Carabiner clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby ThePeacent » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:35 pm

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 pm
Ok I’m having some trouble with the prototype.

The prototype is all but finished however the issue I’m having is I can’t find screws to fit the Cara Cara 2.

Does anyone have any information on the screws. What is the thread pitch, what is the diameter of the screws and are the screws metric or standard? Any information would be helpful. Or even the same kind of information about the PM2 would be fine too. I want to see if this is a viable idea but nothing can happen until I get hardware.

PLEASE HELP!

I can only say, that if memory serves correct they are the same size as the ones on the Ontario Utilitac II and the KaBar Piggyback folder :confused:

wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby wrdwrght » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Dingle-dangles hold no appeal to me.

But neither do flippers, painted/cladded blades, ball-bearing pivots, etc.

Yet Spyderco offers so much to like, I will not complain if carabiners do show up.

Bill1170
Member
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: San Diego North County

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby Bill1170 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:09 pm

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 pm
Ok I’m having some trouble with the prototype.

The prototype is all but finished however the issue I’m having is I can’t find screws to fit the Cara Cara 2.

Does anyone have any information on the screws. What is the thread pitch, what is the diameter of the screws and are the screws metric or standard? Any information would be helpful. Or even the same kind of information about the PM2 would be fine too. I want to see if this is a viable idea but nothing can happen until I get hardware.

( FYI the Carabiner clip is designed to be left or right side compatible. You could mount it to any of the four spots on the handle but it would/will Interfere with the blade on a tip down Configuration however tip down would make it much more safe to clip to your belt loop or whatever because it will not tend to open accidentally while facing that direction.)

PLEASE HELP!
Do you need a metric screw gauge? $15 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006NFU ... 51HGOUZ91S

Bill1170
Member
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: San Diego North County

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby Bill1170 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Once you know what screws to get, McMaster should have them.

BLUETYPEII
Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 pm
Location: Mesa Arizona

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby BLUETYPEII » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:38 am

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:09 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 pm
Ok I’m having some trouble with the prototype.

The prototype is all but finished however the issue I’m having is I can’t find screws to fit the Cara Cara 2.

Does anyone have any information on the screws. What is the thread pitch, what is the diameter of the screws and are the screws metric or standard? Any information would be helpful. Or even the same kind of information about the PM2 would be fine too. I want to see if this is a viable idea but nothing can happen until I get hardware.

( FYI the Carabiner clip is designed to be left or right side compatible. You could mount it to any of the four spots on the handle but it would/will Interfere with the blade on a tip down Configuration however tip down would make it much more safe to clip to your belt loop or whatever because it will not tend to open accidentally while facing that direction.)

PLEASE HELP!
Do you need a metric screw gauge? $15 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006NFU ... 51HGOUZ91S
I went to two places that “specialized in screws” they both used the gauge your showing. Neither one of them could figure out what size they are, they couldn’t even figure out if their metric or standard.
:spyder: 18 Spyderco in 8 different steels, 1 Byrd and 16 “others” :spyder:

Bill1170
Member
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: San Diego North County

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby Bill1170 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 pm

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:38 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:09 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 pm
Ok I’m having some trouble with the prototype.

The prototype is all but finished however the issue I’m having is I can’t find screws to fit the Cara Cara 2.

Does anyone have any information on the screws. What is the thread pitch, what is the diameter of the screws and are the screws metric or standard? Any information would be helpful. Or even the same kind of information about the PM2 would be fine too. I want to see if this is a viable idea but nothing can happen until I get hardware.

( FYI the Carabiner clip is designed to be left or right side compatible. You could mount it to any of the four spots on the handle but it would/will Interfere with the blade on a tip down Configuration however tip down would make it much more safe to clip to your belt loop or whatever because it will not tend to open accidentally while facing that direction.)

PLEASE HELP!
Do you need a metric screw gauge? $15 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006NFU ... 51HGOUZ91S
I went to two places that “specialized in screws” they both used the gauge your showing. Neither one of them could figure out what size they are, they couldn’t even figure out if their metric or standard.
Huh. That’s weird. Perhaps the Screw Chek’r is missing certain finer thread pitches as used on screws designed to engage thin liners? Can you measure the major diameter with calipers and then figure the thread pitch via direct measurement? Since these are made in Asia I’d imagine they are metric. Or could Spyderco tell you the size?

BLUETYPEII
Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 pm
Location: Mesa Arizona

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby BLUETYPEII » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:30 pm

Hello everyone.

I just finished the prototype carabiner clip about 5 minutes ago and couldn’t wait to share the results. It was a little banged up in the process of making it but I think it turned out good.

This could be manufactured to face left or right and at any of the four positions on the handle.
Attachments
D8A90A6D-5543-4522-99B8-87863EAE071A.jpeg
D8A90A6D-5543-4522-99B8-87863EAE071A.jpeg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
:spyder: 18 Spyderco in 8 different steels, 1 Byrd and 16 “others” :spyder:

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6713
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby Wartstein » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:33 pm

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:30 pm
Hello everyone.

I just finished the prototype carabiner clip about 5 minutes ago and couldn’t wait to share the results. It was a little banged up in the process of making it but I think it turned out good.

This could be manufactured to face left or right and at any of the four positions on the handle.

Someone had the idea of making it a carambit ring too and I think that is an awesome idea!
As a climber I have to say: VERY cool!! I always clip my Delica CE with a carabiner through the opening hole to my harness when multipitch climbing, but your solution is way better!

EDIT: The post I commented on is now shortened and the photo there gone...

EDIT again: ...and now it's there again... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

SpyderScout
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby SpyderScout » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:17 pm

I use dangler clips on a couple of small folders but dont have any knives with carabiners directly mounted to them (I have sheath knives on which I sometimes hook a carabiner to the sheath dangler strap for convenience).
My Leatherman Skeletool CX has a carabiner on it. For what its worth, I never use the feature.

silvershade255
Member
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby silvershade255 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:43 pm

Looks great!
"Seven for One"

BLUETYPEII
Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 pm
Location: Mesa Arizona

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby BLUETYPEII » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:00 pm

silvershade255 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:43 pm
Looks great!
Thanks!
:spyder: 18 Spyderco in 8 different steels, 1 Byrd and 16 “others” :spyder:

User avatar
Sonorum
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:05 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby Sonorum » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:52 am

I'm going to make one to see what it looks like!
/ David

User avatar
rabbitanarchy14
Member
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:25 am
Location: Michigan, USA, Earth
Contact:

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby rabbitanarchy14 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:43 am

i really like the idea but inside the handle on something like a manbug clipit.
192.168.0.1 - Para 3 S35VN, Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native S30V comp, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM 2 M390 DLC BL, PM 2 K390 RG, Cat BD1N
Saving for - D'allara 3, Q-Ball, Techno 2 w/G10

User avatar
Rpp
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:58 am

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby Rpp » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:59 am

Does it double as a bottle opener? Hint hint.

BLUETYPEII
Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 pm
Location: Mesa Arizona

Re: Carabiner clip

Postby BLUETYPEII » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Rpp wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:59 am
Does it double as a bottle opener? Hint hint.
Good idea, I like it!
:spyder: 18 Spyderco in 8 different steels, 1 Byrd and 16 “others” :spyder:


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], C_Claycomb, Holland, Majestic-12 [Bot], RamZar, T2C, Woodpuppy and 29 guests