Carabiner clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThePeacent

Re: Carabiner clip

Post by ThePeacent »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 pm
Ok I’m having some trouble with the prototype.

The prototype is all but finished however the issue I’m having is I can’t find screws to fit the Cara Cara 2.

Does anyone have any information on the screws. What is the thread pitch, what is the diameter of the screws and are the screws metric or standard? Any information would be helpful. Or even the same kind of information about the PM2 would be fine too. I want to see if this is a viable idea but nothing can happen until I get hardware.

PLEASE HELP!

I can only say, that if memory serves correct they are the same size as the ones on the Ontario Utilitac II and the KaBar Piggyback folder :confused:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Dingle-dangles hold no appeal to me.

But neither do flippers, painted/cladded blades, ball-bearing pivots, etc.

Yet Spyderco offers so much to like, I will not complain if carabiners do show up.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:

The prototype is all but finished however the issue I’m having is I can’t find screws to fit the Cara Cara 2.

Does anyone have any information on the screws. What is the thread pitch, what is the diameter of the screws and are the screws metric or standard? Any information would be helpful. Or even the same kind of information about the PM2 would be fine too. I want to see if this is a viable idea but nothing can happen until I get hardware.

( FYI the Carabiner clip is designed to be left or right side compatible. You could mount it to any of the four spots on the handle but it would/will Interfere with the blade on a tip down Configuration however tip down would make it much more safe to clip to your belt loop or whatever because it will not tend to open accidentally while facing that direction.)

PLEASE HELP!
Do you need a metric screw gauge? $15 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006NFU ... 51HGOUZ91S
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Once you know what screws to get, McMaster should have them.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:09 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:

( FYI the Carabiner clip is designed to be left or right side compatible. You could mount it to any of the four spots on the handle but it would/will Interfere with the blade on a tip down Configuration however tip down would make it much more safe to clip to your belt loop or whatever because it will not tend to open accidentally while facing that direction.)

PLEASE HELP!
Do you need a metric screw gauge? $15 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006NFU ... 51HGOUZ91S
I went to two places that “specialized in screws” they both used the gauge your showing. Neither one of them could figure out what size they are, they couldn’t even figure out if their metric or standard.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:38 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:09 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:

PLEASE HELP!
I went to two places that “specialized in screws” they both used the gauge your showing. Neither one of them could figure out what size they are, they couldn’t even figure out if their metric or standard.
Huh. That’s weird. Perhaps the Screw Chek’r is missing certain finer thread pitches as used on screws designed to engage thin liners? Can you measure the major diameter with calipers and then figure the thread pitch via direct measurement? Since these are made in Asia I’d imagine they are metric. Or could Spyderco tell you the size?
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Hello everyone.

I just finished the prototype carabiner clip about 5 minutes ago and couldn’t wait to share the results. It was a little banged up in the process of making it but I think it turned out good.

This could be manufactured to face left or right and at any of the four positions on the handle.
Attachments
D8A90A6D-5543-4522-99B8-87863EAE071A.jpeg
D8A90A6D-5543-4522-99B8-87863EAE071A.jpeg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:30 pm
Hello everyone.

I just finished the prototype carabiner clip about 5 minutes ago and couldn’t wait to share the results. It was a little banged up in the process of making it but I think it turned out good.

This could be manufactured to face left or right and at any of the four positions on the handle.

Someone had the idea of making it a carambit ring too and I think that is an awesome idea!
As a climber I have to say: VERY cool!! I always clip my Delica CE with a carabiner through the opening hole to my harness when multipitch climbing, but your solution is way better!

EDIT: The post I commented on is now shortened and the photo there gone...

EDIT again: ...and now it's there again... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

I use dangler clips on a couple of small folders but dont have any knives with carabiners directly mounted to them (I have sheath knives on which I sometimes hook a carabiner to the sheath dangler strap for convenience).
My Leatherman Skeletool CX has a carabiner on it. For what its worth, I never use the feature.
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Looks great!
"Seven for One"
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

silvershade255 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:43 pm
Looks great!
Thanks!
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I'm going to make one to see what it looks like!
/ David
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i really like the idea but inside the handle on something like a manbug clipit.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

Does it double as a bottle opener? Hint hint.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Rpp wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:59 am
Does it double as a bottle opener? Hint hint.
Good idea, I like it!
1 Byrd and 30 “others”