FRN Back Lock ONLY?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cricket Bite

FRN Back Lock ONLY?

Post by Cricket Bite »

I have noticed that Spyderco only has back locks on any product that is not a fixed blade or Slipit. I was just wondering why no other lock types on FRN models. I know the Manix has the CBB lock but that is FRCP (personally not a fan). I love FRN but would like some lock variety as well. So what gives. Thanks in advance for any insight.
SG89

Re: FRN Back Lock ONLY?

Post by SG89 »

There used to be a FRN liner lock Cricket and there is currently a FRN Squarehead liner lock
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:33 pm
There used to be a FRN liner lock Cricket and there is currently a FRN Squarehead liner lock
Thanks. The cricket was a ways back. I was unaware fo the squarehead in FRN. I would love to see more variety than this though. Nothing wrong with back locks just like me some variety and FRN.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Don't forget the "old" Centofante Vesuvius, IMHO it's worth to hunt it.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Cricket Bite wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:39 pm
I have noticed that Spyderco only has back locks on any product that is not a fixed blade or Slipit. I was just wondering why no other lock types on FRN models. I know the Manix has the CBB lock but that is FRCP (personally not a fan). I love FRN but would like some lock variety as well. So what gives. Thanks in advance for any insight.
In addition to the Cricket and Squarehead mentioned by Spydergirl88, previous FRN non-backlocks/ non-slipjoints have included:
(forgive my omissions due to CRS)

Vesuvius -- comp lock
MeerKat --Phantom lock
D'Allara --BB lock
Walker Lightweight--Liner lock

Edit 2 to add:
Q--- Spring lock
(I knew I'd forget one. At least.)

Non-locking models not necessarily SlipIts include
UKPK, DK
Urban
Pingo
Roadie
Squeak

Molds for FRN are very expensive, and generally require projected sales volume large enough to offset the initial cost. The highly popular Ladybugs-thru-Endura by the historical Japanese mainstay manufacturing has been the volume backbone for Spyderco for a looong time. Backlock is their forte. Sal and co have been willing to use frn with other locks, and hopefully we'll see more of them.

Edit: Peter slips in with the Vesuvius while I'm sloowly recalling and typing. I wholeheartedly concur with his recommendation.
Last edited by nicked.onaut on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Because back locks are the best. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:05 am
I like them too, however I wouldn’t say best, but they are solid, ambidextrous, and are biased toward the closed position which may be their strongest feature. Given their position on the handle spine and the ricasso or choil on the blade, I think they are as safe to close one handed as a compression or B.B. lock. All that said, the type of lock does not play a large role in my Spyderco buying decisions. I wish for a Lil' Lum which has a liner lock because it is a Lum and I would never subject a knife that small to extraordinary force. I also want a Lil' Native with a compression lock because I favor the wire clip on a small knife. I have a Delica on order.

In my opinion, when used as designed, all Spyderco locks are fine as-is.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:05 am
This. :D (especially backlocks on FRN ;) )
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Nevermind....Losing my mind and misremembering things...
Last edited by TomAiello on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems most FRN mods are also coming out of Japan, so it would seem that back locks are something they do very well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Wondering how different the actual components of FRN vs FRCP are or if they are just the same thing made in different countries? If they're the same would you count the Manix 2 LW? Nylon is a copolymer
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Imagine another big volume seller like the PM2 in a lightweight special? Like a partial liner frn version. I'd like one for sure!
/ David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:34 pm
Wondering how different the actual components of FRN vs FRCP are or if they are just the same thing made in different countries? If they're the same would you count the Manix 2 LW? Nylon is a copolymer

From what I've seen FRCP seems harder and more likely to chip if dropped, where as FRN almost has a rubber like quality (not to say it stretches or bends, it just seems more tough). That said, I have abused the crap out of FRCP and it never let me down, I don't trust it any less than FRN.
~David
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

removed
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sal

Post by sal »

We have a few non lock-back FRN models in-the-works. But please keep on mind that FRN is not a rigid and prone to twist, which can make locks that come in from the side more prone to accidental unlocking. So it depends on the model, the use of two liners, size, etc.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:22 pm
We have a few non lock-back FRN models in-the-works. But please keep on mind that FRN is not a rigid and prone to twist, which can make locks that come in from the side more prone to accidental unlocking. So it depends on the model, the use of two liners, size, etc.

sal

Man that is a really good point. Side flex on a Pacific Salt isn't a big deal, but side flex on a Military could be a disaster.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That's why Sal is the master. :cool: Image
- best wishes, Jazz.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:22 pm

sal
Thank you for the information. Any hints on what models may be coming out.... :D
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Cricket Bite wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:55 pm
Any hints on what models may be coming out.... :D
There's a thread here wishing for PM2 lightweight. Someone posted in that thread that there's already a PM3 or PM2 FRN prototype that's been making the show rounds but isn't allowed to be photographed yet.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

FRN backlocks are by far my favorite kind of folding knives. Had liner-locks, frame-locks, axis-lock etc, but once I landed on FRN back-locks I've never looked back.