Where's the Maxamet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
koenigsegg

Re: Where's the Maxamet?

Post by koenigsegg »

Would be awesome to see the G10 Native and Manix get released, maybe I'm crazy but I really wanna see them try a flipper tab! :)
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
SCBaldr

Post by SCBaldr »

I've got the Para3 and the Manix 2 LW in Maxament and love them both, practically never have to touch up the edges. Maxamet is incredibly tough stuff to heat treat properly. The process is time consuming and finniky to a great degree if you want hardnesses above 65 Rockwell C and not have it be brittle like crystalline glass. That said, I hope they take their time making the Maxamet units they plan to make. I don't want to know how many ceramic or carbide or diamond belts Maxamet blades go through just to be made. Imagine if the company were to rush getting these out and it turns out something is wrong with some of the finished units. Now they will have to go through even more time and more really expensive abrasive belts to fix it. It would be a grinder tech's worst nightmare.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

attila wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:59 pm
Zenith wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:22 am
I would like to see a Manix in K490. Not as wear resistant as K390 but the piece I have is running around 7dps with no chipping. That and its compred to M4 with regards to wear resistance has proven to be quite interesting.
I've been reading about K490 for about a week now. It's wear resistance is nearly that of CPM M4, but its toughness is touted to be more than double that of CPM M4. If I can find any, I'll be making blades for myself from K490.

I'd be really happy to try K490 Spydercos!!!
My experiemce has only been with a custom piece but at 63HRC, thin grind and low edge angles it has surprised me.