PPT Sprint Lockup

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nelly5

PPT Sprint Lockup

Post by nelly5 »

Hello,

Just curious on what your thoughts are on the lockup of my new PPT sprint Carbon. It seems a little late to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attachments
8D71FC7B-F645-423F-BFE1-8F72B7A43CF3.jpeg
PStone

Re: PPT Sprint Lockup

Post by PStone »

Looks perfect to me. This is mine for comparison.

nelly5

Post by nelly5 »

Well, that makes me feel better. Thanks for posting.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have one of the originals. It’s seldom carried due to weight but the lockup hasn’t migrated ever. It’s also worth noting that a partially engaged lock bar is weaker. Not sure how the general obsession with early lockup got started.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nelly,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
swigert

Post by swigert »

Looks good to me.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

nelly5 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:19 am
Hello,

Just curious on what your thoughts are on the lockup of my new PPT sprint Carbon. It seems a little late to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Honestly I wouldn't worry about the lockup percentage, I'd be more concerned with the apparent lack of decent contact with the lockface. It seems that the lockface grind is kind of bad to me. Doesn't mean it won't do its job, but I'd be concerned. See how the other example is concave? Yours looks a little convexed. If so then it would mean an incredibly weak lock that would slip any time decent pressure is applied.

And as far as the amount of contact, if done right I'm far more comfortable with a 40-70% lockup than a 10%. I don't know why that became a thing for knives that are meant to be used. For a "hard use" knife that's not actually meant to be used that also has no mission, no real job to perform or warranty to back it up, a la Hinderer, then i get it. Take it out, fiddle with it, then put it back in its box and drawer...you want a lock that LOOKS like it'll last forever without any real reason to think it could. For knives that people ACTUALLY work hard, a good lock that won't fail for years and a solid warranty is what is wanted.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
nelly5

Post by nelly5 »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:27 am
Hi Nelly,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you. I appreciate the welcome.
nelly5

Post by nelly5 »

Bodog wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:20 pm
nelly5 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:19 am
Hello,

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the lockup percentage, I'd be more concerned with the apparent lack of decent contact with the lockface. It seems that the lockface grind is kind of bad to me. Doesn't mean it won't do its job, but I'd be concerned. See how the other example is concave? Yours looks a little convexed. If so then it would mean an incredibly weak lock that would slip any time decent pressure is applied.

And as far as the amount of contact, if done right I'm far more comfortable with a 40-70% lockup than a 10%. I don't know why that became a thing for knives that are meant to be used. For a "hard use" knife that's not actually meant to be used that also has no mission, no real job to perform or warranty to back it up, a la Hinderer, then i get it. Take it out, fiddle with it, then put it back in its box and drawer...you want a lock that LOOKS like it'll last forever without any real reason to think it could. For knives that people ACTUALLY work hard, a good lock that won't fail for years and a solid warranty is what is wanted.

I think it may be a bit of an optical illusion. The lock face appeared to be pretty level/flat when I look in person, but I can see how it may appear so in the picture. Does that sounds like a better lock up?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

nelly5 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm

I think it may be a bit of an optical illusion. The lock face appeared to be pretty level/flat when I look in person, but I can see how it may appear so in the picture. Does that sounds like a better lock up?
I don't know how that convex lock bar could be an optical illusion but if it's ok with you then it's ok with you. It's your knife. I would like to see some more photos before saying anything more but from that one photo it seems very apparent there is a big gap at the edge of the lockbar and it seems curved completely the wrong way. Who knows. Maybe it is an optical illusion. The one from dirtmcgirt seems good.
nelly5

Post by nelly5 »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:45 pm
nelly5 wrote:

I don't know how that convex lock bar could be an optical illusion but if it's ok with you then it's ok with you. It's your knife. I would like to see some more photos before saying anything more but from that one photo it seems very apparent there is a big gap at the edge of the lockbar and it seems curved completely the wrong way. Who knows. Maybe it is an optical illusion. The one from dirtmcgirt seems good.
Maybe I'm not quite understanding to what you are referring. I don't see convex on the lock bar, as I think it looks flat. I'm by not means a knife expert, and you certainly sound like you know what you're talking about. I took another picture and tried to reduce the amount of shadow and reflection in it. Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_2016.jpeg
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

nelly5 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 pm
Bodog wrote:
nelly5 wrote:

Maybe I'm not quite understanding to what you are referring. I don't see convex on the lock bar, as I think it looks flat. I'm by not means a knife expert, and you certainly sound like you know what you're talking about. I took another picture and tried to reduce the amount of shadow and reflection in it. Hope this helps.
The lock face on the tang. The second picture shows the problem as much as the first.
nelly5

Post by nelly5 »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 pm
nelly5 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 pm
Bodog wrote:
nelly5 wrote:

The lock face on the tang. The second picture shows the problem as much as the first.
Well, I guess I still don't get what you're seeing. Thanks for trying. I appreciate it.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I think he means that the lower portion of the lock (the tang that you press with your thumb) is curved like mountain and not like a valley (from our perspective), so instead of being a hump (convex) it should be a cavity (concave).
nelly5

Post by nelly5 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 am
I think he means that the lower portion of the lock (the tang that you press with your thumb) is curved like mountain and not like a valley (from our perspective), so instead of being a hump (convex) it should be a cavity (concave).

Thanks for that explanation. That clears it up. I didn't know a lock face was suppose to have that sort of geometry to it. Do you think this is something I should be contacting the Warranty department over?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

nelly5 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:31 am
ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks for that explanation. That clears it up. I didn't know a lock face was suppose to have that sort of geometry to it. Do you think this is something I should be contacting the Warranty department over?

Two lock faces that look well done. One straight (on the left) and one cupped or concave (on the right) as Bob Terzuola advocates. These are not my knives but show good lock face geometry. Yours looks almost the opposite of the concave version, in other words, aconvexed lock face. Basically the opposite of what you want.

Bodog

Post by Bodog »

And here is a closeup of yours

See the difference?
JimP

Post by JimP »

Might just be an optical illusion, when I zoom right in I see the front edge has been eased which is normal and the rest of the ramp looks straight, I think it's good to go.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The fact that this lock is steel on steel seems like there should be less concern. The people who might be concerned with the engagement would be dealing with a steel on titanium lock because the titanium will (or could possibly) wear more than steel.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Donut wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 pm
The fact that this lock is steel on steel seems like there should be less concern. The people who might be concerned with the engagement would be dealing with a steel on titanium lock because the titanium will (or could possibly) wear more than steel.
I wonder if that's ever been an actualized problem or only theoretical. I've had some non-carbeurized, non-carbidized titanium on steel flippers and i flipped them incessantly for long periods of time just to see what would happen. Nothing negative ever came from it. Galling has never really been an issue for me personally but i believe it has been an issue for others and that's the only thing i could ever really see being some kind of negative aspect. But there's a school of thought that believes galling is a good thing. Not overwhelming galling where you need to shove a screwdriver into lock to unstick it. Anyways, a knife locked open is better than one that can't stay open when you need it to.