LC200N Caribbean

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

LC200N Caribbean

Post by sal »

Peter just finished testing the Caribbean models in LC200N. The first shipment just came in with the ceramic ball bearings. The plain edge tested well, about 30% better than plain edge H1. The serrated version tested about 4.8 times better than the plain edge.

We are also learning that H1 may be better at corrosion resistance than LC. We're finding that LC200N by itself is quite resistant to corrosion, but other materials attached to the LC may cause minor corrosion on some cases due to; galvanic reactions of material or accelerants like sulpher in the other materials. This was the case with the LC Mule that came back corroded. We're still testing. (I also need to know if we replaced that Mule?)

sal
cabfrank

Re: LC200N Caribbean

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Great to hear! This is an exciting model for sure!

Interesting to hear of the notable performance differences between plain and serrated LC200N! Makes the serrated model all the more tempting! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Ceramic ball bearings :confused:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:23 pm

I'm assuming he's referring to the detent balls.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:25 pm
elena86 wrote:

That was my understanding as well.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Nord

Post by Nord »

Man I sure hope there are no ball bearings in the Caribbean or any Salt knife ever, just another place to get gunked up, especially in a knife that will see a lot of that if used for fishing etc. I'm sure Sal just misspoke though.
We are also learning that H1 may be better at corrosion resistance than LC
Given that it is only galvanic corrosion that is the issue then the answer would be to not use any dissimilar metals in the lock bar etc, or have them DLC'd like the coming Native 5 Salt (though I assume the DLC would wear on the contact point, so may not be a solution)

If lc200n is used for all metal parts, then the galvanic corrosion problem is gone.

It is a little disappointing honestly. I think we all had a lot of enthusiasm for Lc200n precisely because it would just as corrosion resistant as h1 but be stronger. If it's stronger but less corrosion resistant then for me it is a downgrade from H1. At least it is a solvable issue of galvanic corrosion and not an actual problem with the material itself.

Thank you Sal for updating us, I look forward to seeing how this plays out
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:45 pm
Peter just finished testing the Caribbean models in LC200N. The first shipment just came in with the ceramic ball bearings. The plain edge tested well, about 30% better than plain edge H1. The serrated version tested about 4.8 times better than the plain edge.

We are also learning that H1 may be better at corrosion resistance than LC. We're finding that LC200N by itself is quite resistant to corrosion, but other materials attached to the LC may cause minor corrosion on some cases due to; galvanic reactions of material or accelerants like sulpher in the other materials. This was the case with the LC Mule that came back corroded. We're still testing. (I also need to know if we replaced that Mule?)

sal
Thanks for giving us this update Mr. Glesser! I'm excited to see these new Salt models moving forward.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

Nord wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:49 pm
It is a little disappointing honestly. I think we all had a lot of enthusiasm for Lc200n precisely because it would just as corrosion resistant as h1 but be stronger. If it's stronger but less corrosion resistant then for me it is a downgrade from H1. At least it is a solvable issue of galvanic corrosion and not an actual problem with the material itself.
I agree with the sentiment above. Depending on Sal’s answers to the above, my preorders for the Caribbean and Autonomy 2 may be canceled. Shoot. All that waiting for nothing.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Thanks for the update. Stuff happens; every problem leads to new solutions and the advancement of new knowledge. If it's not one thing it's another...we learn to accept and often like it that way. :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

SpyderNut wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:45 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:25 pm
elena86 wrote:

That was my understanding as well.
That is correct.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nord,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Spambait, Nord. Sorry for your disappointment. Though I will say that your LC200N knife will be corrosion free with very minimal care.

sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Nord wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:49 pm
Man I sure hope there are no ball bearings in the Caribbean or any Salt knife ever, just another place to get gunked up, especially in a knife that will see a lot of that if used for fishing etc. I'm sure Sal just misspoke though.
We are also learning that H1 may be better at corrosion resistance than LC
Given that it is only galvanic corrosion that is the issue then the answer would be to not use any dissimilar metals in the lock bar etc, or have them DLC'd like the coming Native 5 Salt (though I assume the DLC would wear on the contact point, so may not be a solution)

If lc200n is used for all metal parts, then the galvanic corrosion problem is gone.

Thank you Sal for updating us, I look forward to seeing how this plays out
There's still a place for degrees of corrosion resistance. Having LC200N in the lineup gives users the ability to choose a different balance of CR and edge retention, where CR is higher than almost every other steel but edge retention is superior to H1. Another step on that spectrum would be S110V in that it's very corrision-resistant, but not as much as LC200N, but then also has more edge retention, and so on. As long as there isn't some sort of widespread corrosion issue with the LC200N models, I doubt it'll be too much trouble to use them in a corrosive environment.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Thanks for the update. It’s always great to hear this type of information, especially with new models and materials.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm wondering if that outperformance of serrated compared to plain edge is true across all steels? How is it tested?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Stainless hardware will eventually rust on any knife given enough exposure, including the H1 Salts. When using a highly corrosion resistant hardware like what Spyderco uses on their salt knives it takes a LOT to make it rust. I have tortured my tusk and Spydiechef just like my other Salts and they have fared about the same as their H1 counterparts.

I’m going to be doing some experimenting soon with DLC coated hardware. I’ll update here if I get interesting results.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Thanks for the update Sal. I’m so glad this knife is going to be released soon.

I’m not concerned with it having slightly less corrosion resistance.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for the update, Sal!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

What I would like to see is a serious, no-holds-barred test between H1 and LC200N for corrosion resistance. None of this soak-it-in-saltwater-for-an-hour-and-see-what-happens stuff - I want to see them exposed to saltwater for a month - or until one of them begins to rust.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

much appreciate the info. :spyder:
Thanks Sal, these are awesome knives and your innovation and tests with the steel very cool! :cool: