J D Smith Build

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dynaryder

J D Smith Build

Post by dynaryder »

Got a couple questions about the spines on my JD Smiths. My first was a ATS-34 PE. I noticed the spine(locking bar) stuck out from the back of the handles slightly when the blade was in the open position. Not bad,but I found it odd for a Spydie. Since I picked it up for my collection,I wasn't concerned cause the knife wouldn't see use. But I've since decided I really like it,so I bought a lightly used VG-10 SE off eBay to serve EDC. When I got that one,I noticed the very tip of the spine appeared to be chamfered down slightly where it meets the base of the blade. It seems as though this was done to keep the spine flush when the blade is open. I e-mailed the seller to see if he did it,and he said it was that way out of the box. What gives? I can't see all the early versions having the spines stick out,and I certainly can't see Spyderco addressing the issue by grinding the tips of the spines. Anyone?

I really wish I could get a decent pic to post,but I'm having trouble getting close in and keeping the detail. Maybe this weekend I'll play w/my camera some more so y'all can see what I'm talking about.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dynaryder. Interesting history to that model that few would know. The first design was created by JD Smith and made by a new maker for us. Capacities in Seki being small, we're always trying new makers. It takes many years to develop the skills these makers have. The maker went bankrupt due to the poor Japanese ecomomy at the time. At this time, one of our current makers was able to pick up the project, but there was a lot of political juggling involved so we retooled a second time for the model and JD made adjustments to his design during the change. The chamfer was his solution to the lockbar question. As I remember, the 2nd run was made with VG-10.

All in all, there were only about 2000 JD Smith pieces produced between the two runs/makers. It's a very nice design but did not attract enough attention for the numbers we need to keep production going.

Hope that helps.

sal
Rger No. 1

Post by Rger No. 1 »

Thanks for the explanation. I have a J. D. Smith and really like it. I carry it occasionally, having purchased it at the Knife Store in Freeport, ME while on vacation. Mine is the VG-10 model and appears fine. It is a slick opener.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." Albert Einstein
dynaryder

Post by dynaryder »

Sal-thanks for the info. As I said,I liked the first one enough to pick up a second for EDC. I really like the blade shape and overall slim design. It's too bad it didn't catch on.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Slim and tough, the J.D. Smith reminds me of my Calypso. I need to pick up a J.D. Smith.

Blades
toothed

Post by toothed »

The JD Smith was a long ago, favorite EDC for me. Although the misalignment between the blade and the locking bar was not typical of the usual Spyderco precision construction, it did not render the knife inoperable or unsafe. I still have my early numbered Smith (which probably came from that bankrupt Japanese company) but I have moved on to other folders with smoother opening and closing action for my EDC.

I really like the overall design of the knife and think that it should have been built with better quality materials (the VG-10 blade upgrade was good but the handle should also have been upgraded to dual ss liners with almite or ti scales). Imo, it's a good utility knife that can turn tactical instantaneously--I guess that's saying alot.

The history of the knife provided by Sal makes me value my JD Smith even more.

Edited by - toothed on 3/31/2003 6:30:25 PM