Native 5, Maxamet, and other thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Native 5, Maxamet, and other thoughts

Post by Tucson Tom »

I just called up and cancelled an order I placed over 6 months ago for a PM2 in Maxamet. That may never happen and maybe that is a good thing. I have been getting weekly emails letting me know my order is still in progress, but things happen and my thoughts have changed in the passing of time.

For one thing, I now have a couple of PM2 that I really like. One in 52100 and another in M4, both of which I like very much in their own way. So having yet another PM2 in Maxamet gets me a lot less excited than it once did.

The other is that I picked up a native 5 in S90V some time ago (with green G10 and no liners, you know the one). I have grown to like this little knife a lot, have warmed up to backlock knives and faced the choice of whether to get the Native 5 or a Manix in a lightweight with Maxamet. I have "too many" Manix as it is so my decision went to the Native 5. But I am also thinking that I won't ever buy another CBBL Manix, but will keep my eyes on backlock offerings. This could start a whole 'nuther topic -- actually it is started already, a backlock Manix in K390.

So I have the order in for the Native 5 lightweight in Maxamet. It will be my first FRN knife and I like to think that a small light knife with Maxamet might be just the thing. I used to think that FRN (or FRCP) was crap and avoided it like the plague, but I am rethinking that -- and rethinking it enough to give it a try. In fact I was doing some searches and reading that quite a number of people actually prefer FRN to G10, which knocked me off my feet.

And to make this long ramble longer. The day before yesterday I was out and about with that Native 5 G10 with S90V just mentioned. I was actually checking out a new rope and rappelling at a practice area above town here. The knife came unclipped (yes, yes, I am a dummy) and fell about 30 feet onto a rock bench, bounced and came to rest. The final verdict is the knife is just fine. Works like it always did. A few substantial gouges in the G10, but the blade is perfect, the knife never opened up. A battle scar or two is OK by me.
illacky

Re: Native 5, Maxamet, and other thoughts

Post by illacky »

I think you will learn to love the FRN/FRCP models. Some argue, from a pure utilitarian sense, that for using a knife to cut, G10, Steel liners, Titanium, etc is unnecessary. Of course, FRN doesn't look as nice. It all depends what your priorities are. I've found my FRCP Manix has been able to do everything my G10, super duper carbon fiber and titanium handled knives can do.
-Ivan
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It is interesting how scale material preference changes over time in one's own mind... I am currently preferring black g10 but before that I was all about FRN. We are fortunate that the Native has been produced in so many different scale materials and steel options
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I don't care for the FRN/FRCP, but I am being forced to get the Native 5 Salt... I can't not get an lc200n Native.

I still hold out hope that they will make me a full lined G10 Salt version.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I think the native has become my favorite "little knife". Like a miniature Manix. The BHQ m4 version with jade G10 looks interesting if it becomes a "real thing" and I manage to snag one. And lc200n is an interesting steel as well -- but you can't buy every interesting knife.
Oogie

Post by Oogie »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 pm
-- but you can't buy every interesting knife.
Ummm, say what now? That’s not what I’ve been led to believe. :)
mayong

Post by mayong »

Oogie wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:52 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
-- but you can't buy every interesting knife.
Ummm, say what now? That’s not what I’ve been led to believe. :)

+1
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

My first native was the hunter green forum knife. It has been awesome I wouldnt hesitate to get another in almost any configuration. If BHQ will offer their native with the DLC coating it would definitely get my attention.
OLd_gUY

Post by OLd_gUY »

I've grown to really like FRN. With gloves on or cold wet hands ->sweaty, it always seems give me confidence when it comes to controlling the "sharp part".
Loudenboomer

Post by Loudenboomer »

I just can't warm up to FRN. Got a G10 Maxamet PM3 as soon as I was able. I think a standard G10 Maxamet manix 2 would be fantastic. I also gave up on the Maxamet PM2.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Nothing wrong with FRN to me, from a practical standpoint. But G10 sure does feel better.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

My first lw Manix 2 was a maxamet one. I really didn't love the FRCP at first but now I carry the knife all the time. I like not having to worry about getting it dirty at work as much as G10. I got really lucky and have the PM2 but I'm too scared to use it since it's some kind of collectors item now ha
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tucson Tom wrote:
I think the native has become my favorite "little knife". Like a miniature Manix.
Check out the UKPK. My "trifecta" is the Manix, Native and UKPK. The ergonomics are very similar, and they are great for increasingly restrictive jurisdictions (or social situations).
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

I find almost any handle to be beautiful, I worry about all handles becoming scratched in the pocket or by accident while using, but for some unknowable reason I don't worry about scratching a FRN handle, they are so light in the pocket, they are quite forgiving in so many ways, they will always be what I carry.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

OK, here is a question, given that my Maxamet Native 5 showed up today -- is this handle FRN or FRCP ?
The description at Knifecenter calls it FRN, as does the write-up at Blade HQ.
So does the Spyderco Catalog, which should settle the question, but I could
swear I was reading someplace that the Native 5 was FRCP (such as a few posts above this one).

I am going to trust the catalog. It does clearly label the Manix LW as FRCP.
I think some of the internet info is just WRONG! Imagine that.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Sal said FRN was kind of flexible so if it is liner-less I would guess FRCP
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:45 pm
Don't get me wrong, I'm not slinging any mud at you. I am certainly inclined to believe the catalog. And looking at photos of the Manix LW, which it does label as FRCP, they definitely have a more clear/translucent look -- but I don't know if that is definitive and/or diagnostic.

This is my first LW knife, and I have to say the "scale pattern" they use to texture the handle is quite clever and well done. The in hand feel is great.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:53 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:45 pm
Don't get me wrong, I'm not slinging any mud at you. I am certainly inclined to believe the catalog. And looking at photos of the Manix LW, which it does label as FRCP, they definitely have a more clear/translucent look -- but I don't know if that is definitive and/or diagnostic.

This is my first LW knife, and I have to say the "scale pattern" they use to texture the handle is quite clever and well done. The in hand feel is great.
Nylon is a copolymer so call it frn or frcp lol