You believe in love at 2nd sight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

You believe in love at 2nd sight?

Post by spyderwolf »

I wonder if any of you guys hated a knife the first time you try it,and fall in love with it the second time around?
I had this experience with the Yojimbo 2.I bought it about 2 years ago,because i'm a great Janich fan,but i hated the knife once i had it in hand.So couple of months ago,my fiance gifted me the Yojimbo,and i started carry it to not disapoint her.And i fall for it,to the point it kicked my beloved Delica out of my pocket.
Now i'm thinking about geting the Ronin,too :D
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Evil D

Re: You believe in love at 2nd sight?

Post by Evil D »

Oh I've had a few. In fact most of my favorite models started out as knives I really didn't care for and warmed up to over time. Most notably the Military and Manix 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

Knives with M's simply get More love, Mmmmmmilitary and Mmmmmmanix2 mmmmmmm!
Calgary on the Bow
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

The Military. Old S30V left me lukewarm, but the CQI S110V won me over. And the M4 is even better.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Manix. Manix 2 LW just couldn't find its way into my rotation. Manix 2 G10 M4 DLC is a joy, and one of my favorites. Perhaps not fair, since it is a completely different feel in lot of ways. But, it is a Manix.
Peter
mjdragonfly

Post by mjdragonfly »

anycal wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:05 pm
Manix. Manix 2 LW just couldn't find its way into my rotation. Manix 2 G10 M4 DLC is a joy, and one of my favorites. Perhaps not fair, since it is a completely different feel in lot of ways. But, it is a Manix.
I felt the same way about the Manix 2 LW at first then I grew to appreciate it and like it as much as my Manix 2 in G10 for different reasons though.
If you love the feel and heft of the G10 Manix you should check out the feel of the Manix 2 back lock in extra thick G10 with a fine texture. The combination of the thicker blade stock along with the big back lock make for a real experience and a very special feel. Guess I am a Manix 2 kind of guy.
Calgary on the Bow
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

anycal wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:05 pm
I have mixed feelings about the Manix,too.I only had the G10 version in hand,and it fitted my hand perfectly,but i'm put off by the choil.On the other hand,i think about the frn version for a long time now...blue,wire clip,lightweight...maybe i should give it a try.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

When I first took the Roadie out of the box, I felt like it was the silliest and dumbest knife design ever. Coupled with the sharp Italy-factory edges on everything but the blade, I thought for sure it was going to be heading home. Then I carried it.

"Oh. That's why."

Now it's a keeper!
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Same here. I was intrigued by the “alien” design and the wonky double dent and wasn’t sure I would like a knife without an actual pointy point. But now it’s always in my pocket and has handled all of the basic knife chores I usually need. It don’t prep food, but I have kitchen knives for that. It is an amazingly versatile and under-appreciated knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I've said it before, and it bears repeating here. I now love the PM2.

Didn't initially, even though it was among my first Spydies. While I respected the PM2 from the get-go, I reserved my affection for leaf-shaped blades, the Manix2 most of all.

However, as I became more steel-curious and the PM2 became a gateway for new steels, I began using the PM2 more and more and discovered the goodness of its design.

But I don't love my Manixes less because I love my PM2s more. Weird how that happens.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really was not a fan of the Manix knives. They were too heavy and too course in the hand. Then, I got a LW and thought, "wow, that is a great carry knife" and then I bought a back lock and thought "this could be the only knife I would own if I had to choose one."
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Yes I do. I didn’t care for my first plain jane PM2, but now that I have a second one, the BHQ exclusive with M4, I can’t put it down. The PM2 is a great knife. The ergos just work.
Josh
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Delica FFG. I would be embarrassed to search my name and Delica FFG here. I said lots of disparaging things that simply later were wrong about too fragile, thin, etc. Have one in pocket as I type this
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

For me it was the Stretch & Manix 2; once I laid my mitts on them... now they're some of my go-to knives :spyder:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I didn't think I would like the Delica at all, passed on it twice. Now I have three of them :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

For me it was the 940-2, and for spyderco models I've come to understand something which really clicked after I got my first manix 2. It's not a looker like a pm2, the bbl is great but I wasn't in love with it at first. Then I used it a week and bought a lw S110V manix 2 as well. It is the most ergonomically friendly blade I own, the grip allows immense force to be executed on the blade without risk of fingers slipping, lock failure etc. I'd trust the manix 2 even if my life depended on it and that makes it so much more then the sum of its parts. Brilliant design and execution, and I've found these aspects to be represented in all my spydies (I probably need 3 pair of pants to carry them all now haha, I went overboard but they deserve my pennies!) to a higher degree then most other blades I own, so I have no reservations up front buying from spyderco and salute them for delivering such trustworthy blades at affordable prices. Above and beyond stuff.