Spyderco Saw?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Germinalphrase

Spyderco Saw?

Post by Germinalphrase »

I've been thinking about a ideal version of the Clipitool for use in the Boundary Waters that would match a thin Sprig-like blade with a short saw (maybe adding a second more robust blade for wood work) and came to wonder if Spyderco had ever made a saw blade before? Obviously, the serrated edge blades are fairly handy in a pinch, but a true saw blade they are not. Anyone know?
SG89

Re: Spyderco Saw?

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Germinalphrase wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:18 pm
I've been thinking about a ideal version of the Clipitool for use in the Boundary Waters that would match a thin Sprig-like blade with a short saw (maybe adding a second more robust blade for wood work) and came to wonder if Spyderco had ever made a saw blade before? Obviously, the serrated edge blades are fairly handy in a pinch, but a true saw blade they are not. Anyone know?
It is pretty mediocre honestly. It's ok, but Silky's are imho better.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Honestly, I see a lot of people urging Spyderco to produce a lot of non-knife stuff--tactical pens, saws, axes, etc.

I like Spyderco knives. When Spyderco focuses on it's core competency, it's world-class. I'm a lot less enthusiastic about asking them to move away from that competency because I want them to do some other random thing.
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:55 pm
Honestly, I see a lot of people urging Spyderco to produce a lot of non-knife stuff--tactical pens, saws, axes, etc.

I like Spyderco knives. When Spyderco focuses on it's core competency, it's world-class. I'm a lot less enthusiastic about asking them to move away from that competency because I want them to do some other random thing.
Generally, I agree with keeping the focus tight on their core competencies. My interest is simply in a Clipitool featuring a saw. The tiny little saw on my SAK has come in mighty useful when my proper saw is unavailable. I'd be a happy camper to carry a Boundary Waters Clipitool featuring a sprig-like fish blade and saw.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

The MSR was $47.50 on the Spyder Saw...I think I bought mine at closeout for $29. When was the last time you remember a Spyderco sell new for that price? :)

It insn't very adequate for anything much thicker than your thumb. Soon after I got the Spyder Saw I bought a Bahco Laplander and never looked back.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I actually had one of those older/discontinued Spydersaws about 12 years ago and I found it to be a good tool. I ended up trading it when I got a complete set of FELCO garden tools ( Swiss made). But I do believe that Spyderco did a great job on that old Spydersaw. The only complaint I ever had with it was that it was next to impossible to sharpen it without some type of professional sharpening jig made especially for that saw.

I tend not to like tools that I can't maintain and service myself. I don't remember the Spydersaw being on the main line up very long either unfortunately>> obviously sales were not all that good for the Spydersaw. I haven't even seen one up for sale or auction for quite some time now.

One thing I would like to see Spyderco look into would be to make a pruning saw with a Hawkbill style blade. I do think that could be a great garden and landscaping tool. I've actually wondered why no garden tool company has never tried that before?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I remember having one of those Spydersaws years ago. You are right that the points were impulse hardened and not sharpenable - similar to most other Japanese saws today. Mine actually broke during some extended limb cutting during Scout camp. I replaced it with a couple of low-end Buck folding saws, followed by a couple of Silkys. The Silky saws can't be beat, IMHO.

TedP
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

I happened to have picked one up recently. I think it could cut something larger than a thumb but I haven't tried it yet.
Last edited by skybladefromthe on Thu May 03, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

How big is it compared with a Bahco Laplander?
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Here's a measurement.
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

Being able to sharpen with a sharpmaker stone would be a huge benefit - if it were possible.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:14 am
One thing I would like to see Spyderco look into would be to make a pruning saw with a Hawkbill style blade. I do think that could be a great garden and landscaping tool. I've actually wondered why no garden tool company has never tried that before?
They don't have a very extreme hook, but I believe that's what an arborists saw is.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Germinalphrase wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:15 pm
Being able to sharpen with a sharpmaker stone would be a huge benefit - if it were possible.
I see no practicable possibility to sharpen teeth used on the Spyder Saw and similar sawblades with Sharpmaker stones, besides other challanges the difference in sizes are too big.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My experience with folding saws like the Bahco is that they cut for years without needing sharpening. They usually wear out from getting the blade pinched and then bending the blade.

I have a Leatherman Wave and some SAKs that I have used for years and they haven’t been sharpened. If you are gonna cut that much just get a bow saw so you can swap blades.

I hope that eventually they put a saw in one of the new Clipitools. It would be handy for clearing out blinds while hunting as well as for general yard work.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?