Employment

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaseRicco

Re: Employment

Post by JaseRicco »

RickC27 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:35 am
JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 am
nicktheodore wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:03 am
I work in emt field
I’m a little confused, your in the US correct, GA you said? I live in NJ which has some of the strictest weapon laws in he US, and all of our First Responders have the right to carry blades of their choice. I’ve never heard of an EMT company now allowing their employees to carry knives?? It’s a staple tool in many rescue efforts :confused:
I somehow missed that. Which I also find very odd and confusing. Same here, I live in NY...Not NYC, but still. I have 2 personal friends that I know carry a blade on them to work as EMTs. Heck, some manufacturers have a line of knives specifically for rescue efforts. I'm new to Spyderco, but I believe I've seen such from them as well? OP has to elaborate more on this, not to be attacked but because I don't understand. Many rescue efforts are made possible because of a knife!
You are absolutely correct, Spyderco makes some fine quality rescue knives for any in the market: Spyderco Assist, Spyderco ClipiTool Rescue, Spyderco Rescue 79mm, Spyderco Resuce 3, and some of these knives are made in their Salt Series making the 100% Rust/Corrosion resistent.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

JaseRicco wrote:
nicktheodore wrote:
I work in emt field
I’m a little confused, your in the US correct, GA you said? I live in NJ which has some of the strictest weapon laws in he US, and all of our First Responders have the right to carry blades of their choice. I’ve never heard of an EMT company now allowing their employees to carry knives?? It’s a staple tool in many rescue efforts :confused:
Maybe he’s not an EMT, just works for an EMT company?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Last year I decided to take a leap of faith and walk away from a company that supported my right to concealed carry a firearm. This was only the fourth employer I have ever worked for and the second who had a stated weapons policy. I was clear.. tell us if you choose to exercise your rights of concealed carry, however we need to know of your choice. My new employer has a strict no weapons policy that hurts my beliefs however as others have stated, I chose to accept their terms of employment.

My work requires tools and should one day they decide to question why I am carrying a sharp object in my pocket, I would take serious issue with that line of questioning. Still, Deacon stated it best, the rights are stated, however they all have limits.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:44 am
JaseRicco wrote:
nicktheodore wrote:
I work in emt field
Maybe he’s not an EMT, just works for an EMT company?
Could be possible, he does state EMT “field” and not “I’m an EMT”. Still a bit odd that anything having to do with the First Responders field would have such a strict knife law, especially in GA. I’d like the OP to elaborate a bit if he is able.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

When I was that age, I was a bit immature and thought I knew it all, which I didn't - not even close. I will never forget when I was discussing something with my dad one day and arguing my point, and he said to me: "If I have to explain this to you, you obviously don't get it"
-C
nicktheodore

Post by nicktheodore »

I been called immature but not trying to hurt those 50 year olds that stating here that when they were my age there was less rules and stupid laws that are against constitution what you had done for this country to stop those non sense policies laws regulations I bet none in past 30 years but someone that trying to fight for rights of all citizens is immature ? Wake up you're a sheeps of this system that illegally and slowly taking away our rights not just the 2nd amendment
TomB7777

Post by TomB7777 »

I wouldn't quit a job over their weapons policy, but I also would keep any knife or gun concealed if I knew it was against company policy. I would also not agree to any search of my person ever. They may fire me for not letting them search my body, but they won't do it for carrying a weapon unless I use the weapon for self defense.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JamesScottRockford,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

nicktheodore wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 am
I been called immature but not trying to hurt those 50 year olds that stating here that when they were my age there was less rules and stupid laws that are against constitution what you had done for this country to stop those non sense policies laws regulations I bet none in past 30 years but someone that trying to fight for rights of all citizens is immature ? Wake up you're a sheeps of this system that illegally and slowly taking away our rights not just the 2nd amendment
Nick, I understand your feelings. Everyday I see more and more steps taken to infringe upon our rights as law abiding citizens. I don't think however that our older (more mature citizens) are aware of theses daily attempts by the powers that be to push the limits of our freedoms. It might be best to choose your approach more carefully when speaking to a group of like minded individuals.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
nicktheodore

Post by nicktheodore »

I wonder what's sals opinion on this will be
JamesScottRockford

Post by JamesScottRockford »

sal wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 am
Hi JamesScottRockford,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks, Sal! Longtime lurker and longer time Spyderco fan.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

A few things I have learned...
Don’t complain about your work, if you don’t like it, do something else, be somewhere else.

When you are the boss, you get to make the rules.

When you are valueable, others will bend the rules for you.

When you are smart, productive, and connected, then you have more influence and better chance to make things happen. If you are poor, unemployed, homeless, then no one has any reason to listen to you. You can’t even take care of yourself. If you want to work for knife/ gun rights, there are organizations already doing that work. Get involved. And have a job.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

nicktheodore wrote:
Hasn't really changed that much really as far as the laws go, some are actually better with more freedom. Easier to get a CCW now than before.

Company policies are Company policies, that all really hasn't changed all that much over the years depending on what field one works in or were they happen to live.

Now Society has changed and their views on it, that is the main difference and the real problem.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nick,

While I must admit to being a bit of an "outlier" when I was your age. I did learn (often the hard way) That "Big Brother may be a bastard, but Big Brother is BIG!" There are times when you must take a step back and assess your values and how they affect your employment.

Now, I take time to carefully evaluate my decisions and what their effects might be to others, before implementing them. Principles like honesty or honor are on a different level of importance than; wearing make up, skirt length, or carrying a knife. I have lost job because of my principles, but it did affect my financial station at the time.

You may feel that your rights have been violated, but this is the world in which we live. In the end you want to be successful. Compromise may be necessary.

We make up a "T" shirt for kids that says; "The paths of your life will be determined by the choices you make. Be sure to make good choices".

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:37 am
Hi Nick,

While I must admit to being a bit of an "outlier" when I was your age. I did learn (often the hard way) That "Big Brother may be a bastard, but Big Brother is BIG!" There are times when you must take a step back and assess your values and how they affect your employment.

Now, I take time to carefully evaluate my decisions and what their effects might be to others, before implementing them. Principles like honesty or honor are on a different level of importance than; wearing make up, skirt length, or carrying a knife. I have lost job because of my principles, but it did affect my financial station at the time.

You may feel that your rights have been violated, but this is the world in which we live. In the end you want to be successful. Compromise may be necessary.

We make up a "T" shirt for kids that says; "The paths of your life will be determined by the choices you make. Be sure to make good choices".

sal
+1
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Hi Nick,

sal

The problem is sometimes even when you do the right thing you still get fired, even when you are following Company policies, happened to me more than once.

A lot of politics in the work force these days, not a good thing at all, they will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat.

Found out the hard way that honesty or honor don't matter anymore from the last one I just lost. :rolleyes:
mad german

Post by mad german »

nicktheodore wrote:
With this demonstration of your command of proper grammar, I'd be surprised if you ever get a decent job. How you write and communicate speaks volumes.
My collection is ever changing!
anycal

Post by anycal »

sal wrote:
Hi Nick,

sal
Sal,
Perhaps the job you lost over wearing makeup and short skirts was not for you anyways. Am I right?
Peter
nicktheodore

Post by nicktheodore »

Sorry for my grammar I was hit by car in 10 grade so I have ged but I still work decent job also I got the honor to serve our great country in the military
JamesScottRockford

Post by JamesScottRockford »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:35 am

Hasn't really changed that much really as far as the laws go, some are actually better with more freedom. Easier to get a CCW now than before.

Respectfully, this statement is absurd. Disregarding which side of the aisle you are on, you cannot possibly argue that we have "more freedom" than before, especially with regard to firearms.
Yes, almost everyone I know is glad that dark skinned people can go wherever they choose and attend any college, and that Americans of Japanese descent can legally own property in California. And many, many people I know are pleased as punch that two men or two women can now enjoy, legally, the right to argue daily until they hire a lawyer to split their belongings.
But... when I was a child one could purchase a firearm via the mail by simply sending a check. (Thanks, Lee Harvey!) There were no background checks or waiting periods, and firearms were not registered. As a child, I shot daily on the very campus where I now work. My father coached the school's pistol and rifle team. Fifty years ago, my university had an ARMORY on campus. Before that, anyone who wanted to could buy a Tommy gun.
As a child, my mother (and all her classmates) had knives as part of their school kit. They used them, among other things, to sharpen their pencils. Today, if my child draws a picture of a knife, she will be expelled. University presidents have been fired for using words such as "niggardly" and "niggle" in speeches. Folks, this is madness (IMO) no matter how you slice it.
Someone earlier mentioned our rich history of civil disobedience, which was made famous by the essay of the same name by Henry David Thoreau. Courage was required by Thoreau because he was willing to go to jail for his beliefs. Courage (perhaps stupidity) is required to leave your job because of principles. However deplorable the OP's grammar, I have to give him credit for being willing to take a stand that negatively effects him. In addition (and this is key) he at no time insists that you must do the same, nor does he complain about his loss of income. Yet, also elsewhere, I see someone saying the employer gets to decide and if you don't like it you can leave. Well, that's what he did!
Perhaps you want to live in a nanny state where Big Brother dictates what you must do and what you cannot do. That's fine. I may disagree with that, but you certainly have the right to believe that's a great society. But I do not believe that you can seriously assert that we have not been headed down that road for many years, nor that the speed with which we've been traveling down that road hasn't increased greatly in the last couple of decades.
So you're not willing to quit your job because they suddenly banned knives. Well neither am I. But can't we all agree that there is a point at which you must quit your job no matter how well it pays or no matter how luxurious the benefits? Is there not an ethical limit of what an employer may ask of you? Before you answer, consider the statements of most of the witnesses at the Nuremberg trials. Do Mayor Sadiq Khan's words concern you? Are you not concerned with a world in which expressing an opinion that is contrary to the belief system of an elite minority can lead to the end of your career? Perhaps you don't see any connection between any of these things because your life is so comfortable. If that's the case, I say that's by design.