Sharpest Factory Edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Sharpest Factory Edge?

Post by The Meat man »

Just out of curiosity, what was your sharpest-from-factory Spyderco?

Mine was my ZDP-189 Manbug. I was amazed how sharp that little knife was: I could whittle hair with it right out of the box.

All of my Spydercos came super sharp but that Manbug was the top.

How about you?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Forest Green

Re: Sharpest Factory Edge?

Post by Forest Green »

First received the Para 3 in Maxamed, being it's factory edge was the sharpest every received, thought I would give the Native 5 LW Maxamed a try, it also arrived with super sharp edge. I then ordered the Manix 2 LW Maxamed, and it was also super sharp, all three were noticeably sharper from the factory than anything ever experienced. With a bit of stropping on wood, their factory edge's became hair whittling sharp.
Last edited by Forest Green on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Manix cru wear carbon KC exclusive by far.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A toss up between my Maxamet Native, Yojimbo 2, and Hap 40 Dfly.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Probably my Bradley Air.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
PStone

Post by PStone »

My S90v ppt cut me the quickest. But my para3 maxamet was, and still is the sharpest.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

All my Spyder folders have come very sharp and possibly my ZPD-189 Stretch was the sharpest. :)

My Sprig and Southfork however didn't come too sharp and the Southfork in particular came with a burr on one side you could feel. :rolleyes:

Edit: I forgot ... my Dragonfly Salt HB SE came ridiculously sharp. I think I'll have to learn how to sharpen serrated edges. :o
Last edited by Bloke on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anycal

Post by anycal »

CRUWEAR Para 3.
Peter
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don’t buy many new knives. I was impressed with a ZDP-189 that I got used but unsharpened.

My most recent acquisitions — a LNIB Native 5 LW SE and a new Positron — were not especially sharp. The Positron surprisingly not very sharp at all actually. Not a big deal, anyone buying a $100+ knife probably has some sharpening ability.

My other recent, a used Stretch SE, is so sharp I need to email the seller for SE sharpening tips. Never seen SE this sharp before.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Every knife I’ve bought in ZDP. Wow, that stuff is stupid sharp!
Josh
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

murphjd25 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:02 pm
Isn't it though? The next knife I bought after the Manbug was a Native 5 Maxamet, and I was actually a little disappointed after that razor ZDP -189. :) Not that the Maxamet wasn't sharp, it just didn't quite have that hair whittling edge.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
npad69

Post by npad69 »

PM2 cruwear
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Caly 3.5 NIB; I've been bitten twice while closing it and didn't notice it until afterwards; 100 Pacer a very close runner up :spyder:
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:02 pm
Isn't it though? The next knife I bought after the Manbug was a Native 5 Maxamet, and I was actually a little disappointed after that razor ZDP -189. :) Not that the Maxamet wasn't sharp, it just didn't quite have that hair whittling edge.
It sure is. The only knives I’ve been bit by were actually the ZDP ones.
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

toxophilus wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:31 pm
Caly 3.5 NIB; I've been bitten twice while closing it and didn't notice it until afterwards
The Caly 3.5 ZDP that I bought new was pretty sharp out the box. The M390 Para 3 I have was too.

Now that I think about it, most of mine were pretty sharp when new. None would whittle hairs but all had a good working edge which is what Sal's said they strive for IIRC.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

as usual all my Spydies have come very sharp from factory

but my Lil'Matriarch came irresponsibly sharp...that coupled with the fact that I wasn't used to Reverse S blades earned me 3 cuts before the knife cut anything else other than me :o
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I've been thoroughly impressed by the edge on many of my Spydercos, but the one that really stands out is my Native 5 Maxamet.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ThePeacent wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:34 am
as usual all my Spydies have come very sharp from factory

but my Lil'Matriarch came irresponsibly sharp...that coupled with the fact that I wasn't used to Reverse S blades earned me 3 cuts before the knife cut anything else other than me :o

Ouch!!

So far I haven't been bit by any of my Spydies.
- Connor

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I actually can't remember lol. I know for sure I've had some very sharp ZDP edges, so it would seem that the folks in Japan really know what they're doing with ZDP, because I'd consider it significantly more tedious to sharpen than VG10 and I'm certain I've had sharper ZDP than VG10. I think the most recent I've been impressed with are all my current CQI Militaries, particularly the M4 and 52100 models, they both came hair whittling sharp.

On another note, this topic was much more relevant just a few years ago when these knives were sharpened by hand. Though I definitely appreciate the consistency of the robotic sharpening we have today, I was more impressed by it when I knew it was a skilled human putting that edge on my knife. Still, I'll take a perfectly symmetrical bevel and average sharpness over a wacky bevel any day. I don't mind touching up a new edge but it's irritating to have to reprofile a bevel right out of the box to fix a wavy bevel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:21 am
I actually can't remember lol. I know for sure I've had some very sharp ZDP edges, so it would seem that the folks in Japan really know what they're doing with ZDP, because I'd consider it significantly more tedious to sharpen than VG10 and I'm certain I've had sharper ZDP than VG10. I think the most recent I've been impressed with are all my current CQI Militaries, particularly the M4 and 52100 models, they both came hair whittling sharp.

On another note, this topic was much more relevant just a few years ago when these knives were sharpened by hand. Though I definitely appreciate the consistency of the robotic sharpening we have today, I was more impressed by it when I knew it was a skilled human putting that edge on my knife. Still, I'll take a perfectly symmetrical bevel and average sharpness over a wacky bevel any day. I don't mind touching up a new edge but it's irritating to have to reprofile a bevel right out of the box to fix a wavy bevel.

Same here. The Advocate I bought came very sharp, but the angle must have been more than 40° inclusive because I couldn't touch the edge with the Sharpmaker set at 40°.
I noticed too that it seemed worse closer to the handle. Still, one of my favorite knives though.
- Connor