KnifeCenter Exclusive HAP40 Pakkawood Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
attila

Re: KnifeCenter Exclusive HAP40 Pakkawood Dragonfly

Post by attila »

I'll still get one of these, but it's very disappointing that this Dragonfly will be just $2 less than my Delica was when the Pakkawood series was first released less than a year ago.
If my ZDP Dragonfly had a stouter handle (G10) or steel liners, I wouldn't get this new Pakkawood one.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

How is MSRP/MAP set on an exclusive like this? Does KC get to pick the price point, or does Spyderco set a minimum price based on the production cost or something?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

attila wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:01 pm
I'll still get one of these, but it's very disappointing that this Dragonfly will be just $2 less than my Delica was when the Pakkawood series was first released less than a year ago.
It is an expensive little knife but the price seems about right considering that Delica you're referring to is now selling for $156. Also, the G10/VG10 Dragonfly is selling for $107.22. So $23 to upgrade to HAP40 and Pakkawood scales seems reasonable to me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:27 pm
attila wrote:
It is an expensive little knife but the price seems about right considering that Delica you're referring to is now selling for $156. Also, the G10/VG10 Dragonfly is selling for $107.22. So $23 to upgrade to HAP40 and Pakkawood scales seems reasonable to me.
^^^^ This was my first thought. I can't rush in and pre-order one right now, but I will get one soon.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
attila

Post by attila »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:27 pm
attila wrote:
I totally get that, which is why I am still getting one.

I also considered the comparison with the G10 variety, but I can get those for $83 direct from Spyderco, making it a much more noteworthy $47 upgrade.

I must admit, though, that that really is small price to pay once in a while, esp considering how fortunate we all are to be able to afford these problems in the first place.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:28 am
Somewhat “better” steel in the Chaparral, but VG-10 is no slouch.
I believe the steel in question for this particular Dragonfly is HAP40, not VG10.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:08 am
In stock!

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP28WDP
Yep! I got my shipping notice earlier today.
Strider

Post by Strider »

I wasn't expecting this one already.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

After lucking out with beautiful grain/color on both sides of my Delica and loving this hap40, the dragonfly is very tempting!! Sure would look good together!
hom76

Post by hom76 »

I got my shipping notice too. Getting so excited now!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

On a side note, regarding this steel combo...i just finished a steak dinner, using my Delica and lower part of the steel where the laminate meets (im assuming the hap40?) Is now slightly discolored compared to the rest of the blade. Even after cleaning with a mild soap and oiling. Anybody else experience this with theirs? Doesnt have a pitina look to it, but something is slightly off. Really hoping it's not a patina, thats just not my thing.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RickC27 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:45 pm
On a side note, regarding this steel combo...i just finished a steak dinner, using my Delica and lower part of the steel where the laminate meets (im assuming the hap40?) Is now slightly discolored compared to the rest of the blade. Even after cleaning with a mild soap and oiling. Anybody else experience this with theirs? Doesnt have a pitina look to it, but something is slightly off. Really hoping it's not a patina, thats just not my thing.
Sounds like it's beginning to patina to me.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Ugh, i was fearing that. Really didnt want this with an exclusive, especially after the first time on anything possibly corrosive. (Had the impression the sus410 was supposed to help with that) feeling a bit stressed at the moment. I knew i should have stuck to stainless. Im kind of ocd with things like mirrors, screens, windows always being clean and spotless...apparently blades that arent dlc have the same effect on me. To anyone buying this dragonfly, if you're not a fan of patinas, be very careful with what or where you use this knife.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Got my shipping notice as well :D This will be my first Dfly with liners, looking forward to it.

RickC27 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:24 pm
Ugh, i was fearing that. Really didnt want this with an exclusive, especially after the first time on anything possibly corrosive. (Had the impression the sus410 was supposed to help with that) feeling a bit stressed at the moment. I knew i should have stuck to stainless. Im kind of ocd with things like mirrors, screens, windows always being clean and spotless...apparently blades that arent dlc have the same effect on me. To anyone buying this dragonfly, if you're not a fan of patinas, be very careful with what or where you use this knife.
The good news is Hap 40 takes one of the lightest patinas around. A light grey as compared to the light black of something like super blue. I think the two tone of the stainless laminate vs the hap 40 looks cool, like a nice san mai chef knife. But even better news for you, some flitz metal polish (or something like it) and a little elbow grease should take that off of there. You could always get some diamond paste and mirror polish the whole thing too (you'll lose the spyder though).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

Metal polish will remove the patina, though you'll lose some of the satin finish in exchange for more shine. I like car metal polishes like mother's or meguiars, as they are pretty mild. Many aluminum car wheels are painted or clear coated so those polishes are mild enough not to ruin the paint when someone uses it on a coated wheel. They work well on knives and leave a protective coating behind (though it probably won't stand up to cutting food).
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RickC27 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:24 pm
The SUS410 does help to prevent corrosion but not where the tool steel's exposed. Like the other guys suggested, hit it with a little metal polish and it'll be fine. I have several knives with tool steels and none of them have any patina because I don't generally use them to cut food.

I'm a little OCD with some things too. Apparently, not quite to the extent that you are though. :p When I first got back into knives I didn't like scratches, smudges, patina, etc on the blades. Then I realized that some of that is unavoidable if I'm actually going to use the knives. One of my favorite things about this hobby is trying different steels. I can't really try the different steels if I don't cut stuff with them until they need sharpening, then seeing how they are to sharpen, what kind of edge a particular steel takes, etc. The beauty of HAP40 is how easy it is to get really sharp. I suggest you suppress the OCD and just enjoy using that knife. Don't sweat it when it gets scratches and patina. It's part of your history with the knife.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Flitz is the best at removing patina without the use of harsher abrasives. I have not seen it cause problems with the satin finish on Superblue or Hap40. It may however change the sus410 depending on how hard you scrub. I generally just lightly rub with a paper towel
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Thanks for all the suggestions on removing the patina guys. I appreciate it. As Zrows said, it really is a pretty faint patina, a light grey/almost bluish color...which I will admit, doesn't look too bad actually once I looked at it this morning after the initial shock...and beer have worn off. I'll take a pic when I get home, decided not carry it today because I didn't want my ocd to kick in and drive me nuts while working haha.

Sharp Guy - You're right, I should just use it and not worry about it. But being an exclusive, I was going to try and baby it a bit. After using it though, that baby sure loves to slice and made every bite of that steak taste even better! Now to decide since it now has its imperfections, just roll with it or fix it up with these suggestions. The never ending mental battle continues haha. Again, I really appreciate the feedback/suggestions. This small community is great!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal