape, less rolling but less malleable.
Thanks for the insight!
Seems nice and since the steel ain't too expensive it could be a good combo with the Shaman. I guess most people are fine with either Cruwear, 3V or M4. I still would prefer K390/10V for the extra edge retention, but if Cruwear would be the first sprint i'd take it too.

User avatar
Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Deadboxhero » Thu May 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Rutger wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:48 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm
Nah, cruwear has more edge stability then M4 meaning better performance with polished edges

It also has similar wear resistance to M4, it's tougher than M4, less likely to chip at the edge then M4 even at higher hardness.

4v is tougher but cruwear had more bite at the edge at the same finish and took a better crisper edge. But 4v is tougher at insane hardness just not as aggressive at the edge.

Cruwear is less reactive then 4v and M4 will resist stain and rust better, However like D2 and 3v it's not a stainless steel.

3v doesn't have the strength of cruwear, and will roll when pushed to the limit vs cruwear will just hold it's shape, less rolling but less malleable.
Thanks for the insight!
Seems nice and since the steel ain't too expensive it could be a good combo with the Shaman. I guess most people are fine with either Cruwear, 3V or M4. I still would prefer K390/10V for the extra edge retention, but if Cruwear would be the first sprint i'd take it too.
Yeah I voted Maxamet because it's the best bargain, especially when I don't have to make it :D
That stuff doesn't want to be made into a knife but my my is it wonderful to use.
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

User avatar
Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Postby Deadboxhero » Thu May 03, 2018 5:14 pm

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:22 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm
Rutger wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm
From what i read people seem to prefer the ease of sharpening and the type of edge Cruwear gives. Cause it doesn't seem to be better in the standard toughness, corrosion resistance and edge retention points compared to similar well rounded steels like 3V or M4. I guess the difference is in the little things you can't always measure.
I don't care too much about about corrosion resistance and with the thick blade on the shaman i don't think toughness is a big issue. So i personally would aim for a steel with more edge retention.

I like this steel chart from Gary Creely to compare steels. It's not perfect science and complete, but gives a nice guideline.
Image
Charts charts charts

Nah, cruwear has more edge stability then M4 meaning better performance with polished edges

It also has similar wear resistance to M4, it's tougher than M4, less likely to chip at the edge then M4 even at higher hardness.

4v is tougher but cruwear had more bite at the edge at the same finish and took a better crisper edge. But 4v is tougher at insane hardness just not as aggressive at the edge.

Cruwear is less reactive then 4v and M4 will resist stain and rust better, However like D2 and 3v it's not a stainless steel.

3v doesn't have the strength of cruwear, and will roll when pushed to the limit vs cruwear will just hold it's shape, less rolling but less malleable.
How does K390 compare to Cruwear and M4 on all these properties? I haven't had cruwear yet but K390 was awesome to sharpen and took a crazy good edge.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78494&hilit=K390

All in this thread
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DigDug72, Google [Bot], helix99, Hobnob, Majestic-12 [Bot], mjcarp, shunsui, steelcity16, Vivi and 32 guests