One-Eyed Jack plus two

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

One-Eyed Jack plus two

Post by MichaelScott »

I have been working toward getting my Spyderco “collection" to three folders and one fixed blade. I was looking for the ones that make sense for me, given my requirements, stage of life and where I am now, and will soon be living. Larger knives, basically greater than 3” blades, are no longer useful for me. After a great deal of reading, thinking, buying and selling I believe I have now decided.

Roadie. A go everywhere pocket knife that works incredibly well and is a most unique design. Given to me by my kids, so it has that going for it too.

Delica 4. Not much to say here. It’s a Delica and what won’t it do and keep on doing?

One-Eyed Jack. A surprise to me. This is as close to a custom knife as I am likely to get. It is a Spyderco and I find it downright beautiful. It will fit my hand, has S30V (a fine steel in my book), and will be equally fine to use and to just admire. Makes me smile, and given some history, I’m ready for a lot of smiles. This may not appear to be a reason to buy and carry a knife, but when things get a bit dark, having it in hand will be a comfort.

As to my fixed blade, at this point I can’t see giving up my also beautiful Helle Eggen.

Life is good.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
holeshot

Re: One-Eyed Jack plus two

Post by holeshot »

You have chosen wisely. I'm still on the fence on the One Eyed Jack but probably not for long. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:27 pm
Makes me smile, and given some history, I’m ready for a lot of smiles. This may not appear to be a reason to buy and carry a knife, but when things get a bit dark, having it in hand will be a comfort.
At least for me, it's absolutely a reason to buy and carry a knife. I got along fine for years without pocket knives. Not sure now why I stopped carrying one but I did. I buy and carry them now because they're useful and, more importantly, they make me happy.

Get that One-Eyed Jack and enjoy the heck out of it!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the looks of the OEJ but am concerned it will not fit my large hands (the ULW and CLW fit great). Can you take a picture of it in your hand and post it?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

I think all of your choices are great. I'd pick either a Native 5 LW or a Para 3 over the Delica, but all are great. Some might go with a Chapparal in that role. These 4 models are among the most practical choices.

I recently bought a Roadie and I like it. I usually carry either a SAK, an Ohta slipjoint, or a Lionsteel/CK slipjoint in that role.

The One Eyed Jack is a fantastic knife. Along with the original Rubicon, I think it is one of the nicest finished models available.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:
One-Eyed Jack. A surprise to me. This is as close to a custom knife as I am likely to get. It is a Spyderco and I find it downright beautiful. It will fit my hand, has S30V (a fine steel in my book), and will be equally fine to use and to just admire. Makes me smile, and given some history, I’m ready for a lot of smiles. This may not appear to be a reason to buy and carry a knife, but when things get a bit dark, having it in hand will be a comfort.
Different things make different people happy. :)

From one knife knut to another, I reckon your reasoning is sound and you'd be silly not to buy the little knife. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:13 pm
I love the looks of the OEJ but am concerned it will not fit my large hands (the ULW and CLW fit great). Can you take a picture of it in your hand and post it?
Will do. Ordered it from SFO tonight. Should have it in a few days since I’m also in Colorado. I wear a large size glove to give you some perspective.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:13 pm
Will do. Ordered it from SFO tonight. Should have it in a few days since I’m also in Colorado. I wear a large size glove to give you some perspective.
Nice! Let us know what you think of it! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Certainly will. I’m really looking forward to trying it.

Team Innovation
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I think you won’t be disappointed. If it appeals to you, it’s really nice. I have had mine for a while and I still think it’s one of the best ones. Mine came wicked sharp. And the fit and finish is excellent. Enjoy it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks!

I, too, do not need large knives and have started scaling down. I am going to keep my large knives, however. But the ones in my rotation are much smaller. There are times when I will stick a Manix in my pocket. However, I tend to carry the Urban LW, Chap LW, or Delica. Even the Delica is seeing less pocket time because the previous two do what I need so well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:55 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Makes me smile, and given some history, I’m ready for a lot of smiles. This may not appear to be a reason to buy and carry a knife, but when things get a bit dark, having it in hand will be a comfort.
At least for me, it's absolutely a reason to buy and carry a knife. I got along fine for years without pocket knives. Not sure now why I stopped carrying one but I did. I buy and carry them now because they're useful and, more importantly, they make me happy.

Get that One-Eyed Jack and enjoy the heck out of it!
I would agree as well! That sounds like the best reason to buy and enjoy a knife. Because you like it and it gives you a smile.

I haven't had the opportunity to hold a roadie, but being over here in Germany I tend to keep a slip joint handy when going out. So I may need to just bite the bullet, and I kinda like the grey one. It could be my travelling cheese knife (that's what I think of when I see it).
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek