changes in blade thought across the years

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Termite Toothpick

Re: changes in blade thought across the years

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I have always been in love with knives...

My first that I purchased with my own hard earned cash was a Pacific Cutlery Bali-Song. That was in the late 80's or early 90's. I still have it and will never get rid of it, it was more for just playing around with and it stayed at home. My user pocket knife was a SAK or other small folder when I was young. I joined the Army in 1996 and was stationed in Ft. Lewis and my first real good knife was an AFCK in ATS-34 from BM. And I was brand loyal for many years, but always remembered the Spydie hole and the ease of use.

It wasn't until I was looking for a reasonably priced (quality) folder to introduce the world of knives to my 10 yr old. This is when my eyes were opened to other than BM. I picked the salt DF2 for his first knife and soon found myself with a G-10 DF2,then a ZDP, PM2, Para3...

It wasn't just the knife that got me hooked. The history of Spyderco along with this forum, with the amazing interaction from Sal and others within Spyderco was a joy to see. Along with Spyderco's support of military/fire/police/first responders, I think the company is great and I am hooked and along for the ride!

Steels - I didn't know, and even didn't get into sharpening my own until I was educated by this forum. I really like ZDP 189, my s110v is close after that. And I can't wait until I get to try out HAP 40 when my Wharncliffe Delica comes home (waiting patiently on the pre order).

Handle materials - I prefer Micarta, like G-10 and have been pleasantly surprised by my Chaparral LW with the FRN.

History - I like that I feel I can stand behind the history and the values of this company. My own history, I love knives and will pass it on to my kids; to always be prepared and responsible.

Geography - currently in Germany so I tend to carry smaller blades (already prefer those) and occasionally a slip joint if I think I may be restricted on what I can have, like at festivals, concerts or ridding the train (possible search points).

Edge geometries - still learning

Fixed - on my deployments I always had a fixed blade strapped to my pack. Not so much need here and now, but a while back while cycling to work I ran into a pack of wild boar in the woods. My first response was to strap my fixed blade on my backpack just in case for future rides. Not sure I would have faired too well, but I am not willing to go down without a fight. And I do take fixed blades with me when we go camping. I so want a Sprig!

Folders - mostly these!

Locks - I like the compression lock the best, it just seams so natural to me. I also have been surprised by my Chaparral with the back lock and it see the most pocket time right now! So for a short while I was steering clear of non compression lock knives, but now am open to others but still prefer the compression lock.

slip-joints - I have just a few, no Spyderco's in that category yet
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Gen 2 Delica: Cut a bunch of stems for Mother's Day.
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

Started out with a British Sailor's clasp knife my dad had left me when I was a boy, and as a youngster, lusting after those crappy little fish shaped penknives you could get for pocket money at the sea side. The first proper knife (and first oho) I bought about was about 30 years ago and was (what I now know was) a lockback Spyderco knock-off. I thought it was ingenious how you could open the knife one handed via the hole in the blade instead of a the usual nail-knick. Carried it throughout my teen years until I lost it; at which point I got into Swiss army knives and big fixed blades. In my mid teens I also got into martial arts and studied Iaido and Bokken (so of course I had to get a Katana, which lead to collecting a few more swords). In my early twenties I got into bushcraft and thought I had to have the one knife to rule them all; I mean that could 'do it all'; spending enjoyable years and a fair bit of money trying to find it. Then one day many years ago I found the British Blades forum and was introduced to the internet wide world of locking folders proper: Spyderco, Benchmade, Al Mar, custom grails etc. 'oh my, what wonders' and was blown away. I watched and learned as the design process of the original UKPK came to fruition (bought two of those bad boys) and snapped up a Manix when they first came out. Lock backs, liner and frame locks, compression and axis, I 've seen a few (and a couple of odd ones you don't see often).

I like the Lockback the least as I've not had one that didn 't have some blade play (including Buck 110's x3, Fallkniven TK4's x2, endura G10's x2, Boker titan x 2 and the Manix). My pet peeve is blade play. I've nixed perfectly usable knives due to barely (but) perceptible blade play (the G10 Endura's and a limited edition drop point Buck 110 being the most heartbreaking :( ).

As I've aged, what I've wanted out of a knife has mellowed and I've learned that I'm not likely to need or use a post apocalyptic multi-sword with which to chop down trees, cut open car doors, stick and skin a pig or take on wolves and goblins. I've found a good quality slip-joint will handle 99.9% of my daily use. I teach forest school to adults and so enjoy that opportunity to play with Khukuris, axes and sheath knives etc. but have kept my first love for folding knives. I have a fair collection of fixed blades but many more folding knives.

My favourite knife is the Spyderco Urban. Partly because I live in England and don't need an excuse for carrying it, and partly because it's actually an amazingly good design in it's own right that charms me with it's capable simplicity. Sometimes there are occasions when I could legally carry a bigger axis-locker or frame-lock but I just don't bother because I know the Urban will handle the task equally as well.

From time to time I see a locking knife and think 'oh that's nice' but with the laws and attitudes in the UK how they are at the minute, collecting locking knives as part of my hobby seems less and less sustainable. But I will continue collecting slipjoints. I've now sold off most of my expensive locking folders (to fund the growing family) and just kept a few that'll see use in the field (Para 2, BM 520 Presidio, BM HK14205, Lionsteel KUR- in the UK these knives are relatively expensive compared with the US :rolleyes: ).

When it comes to modern folder blade materials I rest content with anything better then 420HC. In my youth I battered the snot out of knives with cheap 420 stainless blades and found they could still cut things. Don't get me wrong; I'll still appreciate a 'good steel' and will buy the version of a knife with the best steel I can reasonably afford, but was never focused on (paying an excessive premium for) subtle improvements in performance that woudn't register in my usage; i.e. if a knife is produced in Aus 8, D2 and S35VN, unless the S35VN is on offer, I'll go with D2. I'm not cutting dozens of cardboard boxes or lengths of 4inch sisal rope on a regular basis (baguettes, loose threads, cheese, packets, or feather sticks are the most demanding things I cut usually) so don't need 'indestructasteel'. A well executed (flat grind preferably) profile, heat-treat, and thinness behind the edge are what I desire from a blade. I had a phase of liking thick bladed pocket achors (to complement my multi sword) but these days I just want a knife that cuts well, safely and comfortably whilst looking appealing to my aesthetic tastes and doesn't need stropping after every use. I can't stand 'tactical' multi-grind or 'nightmare grind' blades. Funnily enough I also can't abide wharncliff or sheepfoot blades either (despite my first knife being a sheepsfoot). I've always felt a general purpose pocket knife should have a point. Seems pointless for it not to have one :p .

In handle materials I prefer Titanium, Mircarta or wood, with G10 and Aluminium as second tier materials. That said, I've no complaints with the feel of FRN on the Urban; but that is the only knife I have experience of FRN with. I prefer

Sorry guys, just realised what a waffle I've been on. If you've managed to read through this post, I thank and applaud you and suggest you get up, go outside and cut something :D .

Urban Moose
araneae

Post by araneae »

I started with small knives. MiniBuck as a kid. I found Spyderco with the Ladybug because it was cheap enough that I could afford it as a teen. I had a handful of junk knives too and some ok knives from Gerber, Schrade, etc. Moving on I had a couple Dragonflies as they were also in budget, but after owning and using I realized they were also amazing knives. Leading to more Spydies, some big (Millie), some tiny (bug) and many in between. Years and well over a hundred Spydies later, I still hold the D'fly in high regard. There is a lot you can do with that little big knife. I don't need the high end steels or exotic handle materials, although I have a lot of the D'fly sprints. I have a lot more knives than I need, I could get along pretty well with a Dragonfly or 2 and a Delica...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal