Sharpest Factory Edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Sharpest Factory Edge?

Post by elena86 »

rybu0305 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:13 pm
Manix cru wear carbon KC exclusive by far.
^ That
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I thought my orange Pingo was pretty darn sharp. The tip sliced my finger open.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Spyderco
GB1 hands down sharpest by far.

Second would be the Pakkawood Delica.

Other brands
The Mnandi tops everything even a few customs I have purchased
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:04 pm
Just out of curiosity, what was your sharpest-from-factory Spyderco?

Mine was my ZDP-189 Manbug. I was amazed how sharp that little knife was: I could whittle hair with it right out of the box.

All of my Spydercos came super sharp but that Manbug was the top.

How about you?
I have the Endura ZDP from many years ago, the edge is very different now, it was my second knife purchased as an adult, it was very sharp, but I had no reference point back then. Because so many folks loved the factory ZDP, Iv'e ordered a new Lum Chinese Folder in ZDP. I was looking for an excuse to buy this, thanks for giving me one. I have the new BHQ sprint Lum Chinese Folder, aesthetically it is my favorite knife.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Forest Green wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:41 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Mine was my ZDP-189 Manbug. I was amazed how sharp that little knife was: I could whittle hair with it right out of the box.

How about you?
I have the Endura ZDP from many years ago, the edge is very different now, it was my second knife purchased as an adult, it was very sharp, but I had no reference point back then. Because so many folks loved the factory ZDP, Iv'e ordered a new Lum Chinese Folder in ZDP. I was looking for an excuse to buy this, thanks for giving me one. I have the new BHQ sprint Lum Chinese Folder, aesthetically it is my favorite knife.

Nice! Glad to be of service. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:06 pm
Forest Green wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:41 pm
The Meat man wrote:

How about you?

Nice! Glad to be of service. :D
Thought I would update, I just received a new Lum Chinese folder ZDP, it is indeed very sharp, sharper than the new Hap 40 sprint run, it is possible it is the sharpest factory edge I have seen, makes me have a new found appreciation for ZDP. The Para 3 in Maxamet is right there also.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Forest Green wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 pm
Thought I would update, I just received a new Lum Chinese folder ZDP, it is indeed very sharp, sharper than the new Hap 40 sprint run, it is possible it is the sharpest factory edge I have seen, makes me have a new found appreciation for ZDP. The Para 3 in Maxamet is right there also.

Nice knife you got there. That's interesting that the Seki city ZDP -189 seems to be so consistently razor sharp out of the box. Hats off to the Japanese sharpeners! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

For me, pretty much all of my Golden-made :spyder:'s have had the sharpest factory edges, especially the full grind PE blades of the Spyderco Military, Para Military, and Manix.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The Meat man wrote:

How about you?
Exact same knife. Gifted it away. Scary sharp though.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Off the top of my head I would say Militarys I've received, especially the 52100
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would have to say the K2 came very,very sharp from the mothership.
And, as Dan stated the Millies namely 52100 and 204p
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Strangely, my One-Eyed Jack came frighteningly sharp.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Another vote for CQI Militaries, specifically the BHQ M4. That thing cut me easy-peasy and I was bleeding good before I even felt it.
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Received a large Lum Chinese Folder today, VG10 steel, it is the sharpest factory edge I have seen. Previously I thought the Lum Chinese folder ZDP, or the Para 3 Maxamet were the sharpest, shocking!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Chaparral frn with xhp. Scary sharp right out of the box.
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

my Manix 2 S110V came very grabby sharp just begging to cut given any opportunity but my Manix 2 midback lock in S30V was honed a little bit sharper than the S110V and my Introvert in S30V almost as sharp as the midback lock. I would at a guess have to say though that I think that the S110V is a more capable steel so far as a ultimate sharp edge will go, it gets this sticky grabby feel it is really aggressive and ZDP-189 can be a little bit like that but not so grabby. I have other sharp edges but those edges are more prone to slide if you very lightly slip your finger along them where the S110V just wants to grab and cut with the same kind of pressure. Maybe it is just me but that is the sense I get.
Calgary on the Bow
basedlarrydavid

Post by basedlarrydavid »

My Cruwear Millie was unbelievably sharp.
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing