Pattada owners: Tell me about it

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

Pattada owners: Tell me about it

Post by mad german »

I am increasingly drawn to the Pattada. I can't stop looking at it. However, before I go and drop $$ on a new knife, I'd like to ask the actual owners of this beautiful knife what they like about it & what they don't. It looks great on paper and in video, but I've yet to handle one in person. It's the slimness of the design that I like. Even though it's a longer knife, it looks like it would carry nicely.

Also, while I'm no steel snob by ANY stretch of the imagination, I know very little about N690. What is it comparable to? I've heard it's comparable to VG-10, 154CM, AUS-8, and even D2 (but stainless).

So, fellow Spydie-heads, please give me the real story on this work of art.

Much thanks in advance!
My collection is ever changing!
elena86

Re: Pattada owners: Tell me about it

Post by elena86 »

It has that classy european look and feel. I enjoy mine quite a lot. Superb fit and finish, velvet smooth G10 and the blade is very thin behind the edge. N690Co is perfect steel for urban edc in my book.I like it more than VG10 but don’t ask me why. Enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Love the ethnics and the Pattada is no exception, very clean design, simple yet elegant. Solid built that oozes quality. Blade length, grind and profile are spot on. The polished G10 reminds me of the vollotton and just feels right in hand. Sal really did knock this one out of the park.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

It feels lovely in the hand. For me, however, the ultra slender tip and it’s repeated attempts to guillotine my thumb when closing put me off using it.
mad german

Post by mad german »

Thx for the input? Anyone else have any thoughts on this gorgeous knife?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Fit and finish on the knife is excellent, it came very sharp. Beautiful knife. I like the blade shape and acute point it comes to. For me it wasn't as good in the hand as some other Spydies. Imo, not nearly as nice in the hand as the Chokwe. Seems like it might be better for those with larger hands. :spyder:
mad german

Post by mad german »

Oops. Double post.
Last edited by mad german on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mad german

Post by mad german »

Tdog wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 am
Fit and finish on the knife is excellent, it came very sharp. Beautiful knife. I like the blade shape and acute point it comes to. For me it wasn't as good in the hand as some other Spydies. Imo, not nearly as nice in the hand as the Chokwe. Seems like it might be better for those with larger hands. :spyder:
Thx Tdog. Any thoughts or reservations on the N690 steel (vs other "popular" steels)?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

N690 is a great steel. Sharpens easily to razors edge, also has good stainless qualities, a Bohler steel similar to VG-10 often used by European knife makers.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

It has virtually no negative blade angle and I like negative blade angle. Almost as straight as an Emerson A100
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

There was mention of the possibility of a k390 version on bf by sal. Here's hoping! Who else is on the bandwagon?
shaztecs_knives on instagram
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Buy one you will not be disappointed! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’m in for a K390 version!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
npad69

Post by npad69 »

how good is it to use as a filleting knife?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Haven't used mine as a fillet knife. Aside from trying to hack through large ribcage bones it should work well. For finesse filleting and precision cutting it should be fine. One could think of the Pattada as a folding B&T though imo the blade shape of an Urban Trapper falls closer. I have a hard time filling mine with blood and guts when I have other folders (and fixed blades) that fill this niche. If others have used it as a fillet or B&T please chime in, let us know how it works. :spyder:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 pm
I’m in for a K390 version!
K390 you say ? I like how you think :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It's a great modern rendition of an Italian Pattada. A slimmer Military. Great contoured and smooth G-10. Wish the steel was better. N690 is like 154CM, ATS34, VG10, etc.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=71204

I'd like to see it with a 2.99" blade.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

It's rad. It's somewhere between a modern Pattata and a PM2. It's much taller and much thicker than the traditional bladestyle. The Extrema Ratio Resolza is a more classic modern version of the Pattada, and it comes in the same steel. The Spyderco's G10 scales feel amazing. I take the clip off sometimes just to feel the lines of the knife properly. The blade shape has a lot of belly, but I don't find that too terribly bothersome. It's a gentleman's knife that could be put to some heavy duty use. And it looks quite stabby. It's not for lefties.

Here are my two Pattatas. Or Resolzas. Or whatever.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I have the Extrema Ratio Resolza as well. Definitely more of a Pattada with N690, aluminum handle and liner lock. No clip though. It comes in three blade lengths: 5.91”, 4.72”, 2.99”.

We need a Spyderco Pattada with a 2.99” blade.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

If you want a knife for fileting, a $20 Opinel slim 12 or 15 would probably be a better choice.