Spyderco Calypso Jr. Sprint Run Knife Gray (Aogami Super Blue)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SF Native

Re: Spyderco Calypso Jr. Sprint Run Knife Gray (Aogami Super Blue)

Post by SF Native »

on_the_edge wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:55 pm
rgrad80 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:43 pm
Maybe they had them “0 in stock” because they had not received their shipment yet, and when the shipment hits, the people who bought will get their orders filled? That’s my wishful thinking for the -28 people who paid for it.
Or maybe they'll string folks along..."Hey, man, we're getting a bunch in and I'm pretty sure you'll get one. Well, unless you want your money back right away. If so, then you are off our list and someone else will get your knife. It won't be much longer though. I would just leave my money here and see how things pan out. But if you want your money back, it's going to take 10-14 business days before you'll actually see it. Oh, and thanks for being a customer!" FAIL!!!!
I’m in line and doubt that they are charging until they are ready to ship. They will probably get more soon, just don’t know when. It’s a slow roll out. Few of us have them so far. Can’t imagine these are all sold out.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:11 pm
on_the_edge wrote:
rgrad80 wrote:
Maybe they had them “0 in stock” because they had not received their shipment yet, and when the shipment hits, the people who bought will get their orders filled? That’s my wishful thinking for the -28 people who paid for it.
Or maybe they'll string folks along..."Hey, man, we're getting a bunch in and I'm pretty sure you'll get one. Well, unless you want your money back right away. If so, then you are off our list and someone else will get your knife. It won't be much longer though. I would just leave my money here and see how things pan out. But if you want your money back, it's going to take 10-14 business days before you'll actually see it. Oh, and thanks for being a customer!" FAIL!!!!
I’m in line and doubt that they are charging until they are ready to ship. They will probably get more soon, just don’t know when. It’s a slow roll out. Few of us have them so far. Can’t imagine these are all sold out.
OK, I am going to clear the air here.

I called them and they said they DO charge you as soon as you place the order. That goes for payments by CC or PP--you are charged immediately even if something is not in stock. The reason is because the owner does not want cc info sitting around on their computers while they wait for a product to come in. Also, Verisoft requires that once used, CC info is then encrypted and deleted. So, if you are "in line" for one, you have paid for one.

They did have 10 in stock. Those sold quickly and they are anticipating on getting more in stock.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

on_the_edge wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:44 pm
SF Native wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:11 pm
on_the_edge wrote:
rgrad80 wrote:
OK, I am going to clear the air here.

I called them and they said they DO charge you as soon as you place the order. That goes for payments by CC or PP--you are charged immediately even if something is not in stock. The reason is because the owner does not want cc info sitting around on their computers while they wait for a product to come in. Also, Verisoft requires that once used, CC info is then encrypted and deleted. So, if you are "in line" for one, you have paid for one.

They did have 10 in stock. Those sold quickly and they are anticipating on getting more in stock.
My mistake. Thanks for setting the record straight. Not all dealers work this way.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Yes, there are some who do not. The girl said that it's a security issue having that stuff laying around on their computers, and she is right in that regard. However, it's not stated that this is their policy and it may matter to some.

I have bought from them before and I think they do a great job. And it's not a money thing for me, especially at @ $80, but I generally won't pay for a backordered item up front. Just my personal preference. YMMV.

However folks come by these, hopefully they will be able to get one as they become available.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This is my first calypso jr lw and I must say for me it is a Delica killer. Totally impressed. Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:37 pm
This is my first calypso jr lw and I must say for me it is a Delica killer. Totally impressed.
Nice comparison pic.

What do you like about it over the Delica?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:47 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
This is my first calypso jr lw and I must say for me it is a Delica killer. Totally impressed.
Nice comparison pic.

Lighter than the Delica(the caly jr lw is linerless) plus I really like the fish scale frn texture, finger choil, and swedge :)
Spydergirl88
fixall

Post by fixall »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:53 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Nice comparison pic.

Lighter than the Delica(the caly jr lw is linerless) plus I really like the fish scale frn texture, finger choil, and swedge :)
Agreed... It's like they took some of the best aspects of the Chaparral and the Dragonfly and combined them to make this. Except this was out YEARS before either. It's really a shame it was discontinued. I think if Spyderco were to add a Torx construction, tip up option, and maybe a deep carry wire clip and jimping and I think this would sell well in the regular lineup.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

fixall wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Nice comparison pic.

Agreed... It's like they took some of the best aspects of the Chaparral and the Dragonfly and combined them to make this. Except this was out YEARS before either. It's really a shame it was discontinued. I think if Spyderco were to add a Torx construction, tip up option, and maybe a deep carry wire clip and jimping and I think this would sell well in the regular lineup.
Those improvements would be perfect!
Spydergirl88
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I like the look of that choil as well. I've never owned a Delica (handled a Salt 2 briefly) but I have found that I really like the sort of unobtrusive choil found on say, the Military. This Calypso design looks good.

I also like that stonewashed clip.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

fixall wrote:
This would be the biggest improvement in my opinion. It may be just me, but having the option of disassembly for cleaning helps me to not be afraid to use it. Especially with a rust- prone steel like SB.

Then again, I just remind myself that's how all our grandfather's 1095 steel pocket knives were constructed and it didn't make them any less useable. :)
- Connor

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:33 pm
fixall wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Nice comparison pic.

Those improvements would be perfect!

agreed! yes to tip up, yes to wire clip, yes to jimping, yes to torx! would make for a really good production knife. especially if the maker is more apt to use solid blades rather than the clad ones you see from the seki models. would love these updates plus solid hap40.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Those are some cool looking scales. I really like the pattern.

Looking away now. Too. Many. Knifes!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

one on the bay now for $166.95...hurry! :rolleyes:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:17 am
one on the bay now for $166.95...hurry! :rolleyes:
Let me get my credit card!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I ordered a deep carry titanium clip for a Worker for this calypso jr lw... Hoping the hole pattern is the same, if not I will put it on my Worker 🤔
Spydergirl88
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

This is a cool model. If it were tip up I'd be very interested.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am
This is a cool model. If it were tip up I'd be very interested.
I'm not real thrilled about the clip orientation either but only because I don't really care how it would likely feel when actually using the knife. I'll try it with the clip on. If I don't like how it feels, I plan to try without the clip at all.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm thinking clipless as well.
foofie

Post by foofie »

In stock at knifejoy. Have one incoming.
There is a $3 shipping charge as an fyi.