Spyderco Calypso Jr. Sprint Run Knife Gray (Aogami Super Blue)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Spyderco Calypso Jr. Sprint Run Knife Gray (Aogami Super Blue)

Post by Sharp Guy »

Strider wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:27 pm
I think it simply comes down to being unlaminated super blue for 77.
I think you're right. I don't have any Super Blue yet but I'm also looking forward to trying a classic model that's been discontinued for awhile.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:38 pm
Strider wrote:
I think you're right. I don't have any Super Blue yet but I'm also looking forward to trying a classic model that's been discontinued for awhile.

Yep, what a great value. Im so excited that they did it in solid and not laminated. I would love to see them piggyback off the hype of this one and role out Caly Jrs in 2019 with solid Hap40 and solid V-TOKU in the FRN colors from.their respective Endura family sprint runs. Then move on to solid SRS-15, YSS Hap 5R, H1 Salts, etc. Keep the Caly Jrs coming! Long live Caly Jr!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
fixall

Post by fixall »

At this point with how fast they're selling out, I just hope none of the sites have been overselling. My BladeHQ transaction is still processing a few hours later... The last two knives I've purchased from them (HAP40 Wharncliffe and M4 Para 3) finished processing within an hour and I had a tracking number moments later.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

fixall wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:47 pm
At this point with how fast they're selling out, I just hope none of the sites have been overselling. My BladeHQ transaction is still processing a few hours later... The last two knives I've purchased from them (HAP40 Wharncliffe and M4 Para 3) finished processing within an hour and I had a tracking number moments later.
Same here... I called up BladeHQ right after my order went through and spoke with a rep who stated that once the order is accepted then the inventory is reserved for you, and even looked up my order and gave same reassurance again. I'll uncross my fingers once I get a shipping notice...
~andrew
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

BHQ emailed me like a day later that they couldn’t fulfill my REX45 order. Kinda irritated me.
Strider

Post by Strider »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:44 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Strider wrote:
I would love to see them piggyback off the hype of this one and role out Caly Jrs in 2019 with solid Hap40 and solid V-TOKU in the FRN colors from.their respective Endura family sprint runs. Then move on to solid SRS-15, YSS Hap 5R, H1 Salts, etc. Keep the Caly Jrs coming! Long live Caly Jr!
I don't think there are any plans for vtoku other than what's ready been announced. I remember Sal something something along the lines of Spyderco was helping out a smaller maker by going in on some vtoku with them.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

<r><QUOTE author="steelcity16"><s>
steelcity16 wrote:</s>
<QUOTE author="Sharp Guy" post_id="1262607" time="1536363490" user_id="26711"><s>
Sharp Guy wrote:
</s>
<QUOTE author="Strider" post_id="1262604" time="1536362853" user_id="31178"><s>
Strider wrote:
</s>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<br/>
Yep, what a great value. Im so excited that they did it in solid and not laminated. I would love to see them piggyback off the hype of this one and role out Caly Jrs in 2019 with solid Hap40 and solid V-TOKU in the FRN colors from.their respective Endura family sprint runs. Then move on to solid SRS-15, YSS Hap 5R, H1 Salts, etc. Keep the Caly Jrs coming! Long live Caly Jr!
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

I'm not crazy about the idea with a highly reactive steel, especially in this case as the knife has pinned construction. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can drop the blade out if it ever gets wet. Laminate arguably adds toughness too. Still, I definitely want one. Keep it lubed my friends
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m going to have to wait until Monday the 17th to get mine :(. We are leaving to the beach tomorrow morning for 9 days for vacation finally. I’m going to have my sister in law come by and grab it when it gets delivered. Can’t wait to get this guy, I’ve wanted one so bad after I sold my burgundy one!!!
Josh
Strider

Post by Strider »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:57 pm
<r><QUOTE author="steelcity16"><s>
steelcity16 wrote:</s>
<QUOTE author="Sharp Guy" post_id="1262607" time="1536363490" user_id="26711"><s>
Sharp Guy wrote:
</s>
<QUOTE author="Strider" post_id="1262604" time="1536362853" user_id="31178"><s>
Strider wrote:
</s>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<br/>

I'm not crazy about the idea with a highly reactive steel, especially in this case as the knife has pinned construction. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can drop the blade out if it ever gets wet. Laminate arguably adds toughness too. Still, I definitely want one. Keep it lubed my friends
Just don't use it is the kitchen and you'll be fine.
fixall

Post by fixall »

WireEdge Roger wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:54 pm
BHQ emailed me like a day later that they couldn’t fulfill my REX45 order. Kinda irritated me.
Lol, not at all what I was hoping to hear. Sorry you missed out on the Rex45 though. :( I would have liked one myself.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Strider wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:10 pm
Just don't use it is the kitchen and you'll be fine.
Unfortunately, that's not true. Regardless of how it's used, there are a number of reasons this knife might get corrosion in spots you don't want it. The best course of action would be to keep the knife well maintained and cleaned after use.

I setup a monitor on a handful of knife sites that will let me know when the web page changes. So when stock is added and the page is updated from "out of stock", I get a notification! :cool:
Really hoping this works and I can snag one while they're in stock somewhere!
-Nick :bug-red
biZ

Post by biZ »

Strider wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:21 pm
biZ wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:17 pm
In-stock at DLT with some other goodies.
Thanks!
You're welcome!

Best of luck to those still trying to get one. It looks like GP Knives and a few other places are still hopeful.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can drop the blade out if it ever gets wet.
I'm honestly not sure if you can or not. I know that with the Caly 3 & 3.5 you can remove and reinstall the blade fairly easily. If the Calypso Jr doesn't use washers I would think you could remove the blade and reinstall the same way.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:07 pm
BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can drop the blade out if it ever gets wet.
I'm honestly not sure if you can or not. I know that with the Caly 3 & 3.5 you can remove and reinstall the blade fairly easily. If the Calypso Jr doesn't use washers I would think you could remove the blade and reinstall the same way.
Based on the pictures it appears like a pinned pivot
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

There’s a video at GPK. It does indeed appear pinned. It’s fine by me, I never had an issue with my VG-10 or ZDP versions years ago.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

fixall wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Take a look at the Paramilitary 2 exclusive coming out from DLT Trading here soon. 20CV steel with a nice tan (or maybe grey, I'm red-green deficient) G10 handle. Should be easier to get a hold of.

Where can I find out more about this? Thx
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:13 pm
Based on the pictures it appears like a pinned pivot
It does indeed! Well there goes that plan! :)

Personally, I'm not going to worry about it too much. I don't seem to have Vivi grade acid sweat. I'll squirt a little oil in there once in awhile and be use it like all the others.
fixall

Post by fixall »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:44 pm
fixall wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Take a look at the Paramilitary 2 exclusive coming out from DLT Trading here soon. 20CV steel with a nice tan (or maybe grey, I'm red-green deficient) G10 handle. Should be easier to get a hold of.

Where can I find out more about this? Thx
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81074
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Geez it gets frustrating when these sprints sell out in a couple of minutes...
shaztecs_knives on instagram
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

...months of anticipation and if you have a shower at the wrong time instead of constantly refreshing a web page you miss out
shaztecs_knives on instagram