Value Line RIL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Value Line RIL?

Post by ugaarguy »

It seems that several of Spyderco's competitors are having success selling lower cost frame locks. Has there ever been a value line or Byrd RIL that I'm not aware of? Has Spyderco ever thought of offering a lower cost RIL model?
MichaelScott

Re: Value Line RIL?

Post by MichaelScott »

If only I knew what RIL means.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SG89

Post by SG89 »

(Chris) Reeve Integral Lock
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks! It’s tough when acronyms aren’t first defined when used.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:05 pm
Thanks! It’s tough when acronyms aren’t first defined when used.
Spyderco use the R.I.L acronym in their paperwork
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 pm
It means frame lock. Frame lock is the more common term.

I don't get why anyone would want a steel frame lock. Unless it's a tiny knife it will be way too heavy. Sure, you can buy a 6 oz budget knife with a frame lock for pennies, but do you really want to carry it? The liner lock + G10 scales makes far more sense I think for identical ergonomics.

Personally, for a real value line entry I'm more concerned with cost than what lock it uses. I don't quite get why there aren't FRN handled value line models yet. There's probably a very good reason for it, it just isn't apparent to me.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:24 pm
It seems that several of Spyderco's competitors are having success selling lower cost frame locks. Has there ever been a value line or Byrd RIL that I'm not aware of? Has Spyderco ever thought of offering a lower cost RIL model?
I suppose they could do an economy RIL from stainless steel. Those tend to be either too heavy or too thin. Titanium makes it hard to still be “economy.”
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Did any of you guys pick up the CRKT Pilar?
From memory it’s like 2.5” of edge but weighs like 4oz, while that’s not heavy by any means it’s a trade off that dosnt need to happen.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:18 pm
From memory it’s like 2.5” of edge but weighs like 4oz, while that’s not heavy by any means it’s a trade off that dosnt need to happen.
Yes, I got the 4.2 oz original last year when it came out. It's what I keep on me when in the Chicago area because the blade is so short and the fairly blunt tipped sheep's foot shape makes it look friendlier. They're also under $30, so I'm not out a Dice or something else nice if it gets confiscated for some reason. About 15 hours ago the BHQ exclusives with G10 front scale went on sale. That single change got the weight down to a claimed 2.98 oz. For Perspective, the Spyderco Dice is a little bigger, has a titanium frame and G10 scale, and it weighs 3.6 oz. The Pilar is a knife that reminds of small Spydercos with the hole and finger choil, and Jesper Voxnaes' attention to ergos. I ordered a new Blue G10 Pilar today shortly after they went on sale. I wish Spyderco made something similar, or a value line RIL similar to the Dice. That's why I started this thread. I didn't go into specifics in the opening post in hopes of generating a more open discussion.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:07 am
Daveho wrote:
Yes, I got the 4.2 oz original last year when it came out. It's what I keep on me when in the Chicago area because the blade is so short and the fairly blunt tipped sheep's foot shape makes it look friendlier. They're also under $30, so I'm not out a Dice or something else nice if it gets confiscated for some reason. About 15 hours ago the BHQ exclusives with G10 front scale went on sale. That single change got the weight down to a claimed 2.98 oz. For Perspective, the Spyderco Dice is a little bigger, has a titanium frame and G10 scale, and it weighs 3.6 oz. The Pilar is a knife that reminds of small Spydercos with the hole and finger choil, and Jesper Voxnaes' attention to ergos. I ordered a new Blue G10 Pilar today shortly after they went on sale. I wish Spyderco made something similar, or a value line RIL similar to the Dice. That's why I started this thread. I didn't go into specifics in the opening post in hopes of generating a more open discussion.
I’m loving the Dice currently and was looking at the Pilar this morning lol, great minds.
I’ve often thought it would be great if spyderco revisited the Spyderco Lava with a frame lock but that’s just my taste
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Increase the blade width and add a hump for spyderhole on Sanrenmu 710. There you get it. ;)
Chris :spyder:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Yeah fake Chris Reeves are pretty sweet.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Daveho wrote: I’m loving the Dice currently and was looking at the Pilar this morning lol, great minds.
I’ve often thought it would be great if spyderco revisited the Spyderco Lava with a frame lock but that’s just my taste
I also ordered the oft overlooked Batum Compact along with the G10 Pilar. I'll post my thoughts on how they compare to the Dice once they arrive.
I'd forgotten about the Lava. I agree that it would make a very nice frame lock, so it's not just your taste.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:37 am
Daveho wrote: I’m loving the Dice currently and was looking at the Pilar this morning lol, great minds.
I also ordered the oft overlooked Batum Compact along with the G10 Pilar. I'll post my thoughts on how they compare to the Dice once they arrive.
I'd forgotten about the Lava. I agree that it would make a very nice frame lock, so it's not just your taste.
Nice!
I got to check out and shipping to Aus is more than the knife so I bailed :)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:58 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:37 am
Nice!
I got to check out and shipping to Aus is more than the knife so I bailed :)
Ouch. I sometimes forget how fortunate I am living here the US with access to low cost domestic shipping on so many knives. But you have Kangaroos and Koalas in the wild.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

True :) take the good with the bad.
TBH Kangaroos are very overrated, jumpy bastards!
Koalas and wombats are pretty good, very sleepy however.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:43 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 pm
It means frame lock. Frame lock is the more common term.

Except that "frame lock" is a more generic term. you could also call the compression lock on the titanium Salsa, and the original titanium and stainless ATR's frame locks. For that matter, you could call a Crawford lock a frame lock.

As for the OP's question, am sure they could make a stainless RIL version of any of the members of the Tenacious family if they felt it would sell.
Last edited by The Deacon on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:27 am
What I mean is they have the capacity to build a reasonably good value RIL knife, if Spyderco designs one.
Chris :spyder:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

anagarika wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:17 am
Daveho wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:27 am
What I mean is they have the capacity to build a reasonably good value RIL knife, if Spyderco designs one.
Very true, it bugs me to no end that these companies short change themselves so much by copying the designs of others, if they used some original designs they really would be a force to be reckoned with.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Daveho wrote:
From memory it’s like 2.5” of edge but weighs like 4oz, while that’s not heavy by any means it’s a trade off that doesn't need to happen.
Had an original for about an hour. Lock up was so weak I could break it by whacking the blade on my thigh. Heavy. So-so steel. Returned it same day. The new ones cost about as much as a Dragonfly or Ambitious. Why would I buy another?

Team Innovation