who else has convexed an edge on a spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toothed

Post by toothed »

Very interesting reading here. But shouldn't there be a disclaimer in this thread? For example: "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, don't try this at home. Posters are professional sharpeners. Your results may vary and most likely be detrimental to your knife if you don't know what you're doing."

Keep posting. I'm watching and trying to learn. Thanks.
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

yog - I use the cardboard as the strop, the same way that people use a piece of leather. But you don't need any stropping paste for the cardboard. The cardboard alone is abrasive enough to effetively polish the edge on many steels. I've used this method on my 52100 steel knives with full convex grinds.
yog

Post by yog »

Interesting. I knew cardboard was quite abrasive to knife blades, you've only got to feal the heat coming off the blade after prolonged box cutting to realise this, I'd even heard of stropping on cardboard that had been prepared with stropping paste, but I'd not tried it on a "clean" piece of cardboard.
I'll have to try this once I've thinned down the blade some more.

Thanks for the tip.

Walk softly, carry a big stick.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

right now I'm playing with final grit on the millie. I have a feeling it ain't gonna shave though.

I just did a 600grit edge now, and it slices paper and boxes like nothing.

My Word, My Honour, is my Life.