Spydiechef + RGT Clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Spydiechef + RGT Clip?

Post by ugaarguy »

Has anyone tried the RGT milled Ti replacement for the wire clip on their Spydiechef? Thought? Anyone have pics of this combo? Thanks.
DerrickT

Re: Spydiechef + RGT Clip?

Post by DerrickT »

Just ordered one for mine. Hope it doesn’t ride too high or funny in the pocket.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi there, I have RGT clips on my Spydiechef, Techno and PITS, and they all fit very well. I think the clip styling matches the knives very well in finish and character. That said, these clips are bordering on ridiculously expensive! Two of the three here were offered as “blems” at about half the normal price. They’re the only game in town for these though so all the demand for an aftermarket wire clip is all for their taking! ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I really like the recessed screw. I wish more knives had clips like this.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:20 am
Hi there, I have RGT clips on my Spydiechef, Techno and PITS, and they all fit very well. I think the clip styling matches the knives very well in finish and character. That said, these clips are bordering on ridiculously expensive! Two of the three here were offered as “blems” at about half the normal price. They’re the only game in town for these though so all the demand for an aftermarket wire clip is all for their taking! ;)

Do you prefer this over the stock SpydieChef clip only for the appearance, or is there some functional benefit as well? I really like the stock clip but never saw a SpydieChef with an aftermarket clip before.
Jim
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I love the RGT clip on the Caly as well. It is sturdy and just as sleek as the wire clip. It lacks a bit of the "mouth" that the factory wire clips have, but I have not had many difficulties getting it from the pocket with fat seams.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:20 am
Thanks for the great pics!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I was totally unaware of RGT until this thread.

Do they only sell on their own web site? Or are they available elsewhere?

There's a lot of "out of stock" stuff I see there that I'd be really interested in finding.
BadComrade

Post by BadComrade »

Nice! I'm happy I found this thread.

I just received a Spydiechef this week and its actually my first spyderco knife as well. I LOVE IT. Very good construction and I see why people say the Taichung factory has great F+F on knives.

My only complaint is the Wire Clip... Its not terrible... but its just not as sturdy as a normal clip. Non necessarily the tension, but I hate how its moves from side to side against the knife's scale and leaves ugly scrape marks.

These RGT clips seem like an excellent solution...... but for $65 bucks? daaaaamn. Thats a lot of bones for a clip.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:26 am

There's a lot of "out of stock" stuff I see there that I'd be really interested in finding.
I've seen them on the exchange occasionally, I actually have one somewhere in my parts drawer. I can't remember which knife I tried it on but didn't care for it for some reason, heck I can't even remember why now.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

farnorthdan wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:48 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:26 am

I've seen them on the exchange occasionally, I actually have one somewhere in my parts drawer. I can't remember which knife I tried it on but didn't care for it for some reason, heck I can't even remember why now.
If you can't remember Dan I will find it a new home for you.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Radioactive and/or xceptnl (or anyone else who has them,) can you give an update as to how these clips have worked out for you since this thread? They look great but have they held up to you expectations? Its spendy for a clip at just over twice the price of MXG. Fom the photos in this thread and exploring RGTs site though they appear to be twice the quality.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have one on my M390 PM2. I've been very happy with it. Durable, stylish, easy to slide in and out of the pocket.

I wish it was low riding, but that's pretty much my only complaint.
RadioactiveSpyder

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:49 pm
Radioactive and/or xceptnl (or anyone else who has them,) can you give an update as to how these clips have worked out for you since this thread? They look great but have they held up to you expectations? Its spendy for a clip at just over twice the price of MXG. Fom the photos in this thread and exploring RGTs site though they appear to be twice the quality.
They’ve held up remarkably well and I definitely recommend them. Since those few above, I’ve added RGT clips onto my Slysz Bowie, Techno 2, Caly 3.5 SB, HH red UKPK, orange UKPK and my Mantra 2 (and possibly one or two I’ve missed) with some of his plain Ti ones, anodized ones, and regular and black Timascus ones (again taking full advantage of those “blems” he offers from time to time, they’re always pretty much perfect). Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:41 pm
I have one on my M390 PM2. I've been very happy with it. Durable, stylish, easy to slide in and out of the pocket.

Oops!
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:41 pm

I should have added a do have a couple of his PM2 ones and they’re super good too! :D
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

The pocket clip is the first thing to get blemished if you actually use the knife anyways (aside from the blade maybe), so if you can save money by getting a blem that’s ideal!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.

Post by 013 »

Any of you Spyderfolk that have the RGT wire clip replacement:
Is the hole in the underside on the end of the clip intended to be able to install a ball bearing like some other clips have?
That's what it looked like the first time I saw one of these clips. It doesn't mention it on the website & there is no way to contact to ask.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

013 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:11 pm
Any of you Spyderfolk that have the RGT wire clip replacement:
Is the hole in the underside on the end of the clip intended to be able to install a ball bearing like some other clips have?
That's what it looked like the first time I saw one of these clips. It doesn't mention it on the website & there is no way to contact to ask.
You can reach him on Instagram. He’s pretty good with replying...