Carabiner clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Carabiner clip

Post by TomAiello »

Have you thought about asking someone like Wise Men Company?

There Signet ring (http://wisemencompany.com/signet-ring-d ... matriarch/) would have to be modified to have a carabiner/gate opening, but that' pretty much what you're talking about.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Just put a small beaner through the lanyard hole.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

silvershade255 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:32 pm
First greetings all, I've been browsing the forums for awhile but never got around to registering.

So I've been debating a snapit dispite reading it's not the most lefty friendly. This got me wondering if spyderco or any manufacturer has tried to make a carabiner that could mount in place of a pocket clip?

The (crude) drawing is my attempt at showing what I mean.
I’m going to buy one of these or something similar to it after work in an attempt to make what you were talking about. I’ll report back.
Attachments
499ADF83-AF17-4F7C-93F0-BDE29FA29841.jpeg
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Edit: beaten by Tom above!

I'd also prefer a backspacer if I'm going to take a knife apart, but I like that silvershade's original proposal doesn't require disassembly.
It's also going to fit on far more models as proposed (I'm assuming that almost zero Spyderco models have shared screw hole locations for standoffs/spacers.)

Silvershade, you should hit up wisemencompany.com. Their Signet Ring has a lot of the same design parameters as a back spacer carabiner, though adding a moving part would undoubtedly take a lot of careful engineering.
Lodestar

Post by Lodestar »

Cool idea.

I wonder if it would actually work as a universal design. Seems like a lot more force/stress would potentially be placed on the threads, screws, and attachment point. I'd buy one after initial reviews got rid of that concern.

For my use, would be nice to dangle any knife of choice on a backpack. Use a quick and dirty lanyard (paracord with a knot) and carabiner combo currently.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Lodestar wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:33 am
Cool idea.

I wonder if it would actually work as a universal design. Seems like a lot more force/stress would potentially be placed on the threads, screws, and attachment point. I'd buy one after initial reviews got rid of that concern.

For my use, would be nice to dangle any knife of choice on a backpack. Use a quick and dirty lanyard (paracord with a knot) and carabiner combo currently.
Screw strength and centered vs offset positions are my worries as well.
You could probably fine a way to use the lanyard hole to reinforce everything, maybe a threaded through-hole fastener so it would work for different thicknesses.
Sadly, engineered strength and function don't solve all the other production questions, and then there's the question of looks and ergonomics.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pummkin,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry to say it's not a Spyderco.

Just noticed it's an old thread.

sal
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Yes, love the idea. I’d buy it.

I have cheap mini Chinese caribiners clipped to all my bags.

Have been looking at getting a Clipit but wold love this option.

Would make me buy modem Spydercos lol
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
dammyippon

Post by dammyippon »

I would buy one, seems like a good add-on.
Adam Brands Þórarinsson
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I like both ideas! The clip placement and the backspacer one. I would buy clips for some of my Spydies and would strongly consider a knife made with the backspace clip. The Polestar or Alcyone would work well for that I think.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
RLR

Post by RLR »

116DE0F5-816D-48DB-8676-E8D839B1DD1D.jpeg
With or without split-ring. Works well on some models. And those carabiners are cheap.
sal

Post by sal »

When I designed / invented the "Snap It", I put the "hook" at the front end of the handle so the knife would be deployed ( un-hooked ) and the blade opened without having to rotate the knife in your hand. When I designed / invented the remote release, while I put the "hook" at the rear end of the knife, the release for "un-hooknig" the knife was at the front of the handle so again. the knife didn't have to be rotated in the hand to deploy the blade. Having to rotate the knife in your hand, especially in an emergency situation, I perceived as a design flaw as it made dropping the knife a possibility.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:07 pm
When I designed / invented the "Snap It", I put the "hook" at the front end of the handle so the knife would be deployed ( un-hooked ) and the blade opened without having to rotate the knife in your hand. When I designed / invented the remote release, while I put the "hook" at the rear end of the knife, the release for "un-hooknig" the knife was at the front of the handle so again. the knife didn't have to be rotated in the hand to deploy the blade. Having to rotate the knife in your hand, especially in an emergency situation, I perceived as a design flaw as it made dropping the knife a possibility.

sal
They're both nice, i much prefer the Remote release though.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

An interesting idea, and some design issues that come to mind:

It needs to symmetric through it's thickness in the screw and bolster area in order be attachable to either the left or right sides of the knife in order to maximize the options for where it the knife is going to be carried, but I don't see this as a very large design problem.

I am very curious to see BLUETYPEII 's prototype. I personally like the idea of the Niteize S-biners but I find their gate strength to be too low for me to trust my gear and keys to. Perhaps if the wire gauge of the spring gate hybrid were increased, it would increase the gate resistance.

If this "Clipabiner" (my name suggestion for this possible product ) is attached tip down style, like the Snap It, it will easily preserve one handed blade deployment without having to shift the knife in hand too much. However, as Sal said, attached tip up style will require a bit more manipulation to deploy.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Knife Knut wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:41 am
An interesting idea, and some design issues that come to mind:

It needs to symmetric through it's thickness in the screw and bolster area in order be attachable to either the left or right sides of the knife in order to maximize the options for where it the knife is going to be carried, but I don't see this as a very large design problem.

I am very curious to see BLUETYPEII 's prototype. I personally like the idea of the Niteize S-biners but I find their gate strength to be too low for me to trust my gear and keys to. Perhaps if the wire gauge of the spring gate hybrid were increased, it would increase the gate resistance.

If this "Clipabiner" (my name suggestion for this possible product ) is attached tip down style, like the Snap It, it will easily preserve one handed blade deployment without having to shift the knife in hand too much. However, as Sal said, attached tip up style will require a bit more manipulation to deploy.
I’m still struggling to find the right object to modify into this clip but I’m working on it.

I think I found where to buy this...
It’s what I will use to make the prototype.
Attachments
D0E695C0-7958-4763-8670-32840450DC6B.jpeg
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’m headed to a local hardware store today to try and find some screws to mount the clip, the prototype will probably be done this weekend. Because I cherish my Spyderco knives I will be mounting this to my Cara Cara 2 work knife in order to see how well it functions.

EXTREAM CAUTION!!!

If you make one of these yourselves be very careful that you choose the appropriate knife anything with a week detent could end up being a catastrophically bad idea. You really don’t want a 4 inch knife blade sticking into your thigh. This occurred to me While making this
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:23 pm
I’m headed to a local hardware store today to try and find some screws to mount the clip, the prototype will probably be done this weekend. Because I cherish my Spyderco knives I will be mounting this to my Cara Cara 2 work knife in order to see how well it functions.

EXTREAM CAUTION!!!

If you make one of these yourselves be very careful that you choose the appropriate knife anything with a week detent could end up being a catastrophically bad idea. You really don’t want a 4 inch knife blade sticking into your thigh. This occurred to me While making this
Didn't expect this thread to resurface. :eek:

I'd actually considered the same idea, just never got around to it (distracted by some other projects and ideas) . Look forward to hearing the results!
"Seven for One"
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

An interesting idea for sure. My Native 5 is usually dangling on my pack at the end of a short lanyard with an S-biner. Which works just fine for all of my purposes. The Green linerless S90V model, just for the record. Light enough for a swell backpackers knife.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Ok I’m having some trouble with the prototype.

The prototype is all but finished however the issue I’m having is I can’t find screws to fit the Cara Cara 2.

Does anyone have any information on the screws. What is the thread pitch, what is the diameter of the screws and are the screws metric or standard? Any information would be helpful. Or even the same kind of information about the PM2 would be fine too. I want to see if this is a viable idea but nothing can happen until I get hardware.

( FYI the Carabiner clip is designed to be left or right side compatible. You could mount it to any of the four spots on the handle but it would/will Interfere with the blade on a tip down Configuration however tip down would make it much more safe to clip to your belt loop or whatever because it will not tend to open accidentally while facing that direction.)

PLEASE HELP!
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

silvershade255 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:32 pm
First greetings all, I've been browsing the forums for awhile but never got around to registering.

So I've been debating a snapit dispite reading it's not the most lefty friendly. This got me wondering if spyderco or any manufacturer has tried to make a carabiner that could mount in place of a pocket clip?

The (crude) drawing is my attempt at showing what I mean.
I think that is a solid idea for sure! They could maybe even take it a step further and use a plate or some other mechanism at the base to make it swivel, and shape the clip so it can double as a pocket clip if you swivel it 180º. Even better if it clicks/locks in place :P
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal