Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SCBaldr

Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Post by SCBaldr »

I love this knife when Its locked open and I'm using it. Tip-down right hand only carry (my KW exclusive Military in CTS-204P is right hand only tip-down) is a huge problem though. It makes the knife difficult to reach past into a pocket if you have large hands. Tip-up carry puts the smooth back end of the scales against your hand when reaching into the pocket and is preferable for that reason. A deep carry tip-up ambidextrous setup is ideal. Also, the military cries out for a compression lock. See my first impressions on Imgur. https://imgur.com/gallery/b8Ivchh
Bdubs808

Re: Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Post by Bdubs808 »

There seems to be a lot of people interested in a Military 2, with the changes focusing on 4 way clip options and a different lock configuration (namely the Compression Lock or the Stop Lock). I myself am highly interested in such an update to a company classic. On the other hand, just as many Military fans are stoutly against any major tampering of the design. For them it is already a perfect knife and needs no upgrades. That's cool and I appreciate their opinions, and I agree that in it's current form the Military is amazing.

But Compression Lock Military fidgety open and close action with that long blade, it would kick the PM2 out of my pocket forever... ah, and maybe that's why it hasn't happened yet. :p
FK

Post by FK »

My vote is to leave a great design as is,,, especially with the CQI recent improvements.
I prefer the tip down carry for the Military and would not like to see the G10 with additional screw holes.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

At this point I actually want a 4 way clip just so everyone stops talking about it lol. I don't think any topic has been beat to death harder than the clip hole debate. Give it a 4 way clip, extend the blade a little so it fills the handle space and give it a compression lock and I think most people would be happy. Well, all except everyone who loves the current version anyway lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I say leave it as it is the way it is now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:16 am
I say leave it as it is the way it is now.

I agree but someone said something that stuck with me, I already have enough of this version to last me the rest of my life so apart from any future steel variants I may want it really wouldn't matter to me if they changed it. I think it would be wise to keep both in production if possible, but I remember reading that that was the goal with the original Paramilitary when the Para 2 came out and it eventually got discontinued. If the Military 2 comes and it hurts sales of the Military 1 then it'll get cut.
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Since the question is being asked. I want to be able to carry this knife tip up. I have only one military -- because it is such a classic and a person has to have one, but the tip down only thing makes me avoid having more than one. I suppose you could view this as a good thing.

Of course that is just me, and maybe the "leave it alone" thing is the best choice given this knife has such a passionate following in its current form. And that will save me money. As much as I like having the choice to carry as I like, extra holes aren't pretty.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Why change a successful design like the Military? Some quality tweaks, sure. If a LW version is introduced would that ultimately result in the Military 2 to the detriment of the standard Military?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
blockade

Post by blockade »

Keep the old; add a new variant with compression lock.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Got my first Millie, KW's 204P, just a few months back. Now I understand the loyalty this design commands. Though I prefer tip-up, I wouldn't change a thing.

I am curious, however, to see what bubbles up through CQI. At the very least, I'd like to see Sal's maker's mark.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Well fellas, I totally understand the “keep it the way it is” point of view. If someone was asking for a change to my beloved PM2 or UKPK I’d be weary as well.

All I can offer is my 2 cents as a Spyderco fan that has tried and failed to love the military over the years. Yes, tip down kills this knife for me. I agree when people say it’s faster deployment to have tip down on a large knife such as this but I don’t care. Every single knife I own is tip up. I have a system, I’m used to it and I like it. I don’t care if it would be a bit slower upon opening if it was switched to tip up. In its current clip configuration I won’t be buying any more military’s because they just don’t get carried. And that’s fine. I think the knife is doing well enough without me and others like me. But if Spyderco wants to put more Military’s into peoples pockets this is a change they’ll need to make because the majority of the knife world (according to multiple polls I’ve seen) prefer tip up.

As far as the reason of its design goes, I think it’s great. Would I prefer a compression lock? Absolutely. I can live with the liner lock though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:12 am
Got my first Millie, KW's 204P, just a few months back. Now I understand the loyalty this design commands. Though I prefer tip-up, I wouldn't change a thing.

I am curious, however, to see what bubbles up through CQI.

Tip down isn't my favorite but it does seem to make sense on a longer knife. I've been carrying this Autonomy for a few months now and I've noticed I do need to shimmy my hand up the handle a bit to reach the fire button. If it could be carried tip down I could probably deploy it much faster.
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

If they do anything to it, I hope they make a SE option.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Three months ago I would have been all over this topic. I REALLY wanted tip up carry. I always got annoyed when I put my hands in my pocket and rubbed up against the jimping on the blade. That's also the reason I went with the Spydiehole instead of other knives with the tab openers. But I digress.

Several months ago I decided to give the Military an honest try, due in part because of all of you in this forum and your love for this design. It has never been more than an arms length away ever since. And now I can honestly say I am not sure if I would change anything. I love this knife. Yes, scraping my hands into the jimping is still an issue, but one that I have learned to live with. I will watch this thread and am curious to see what other suggestions are made to improve this perfect design.

The only possible idea I have could be applied to any knife Spyderco manufactures. It involves personalization. Rick Hinderer has done a much better job at this than Spyderco. He sells many different types of scales and hardware allowing the customer to personalize their knife. This business model has also worked well for Harley Davidson. It practically saved the company in the 80's. With Spyderco's new MAP pricing and many models eclipsing the $200 mark, it might be easier to go after less $$ selling add-ons than trying to sell a new knife. This is kind of already being done with unique blade steels and sprint runs, but taking it one step further may be a viable option. Spyderco could start small and test the waters with a popular model like the PM2???
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hopweaver wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:10 pm
The only possible idea I have could be applied to any knife Spyderco manufactures. It involves personalization. Rick Hinderer has done a much better job at this than Spyderco. He sells many different types of scales and hardware allowing the customer to personalize their knife. This business model has also worked well for Harley Davidson. It practically saved the company in the 80's. With Spyderco's new MAP pricing and many models eclipsing the $200 mark, it might be easier to go after less $$ selling add-ons than trying to sell a new knife. This is kind of already being done with unique blade steels and sprint runs, but taking it one step further may be a viable option. Spyderco could start small and test the waters with a popular model like the PM2???

That opens the door for the "why should I spend more for clip mounting options" argument.
~David
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:29 am
Well fellas, I totally understand the “keep it the way it is” point of view. If someone was asking for a change to my beloved PM2 or UKPK I’d be weary as well.

All I can offer is my 2 cents as a Spyderco fan that has tried and failed to love the military over the years. Yes, tip down kills this knife for me. I agree when people say it’s faster deployment to have tip down on a large knife such as this but I don’t care. Every single knife I own is tip up. I have a system, I’m used to it and I like it. I don’t care if it would be a bit slower upon opening if it was switched to tip up. In its current clip configuration I won’t be buying any more military’s because they just don’t get carried. And that’s fine. I think the knife is doing well enough without me and others like me. But if Spyderco wants to put more Military’s into peoples pockets this is a change they’ll need to make because the majority of the knife world (according to multiple polls I’ve seen) prefer tip up.

As far as the reason of its design goes, I think it’s great. Would I prefer a compression lock? Absolutely. I can live with the liner lock though.
This^^^. I feel exactly the same way. I like the Mili, but 95 % of my other knives are tip up. Every time I carried it, it would mess me up and I would try to open my other knives as if they were tip down. I got irritated with the transition and carried it less and less. I eventually just sold it.

I can completely understand why people don’t want it to change though. I can understand why people would not want to go from liner lock to the compression lock, which I prefer.

I do think the lack of a four way adjustable clip is costing Spyderco sales though. I do believe CQI should implement that change even if they never roll to a “Military 2” with a compression lock. If they do, I see more sales in their future including me.

In the mean time I’m perfectly happy with my PM2s which I would still carry more anyways.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I've never owned a compression lock knife, but what's wrong with a linerlock?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

IMO, there is nothing wrong with a liner lock. I have a lot of them. The compression lock is my favorite though. I love that I can easily close it without my fingers in the blades path and I love the quickness and smoothness of the design.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

If they made a Military 2 with a compression lock, I would buy it yesterday! Until then my PM2 will do just fine.

But, if they put the compression lock on every model I'd go broke... it's a double edged sword.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:26 pm
But, if they put the compression lock on every model I'd go broke... it's a double edged sword.
Me too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb