Spyderco Calypso Jr. Sprint Run Knife Gray (Aogami Super Blue)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lorelei

Re: Spyderco Calypso Jr. Sprint Run Knife Gray (Aogami Super Blue)

Post by Lorelei »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:42 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:31 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:18 pm
Nice setup SG!

What angle are you going for?
Angle cube says 15°. I figure it's actually less than that.

Many of the Spyderco FFG blades wind up with the edge bevel being about 2.5dps shallower than indicated by the angle cube, so at 12.5dps you're in the right ballpark for Super Blue !

Mine arrived yesterday! YAY!! ...but wait

0923181257.jpg

and this inside :eek:

0923181256.jpg

but fortunately there's a happy ending :D

0923181259.jpg

Grrr... Instagram! how do I insert an image without the viewer having to click a link?? everything I tried failed :mad:

...same with imgur, what am I doing wrong?? it's not like I haven't ever posted a dang image on a forum (only for like the last 20 years!) !?!
I love a happy ending! I like that antique keyboard you have there too!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Joey wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:41 am
Very good! Let’s see some photos of that new edge.
I always struggle to get good pics of the edge.

Word of warning! I always tape off my blades to minimize the damage caused by slurry. I did the same this time. The tape started to come up and some water got underneath, which is not unusual. When I was done I peeled the tape off the rest of the way and found substantial corrosion right at the line where the tape was still adhered to the blade. Some Flitz and a little elbow grease removed most of it but there's still some visible staining. It almost looks like faux lamination lines plus a little bit of spotty staining. :D No worries. I bought one to be a user and one for back up so it's all good. I'll let this one patina over time and see what I end up with.
Joey wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:41 am
I don’t like my angle, and need a new one. I’m very new to sharpening, and only have a sharpmaker. I don’t dare attempt a new angle if I’m working on it manually. I need a better sharpening system because I don’t have the patience. I got a Kershaw to take a nice angle, but that was nothing I want to do again with the sharpmaker.
I really like my Hapstone V7. They have a new (less expensive) sharpener called the Hapstone M2. I'm not sure what limitations it has (if any) compared to the more expensive models. It looks like a quality fixed-angle system for about the price of a exclusive Para 3. I probably would've bought this one had it been available 10 months ago.

https://www.gritomatic.com/collections/ ... -sharpener

https://www.amazon.com/Hapstone-M2-Prec ... apstone+m2
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

awa54 wrote:
Many of the Spyderco FFG blades wind up with the edge bevel being about 2.5dps shallower than indicated by the angle cube, so at 12.5dps you're in the right ballpark for Super Blue !
I try to rest the blade on the flat tang. Even so I usually figure the bevel ends up a little less than 15 dps considering the angle of the grind. I don't think it's as much as 2.5 dps on this one considering the fairly thin blade stock.. Maybe 1°-1.5° less on each side. I'm not even sure it's even that much.

Congrats on getting your Calypso Jr. I'm really liking mine.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Lorelei wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:02 pm
awa54 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:31 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:18 pm
Nice setup SG!

What angle are you going for?
Angle cube says 15°. I figure it's actually less than that.

Mine arrived yesterday! YAY!! ...but wait

0923181257.jpg

and this inside :eek:

0923181256.jpg

but fortunately there's a happy ending :D

0923181259.jpg

Grrr... Instagram! how do I insert an image without the viewer having to click a link?? everything I tried failed :mad:

...same with imgur, what am I doing wrong?? it's not like I haven't ever posted a dang image on a forum (only for like the last 20 years!) !?!
I love a happy ending! I like that antique keyboard you have there too!

I love my old IBM type M "clicky" board, and they're immortal, so until (if?) this one kicks I have no reason to get a modern mechanical or a Unicomp. ...plus PS2 is still better for gaming than USB :D

Sharp Guy wrote:
awa54 wrote:
I try to rest the blade on the flat tang. Even so I usually figure the bevel ends up a little less than 15 dps considering the angle of the grind. I don't think it's as much as 2.5 dps on this one considering the fairly thin blade stock.. Maybe 1°-1.5° less on each side. I'm not even sure it's even that much.

Congrats on getting your Calypso Jr. I'm really liking mine.

ahh, couldn't tell for sure from the pic, if you're going from the tang the error should be very minor. I'll probably go for sub-15dps when I decide to sharpen mine. Nice polish on that edge!

Does anyone know if this is a Moki knife or Sakai? and is the HT the same between the solid and laminate SB? I felt like the gray Sprint series laminate SB was a bit softer than any of my Blue 2 kitchen knives...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:31 pm
Does anyone know if this is a Moki knife or Sakai?
Moki
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:18 pm
Hi SpyderCuse,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you, Sal!
Joey

Post by Joey »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:02 pm

I always struggle to get good pics of the edge.

I really like my Hapstone V7. They have a new (less expensive) sharpener called the Hapstone M2. I'm not sure what limitations it has (if any) compared to the more expensive models. It looks like a quality fixed-angle system for about the price of a exclusive Para 3. I probably would've bought this one had it been available 10 months ago.

https://www.gritomatic.com/collections/ ... -sharpener

https://www.amazon.com/Hapstone-M2-Prec ... apstone+m2
Looks glorious :) I’m no steel expert, but I could imagine this super blue would take a good polish when I first got my Calypso. Thanks for the warning. Seems to be pretty darn corrosive!

Thanks for the recommendation. Seems to be a pretty sweet alternative to the 250+ sharpeners. I’ve seen a review on YouTube regarding the Hapstone a few weeks back. I love the idea of a smaller “less capable” system for less dough. The M2 seems like a win. With St. Nicks Para 3 dropping, I’ll have to wait a while before I can afford to buy one. Let’s just hope Cutlery shoppe holds off on their para 3 release until I can recover.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice edge there Sharp Guy. Can't wait to hear how the knife works for you as a user.

Here's some edge photos of mine. I did the bulk of the reprofiling freehand on 400, 1000, and 6000 grit Japanese waterstones. (SiC), then maybe half a dozen passes at 40° with the Sharpmaker UF, then a bit of green chromium oxide stropping on leather. I'm far from a professional sharpener but I was pleased how well the steel responded:
DSC_2555-3008x2000.JPG
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Another photo:
DSC_2507-2406x1600.JPG
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Looks great Connor! Superblue seems to get hair popping sharp quite easily.

@Joey...I don't know for sure but I don't think that M2 is actually "less capable". It looks like it has all the features I like about the V7. The ability to use a variety of stones is a key one.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:50 pm
^ Looks great Connor! Superblue seems to get hair popping sharp quite easily.

Thanks! I really love my S110V and Maxamet, but I have to admit it's nice to use a less-challenging steel for a change..

(Don't tell DeadBoxHero I said that.) :D
- Connor

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks! I really love my S110V and Maxamet, but I have to admit it's nice to use a less-challenging steel for a change..

(Don't tell DeadBoxHero I said that.) :D
Haha! No worries! I bet he has plenty of experience with Superblue.
Fng5

Post by Fng5 »

I’m fairly new to spyderco’s, but was intrigued by this knife and was able to get one at the normal price. I’m impressed. I have a native and a handful of delicas and NONE are as smooth as this jr! It flicks open with ease and is solid. I’m very happy with this little knife.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Sharp Guy wrote:
@Joey...I don't know for sure but I don't think that M2 is actually "less capable". It looks like it has all the features I like about the V7. The ability to use a variety of stones is a key one.
Yeah that’s why I had the quotes up :) it seems like a great way to go. I always thought I’d never buy a nice rig, but I keep spending the same amount on knife purchases. That’s a good way to look at it!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Joey wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:05 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Yeah that’s why I had the quotes up :) it seems like a great way to go. I always thought I’d never buy a nice rig, but I keep spending the same amount on knife purchases. That’s a good way to look at it!
That was how I justified it! :) I also told myself it was my Christmas and Birthday gift last year.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I do that often, but who doesn’t XD we all kid ourselves when we click “submit order” most of the time.

I have an incredible stash of retro games/equipment that I piled up after my divorce. They kept me happy then. I’m happily married these days, and they make me happy now. I get to sell off bits and pieces to pay for my knives! People go crazy for the retro games these days.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

BBS has them listed, but do they actually have them?
fixall

Post by fixall »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:35 am
BBS has them listed, but do they actually have them?
They do have them in stock... but as usual they’re scalping pretty heavily since this is a hot release. $120 for the Caly Jr. +$15 shipping and no returns allowed. Bento is one of the absolute last dealers I’d resort to buying a Spyderco from.
Last edited by fixall on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:04 am
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:29 am
brj wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:53 am
Just got mine, too bad I have disregarded the Calypso line until now cause this is nothing short of fantastic...
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:19 pm
My only quibble so far is that the rear end of the spine of the blade (behind the jimping) does not line up with the lockbar when it’s in the open position.
Like this?

Yup, that’s it. Are other folks’ ones like this? Not that it’s a big deal but in looking at my other Calypso Jrs., none share this issue (there’s a smooth continuation from lockbar to blade spine, certainly nothing like this recent sprint).

Yes, that's how mine is too.

I was lucky enough to score two and both have the same issue . Bummer ! It's unacceptable....shame on you Moki :o I wonder if Sal has something to say about this :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mike_Arta

Post by Mike_Arta »

Psst... River's Edge has 'em