K390 in Golden made spydies ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: K390 in Golden made spydies ?

Post by Tucson Tom »

I could see my way to a Native 5 in K390 nicely for that matter. All this talk about a K390 Manix with backlock is quite interesting. It isn't as though I don't have enough versions of the Manix already ....
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the Manix is made for K390.

(to be fair the PM2 is a fine knife and I like the design, but the handle is too cramped for my hand)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 am
I would also be happy to see 10V or A11 used in some Golden Spydies.
+1 you got my vote.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

After saying "mean things" about the Police, I took a second look at it today, and have warmed up to it some. But I would still rather see K390 in some Golden made knives for sure. Something I had never thought about before is that the Police offers tip up carry, whereas the Military doesn't. But I am eager to see K390 in the Manix Backlock -- or any number of other knives.
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

Edit: - sorry, wrong thread -
Donut

Post by Donut »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:49 am
Donut wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 pm
The thing that kind of kills me is that the knives that are produced in Taichung Taiwan, which would be perfect place for a sprint run in a special steel. All of the good users, like the Chaparral and the Sage, are all set in stone to be either XHP or S30V with almost no exceptions.
Hi Donut,

I'm planning on changing some of that with the FRN models.

sal
Sal, thank you.

I don't really mind those models being exclusively S30V and XHP. S30V and XHP are excellent steels. Having one more good all around user wouldn't be counter productive. It seems like introducing a separate model for that one purpose could be counter productive, but maybe it isn't.

Maybe it has to do with the production costs and the charities. I feel like a various steel model could sell very well. I think the Manix 2 sprints sold well and the Mules sell well. Maybe we do need a new model and a new charity like Wounded Warrior.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

This thread has reminded I need more K390, so much do I love it in my Police4.

Lo and behold, a K390 Urban turned up in my mailbox this morning (how did that happen?!) as I was packing the car for a trip into Canada. I mention Canada because I had decided to leave my Spydies home for fear of Customs Canada's overreach.

But the spring on this slippy is quite strong, indeed stronger than my UKPKs and my Squeek. I can't finger-flick it from fully-closed to fully-open, nor can I easily wrist-flick it from half-open to fully-open.

So, I decided to risk the border-crossing for the thrill of having a Customs officer demonstrate why the knife should not be imported under the new restrictions. The crossing was uneventful ("These aren't the drones you're looking for.").

As I overnight in Cornwall on my way to Toronto, I get to marvel at how smart and well-built the Urban is. It's what I thought the Squeek would be (but isn't, because too stubby). It sure fits my hand better than my DF2. And, it's K390. Perfect for a trip back to Italy (where it was made).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

golden made k390 spydies... the thought alone makes me drool!

i’d really like a manix sprint with the skeletonized liners in k390

but what i desire is a k390 military - don’t care about the handle color if it’s g10
i‘m in need of a tool steel military and k390 is an european - especially an austrian made steel used by my favorite knife company, this really would make me happy! :D :rolleyes:

i like the urban sprint, but it’s just a tad too small for my taste and i got it for my regular trips to germany. still like the steel but i have accompanied it with a pits in blue which fits my hand better, but is „just“ n690co which is not really a match for the boehler monstersteel

i also own the mt17 in k390 and really really love it!

i’ve no experience with similar steels like 10v or a11 yet but would be ok with one of them if they’re easier to obtain when they are similar in use
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

K390 FRN Caly 3.5!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:06 pm
Para2 in K390 = no brainer.

I'd also buy a Manix XL.

If a tip up CQI Military was ever sorted (or PM2 XL), that as well.

Para2 in K390:
This needs to happen, how soon is now?
C
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Like most people, while I would like to get a P4 - the cost vs need for the knife do not make sense. It is too large. k390 on some mid sized knives might do the trick and sell better.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:25 am
Like most people, while I would like to get a P4 - the cost vs need for the knife do not make sense. It is too large. k390 on some mid sized knives might do the trick and sell better.
I have a Police 4 and love it but totally agree it would be a lovely steel to have in a more typically carried edc size.
I think it would fit a Manix or PM2 nicely although the thick blade stock is really unnecessary for K390. Something thinner would take advantage of the steels attributes. Would suit the D'allara perfectly.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The FRN P4 in K390 should address some of the price concern.

I'd love to see K390 in something the size of a Manix or Native, but I'm not sure it makes sense to bring K390 to Golden. Are there any Maniago or Seki-City models that would do well in a K390 sprint? I love my K390 Urban. A K390 Dragonfly II would be an amazing little knife, too.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:34 am
The FRN P4 in K390 should address some of the price concern.

I'd love to see K390 in something the size of a Manix or Native, but I'm not sure it makes sense to bring K390 to Golden. Are there any Maniago or Seki-City models that would do well in a K390 sprint? I love my K390 Urban. A K390 Dragonfly II would be an amazing little knife, too.
Tom,

Do you find the Urban in K390 to be good for edc?
I have been using my mule, keep it oiled, but haven't used my urban yet. Was thinking of using this as not so often gentleman knife. I really am enjoying the mule though.
C
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The only drawback of k390 as an edc steel would be corrosion resistance and difficulty in sharpening imo. I have never found any steel (including s110v) to be difficult to sharpen though. I really want to try k390 one day. I guess if I wasn't into knives and didn't have any cbn or diamond based sharpening equipment my opinion might be different.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:56 am
The only drawback of k390 as an edc steel would be corrosion resistance and difficulty in sharpening imo. I have never found any steel (including s110v) to be difficult to sharpen though. I really want to try k390 one day. I guess if I wasn't into knives and didn't have any cbn or diamond based sharpening equipment my opinion might be different.
It's easier to sharpen than s110v. More like M4.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Calicoast wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:45 am
Tom,

Do you find the Urban in K390 to be good for edc?
Not just yes, but **** Yes.

I bought it as a travel knife (I spend about a month each year in Europe--mostly Italy--and needed a legal carry for the places I visit there). I found it good enough for EDC that it sometimes kicks my "at home" EDC knives (generally much larger--I'm carrying the Police 4 right now) out of my pocket.

It's so light you barely notice it, the ergonomics are fantastic, and the blade length is just fine for about 80% of my EDC tasks.

I lost my first Urban K390 to security at the Coliseum last summer, and I ordered a replacement from my phone before I had left the site.

I've honestly been surprised at how much I've enjoyed the Spyderco slippies for normal EDC even in places where I can carry larger, locking knives. The UKPK and Urban are just excellent knives in and of themselves. The Pingo and Roadie leave me feeling "under-knifed" a lot of the time, but the Urban and UKPK really don't. And, FWIW, I have a Pingo in K390 that is pretty much the best ever EDC for the super-restrictive jurisdictions (I carried it in Germany).
Last edited by TomAiello on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Pelagic wrote:
The only drawback of k390 as an edc steel would be corrosion resistance and difficulty in sharpening imo.
I don't find K390 hard to sharpen. Maxamet upgraded my sharpening skills, though, so I haven't had too much trouble with anything since I started carrying/sharpening Maxamet.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Thanks Tom!
Wife and I are heading to Bari, Italy later in the year.

I can hear my wife now..."You brought a knife with you"!?
Lol.
C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm
Pelagic wrote:
The only drawback of k390 as an edc steel would be corrosion resistance and difficulty in sharpening imo.
I don't find K390 hard to sharpen. Maxamet upgraded my sharpening skills, though, so I haven't had too much trouble with anything since I started carrying/sharpening Maxamet.

what is your process for maxamet sharpening?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red