Spyderco Calypso Jr. Sprint Run Knife Gray (Aogami Super Blue)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Supacede

Re: Spyderco Calypso Jr. Sprint Run Knife Gray (Aogami Super Blue)

Post by Supacede »

Yup, my mistake, little too excited..

Just called customer service, evidently I'm #53 on order list and they're expecting a shipment of 64 pieces, (unknown eta) sooo, might be worth placin a preorder if what he said is accurate.

Hope this helps a few of ya get one!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I signed up for notifications at 5 places and have heard nothing yet. I even keep looking on ebay and nothing there. The ZDP Caly jr. was my introduction to sprint hunting and pre ordered 4 or 5 and got every one eventually. It's getting more and more difficult all the time. The Rex 45 was easy compared to this one.

I really love that lightweight slicing machine and having it in superblue is right up my alley. I hope I get one. I'm resigned to the fact I'm going to have to pay more than MSRP and even then it's not a sure thing. The steel, the platform and the price make this one the toughest one I've ever tried.

It used to be I could count on KC and GP to get me one because they knew me and I was a big spender there. Now GP won't even take pre orders and KC takes them knowing they will never fill them.

Joe
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:03 am
I signed up for notifications at 5 places and have heard nothing yet. I even keep looking on ebay and nothing there. The ZDP Caly jr. was my introduction to sprint hunting and pre ordered 4 or 5 and got every one eventually. It's getting more and more difficult all the time. The Rex 45 was easy compared to this one.

I really love that lightweight slicing machine and having it in superblue is right up my alley. I hope I get one. I'm resigned to the fact I'm going to have to pay more than MSRP and even then it's not a sure thing. The steel, the platform and the price make this one the toughest one I've ever tried.

It used to be I could count on KC and GP to get me one because they knew me and I was a big spender there. Now GP won't even take pre orders and KC takes them knowing they will never fill them.

Joe
That, and flipping has become so mainstream that people actually brag about it.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yeah. Of the ZDP ones I bought years ago I gave 1 or 2 away and sold the rest at cost and paid shipping. I ordered up a storm that time because the first run ( burgundy maybe? ) sold out before I could get one. I pre ordered up what I thought would give me 1 or 2 from the next run ( black ones ?) but ended up not keeping any. I finally did get a burgundy ZDP from a forumite who wasn't using his and I still have that. These Caly jr's are great users for sure.

Joe
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:10 am
Yeah. Of the ZDP ones I bought years ago I gave 1 or 2 away and sold the rest at cost and paid shipping. I ordered up a storm that time because the first run ( burgundy maybe? ) sold out before I could get one. I pre ordered up what I thought would give me 1 or 2 from the next run ( black ones ?) but ended up not keeping any. I finally did get a burgundy ZDP from a forumite who wasn't using his and I still have that. These Caly jr's are great users for sure.

Joe
My post may have come across wrong. Just in case, I wasn't accusing you of flipping. I really enjoy your posts. I think that there's plenty of people who get on multiple lists hoping to get one of something, and end up getting a few. That's not flipping, really.

I'm talking about people who find something that's hard to get and clear out the stock, mostly out of greed, leaving none for others that don't have any, and then go bragging about it.

It's within their rights to do that, and I'm not saying that it should be stopped, but to brag about it is callous.

I already got mine, so my post isn't about being self-serving.
davidscottish

Post by davidscottish »

I did the pre-order on Optics planet, hoping it comes through as described. Been looking forward to this one since I saw it up on Blade HQ, at beginning of the year.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nate wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:05 pm
My KC pre-order shipped today, yay!! :D

Realized on the confirm that my order was placed on Dec 8th and shipped pretty much 9 months later to the day, not too bad lol.
I'm kind of surprised that we haven't heard of KC shipping more pre-orders yet. Yours shipped on 9/7. I placed my pre-order the same day as you did. So I kind of expected mine would've shipped by now. Oh well I'll keep waiting patiently I guess.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:37 am

I'm kind of surprised that we haven't heard of KC shipping more pre-orders yet. Yours shipped on 9/7. I placed my pre-order the same day as you did. So I kind of expected mine would've shipped by now. Oh well I'll keep waiting patiently I guess.

Yeah, thought we'd see more posts on KC pre-orders as well. Mine arrived on Monday, but I haven't had time to do do much with it yet. Actually got a CC numbered piece, which surprised me. Guess it could be that they had a few of those that went out first and their regular shipment is still being processed.
:spyder:
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

Supacede wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:39 am
Just ordered at optics planet, looks like there's more...
Dang I ordered successfully this morning and later received an email explaining Optics Planet lost my credit card informantion. And now my order lists “no availability estimate.”
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I hope folks that are still looking for these manage to grab one! Managed to snap some family pics of the FRN Calypso Jrs. It’s interesting to note the differences among bug logos and that the latest one is the only one to sport Sal’s makers mark. According to Spydiewiki, the black PE and SE VG-10 ones were offered in 1999, followed by a dark gray VG-10 2004 sprint, a burgundy ZDP-189/420J2 2005 sprint, and a black ZDP 2007 Moteng exclusive.

I’m really glad that folks have another opportunity to try this model out since they’re fairly hard to track down these days. I’ve been on the lookout for a PE stainless steel one for 5 years now and I still can’t find a decent one that wasn’t beat to all get out. That said, I am FAR more excited to see what Sal has up his sleeve with the FRN Caly 3.5! :D Success for that model might mean we may someday see a FRN Caly 3. There is zero chance you’d see a Calypso Jr. 2 with the updates you guys have mentioned in this thread, but I do think there’s a decent chance a FRN Caly 3 might come to fruition some day.

Hope you enjoy the pics! If someone can help me find a PE SS one, I can give you a full Calypso Jr. family shot (SS and Micarta ones included)! ;) :) Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Mine arrived today. Sigh... The Caly Jr. is my favorite Spydie and it is great to see another member added to the family (I have all the models except for the SE VG-10). Thanks for the pics, Radioactive!

For me, the Caly Jr. is the epitome of the whole "Calypso Family Tree". Lightweight, linerless, choil, no jimping, chamfered spine. Man, oh man - for a light weight daily user, it doesn't get much better than this - with maybe the exception of the DragonFly2...

TedP
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

I'm a bit jealous- awesome collection, radioactive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

phillipsted wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm
Mine arrived today. Sigh... The Caly Jr. is my favorite Spydie and it is great to see another member added to the family (I have all the models except for the SE VG-10). Thanks for the pics, Radioactive!

For me, the Caly Jr. is the epitome of the whole "Calypso Family Tree". Lightweight, linerless, choil, no jimping, chamfered spine. Man, oh man - for a light weight daily user, it doesn't get much better than this - with maybe the exception of the DragonFly2...

TedP
Good to see you are still around, Ted. I hadn't seen a post from you in a while (though, now that I'm looking at your post history, I must have missed your other posts this year).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

I pulled out another variant FRN Calypso Jr from my cache of Calys, which is often forgotten (or folks wrongly think they do not exist): one of the Hollow Ground versions. Well known as HG in SS and Black Micarta, not often seen in FRN. This one is from 1999 or 2000. I don't have the box anymore for this user (still do for some of the predecessor SS and Micarta Calypso Jrs.)

Kyle, you might want to update the Wiki to include this version?
(There are many Spyderco models with unacknowledged variants/transitions.)

Pleased to see this new one in SuperBlue--one of my favorite modest-sized Spydies.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:14 pm
I pulled out another variant FRN Calypso Jr from my cache of Calys, which is often forgotten (or folks wrongly think they do not exist): one of the Hollow Ground versions. Well known as HG in SS and Black Micarta, not often seen in FRN. This one is from 1999 or 2000. I don't have the box anymore for this user (still do for some of the predecessor SS and Micarta Calypso Jrs.)

Kyle, you might want to update the Wiki to include this version?
(There are many Spyderco models with unacknowledged variants/transitions.)

Pleased to see this new one in SuperBlue--one of my favorite modest-sized Spydies.

Unknown to me. And this makes me a little jealous considering I have every other variant. A great piece indeed.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Unknown to me. And this makes me a little jealous considering I have every other variant. A great piece indeed.
If it was unknown to you, that says a lot. (you are xtremely knowing of all things Spydie. xceptional, even. )

Well, I scruffled it up when I rummaged around the Caly cache when the SuperBlue was due.I had forgotten I had so many Calys and dupes (and SS and Micarta). I am an "Old" old-timer who had and has a few, "What''s this? Oh, yeah," moments in the knife stash.

Don't be jealous. I'm not attached to it. (In fact when a neighbor asked if they could borrow my vacuum cleaner I said, "Sure; I have no attachments..")
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Crazy! I’d be sure surprised if that guy had a distinct model number or it’s my guess that you got yourself a weird factory hybrid there. :) The date of ‘99 or so is surely correct as they were running the HG Micarta ones concurrently still. I’m thinking someone was goofing around in the Moki factory, swapping available parts together? I’d love to see the official box for it!

And yes, seeing that pic hurt my head too Landon! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
brj

Post by brj »

Just got mine, too bad I have disregarded the Calypso line until now cause this is nothing short of fantastic...

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:19 pm
My only quibble so far is that the rear end of the spine of the blade (behind the jimping) does not line up with the lockbar when it’s in the open position.
Like this?

Also, mine shows a huge (well, relatively :) ) gap between the lock and the scales

Don't think I'd be returning it though, as it's not bothering me in the least. Plus, I'd rather play with SuperBlue than with postal services ;)
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Just bought the serrated calypso Jr in Russia on ebay couldn't help myself, starting to feel like I May have missed out on this drop and will have to chase one on the exchange which can be a problem convincing people to send knives outside of the states (I'm in Australia)
shaztecs_knives on instagram
SG89

Post by SG89 »

brj wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:53 am
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:19 pm
My only quibble so far is that the rear end of the spine of the blade (behind the jimping) does not line up with the lockbar when it’s in the open position.
Like this?

Mine is like that too. Lockup has no play
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb