Employment

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Employment

Post by The Deacon »

nicktheodore wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:49 am
Molle ninja - ok ? Who gives employer the right to tell me if I can bear arms or not ? I don't think so is the constitution I never seen an amendment stating that employer have right from preventing you to bear arms is only unconstitutional state law

The Constitution only says what the government cannot stop you from doing, it does not say that exercising those rights will never carry any consequences.

You have freedom of speech, but you're employer can fire you for cursing at customers or at your fellow employees.

You have freedom of the press, but can only freely exercise it if you own the printing press. Other people may publish your views, but they're not required to do so.

You have freedom of religion, but that does not give you the right to proselytize at work, or in the produce aisle at your local supermarket.

You have freedom of assembly, but only on public property, not on my lawn.

You have the right to keep and bear arms, but I have the right to say you cannot do so on my property, or while in my employ and acting as my agent.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mad german

Post by mad german »

I think the OP needs to grow up a little. If your employer had a no knife policy, you either go along or you don’t work there. Simple as that. My office has a nonknife policy. Do I like it? No. But I go along with it because I love the pay. Being able to carry a knife on me 24/7 is not a big deal to me. When I see posts indicating that guys carry knives while playing basketball, swimming at a friend’s bbq, going to a funeral, etc. I have to chuckle. It’s like a knife is a security blanket.
My collection is ever changing!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

nicktheodore wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:02 pm
Who ever quit job because employer didn't allowed knives ? Or I'm the only one I recently quit job where I work for week because they didn't allowed knives inside building that only way how citizens can prevent loosing rights maybe employer will change his policies I left letter why I quit on his table
What was your job description?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Every job I’ve had has a no weapons policy, and I’ve carried a knife at all of them without ever being in violation of that policy. Most of these policies are written either vaguely, or explicitly state things like firearms and “switchblades.” Many people carry multi tools or SAKs, and although my Spyderco only has a blade I (and thus others) view it as a utility tool.

Edit: “all” here is post-college for me, so all office environments.
nicktheodore

Post by nicktheodore »

I work in emt field
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Sounds like you need to become a butcher.
I got paid good money for 20 odd years to cut beef, lambs and pigs up and could carry as many knives as I wanted.
Work a gov job now and carrying a knife is part of my uniform issue. A small knife in a leather pouch on my belt ( which has been swapped out for a Spyderco )

Plenty of jobs where you get to carry a knife.

But rules are rules and a employer has the right to set them rules.

No I would not leave a job for something as trivial as a no knife policy.

My Government job now has so many rules and conditions it's crazy but I love my job.
( it's against the code of conduct to stop and get milk on the way home in a government car but if I have a drink of milk I have stopped to get a drink which is OK )

Pick you battles young fella I'm nearly 50 and there is more rules around compared to when I was 21
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I guess depending on the job, the pay, whether you've invested time/money into an education or training to get the job, would all play very important factors in the decision to leave or not. If it's some lower lever entry job that you could pick up anywhere, then ok I guess it's fine to leave (as long as there is already another job lined up prior to leaving). But, If this is a job that is your career or could develop into your career down the line, then I'd absolutely suck it up and leave the knife at home. Especially if you have a mortgage/rent, vehicle payments, a family that relies on you, etc. I know I read he said he's only 21, so maybe me at almost 35 has different priorities and things going on with my life. It does seem a bit childish in my opinion, to leave a job because you can't carry a knife.
mad german

Post by mad german »

RickC27 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:35 am
I guess depending on the job, the pay, whether you've invested time/money into an education or training to get the job, would all play very important factors in the decision to leave or not. If it's some lower lever entry job that you could pick up anywhere, then ok I guess it's fine to leave (as long as there is already another job lined up prior to leaving). But, If this is a job that is your career or could develop into your career down the line, then I'd absolutely suck it up and leave the knife at home. Especially if you have a mortgage/rent, vehicle payments, a family that relies on you, etc. I know I read he said he's only 21, so maybe me at almost 35 has different priorities and things going on with my life. It does seem a bit childish in my opinion, to leave a job because you can't carry a knife.
Very well said. I'd love to be able to carry a Military or Pattada at work, but it's not gonna happen. I work in pharma; it's my chosen field/degree (Mechanical Engineering). The pay is good, so that certainly outweighs my "need" or desire to carry a knife. I've got a family who (partly) depends on my income. Their needs and wants supercede my own.

My advice to the OP: grow up a bit, accept that you can't have your way in every job you have, realize that money is more important than being able to carry a Spyderco during the work day, and understand that it's companies/employers who set the rules-not the employees.
My collection is ever changing!
jdw

Post by jdw »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:16 am
Pick you battles young fella I'm nearly 50 and there is more rules around compared to when I was 21

I just turned 50 and there are far more rules than when I was young. You can't legislate for morality or against stupidity. As for the OP....Just grow up dude. I have a twenty year old son and the sense of entitlement in your generation is mind boggling. You are owed nothing in life. Period. You must earn respect and the accompanying rights of showing good judgment. Right now you are doing neither. Just my two cents.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JamesScottRockford

Post by JamesScottRockford »

So the general consensus is that the OP "needs to grow up" and is "immature." Maybe. But I'd like to play devil's advocate. No, I would not quit my job to make a point. When I graduated from college I started a business, which I ran for about 23 years or so. I married later in life, and when I started a family I traded a job I loved for the security of working in academia. In the last decade or so I've seen change effected so swiftly it frightens me. In every case these changes are effected unilaterally and foisted upon the employees. Example: the yearly performance review is now a never-ending, year long process. Just this week I was made aware of a new change in the performance review-there is an oath, or pledge, that one must take stating agreement with the "culture" of the institution. In other words, my employer values diversity above all else, and if you are of a different opinion, you're fired. I guess I believe that gender pronouns are hateful, pointy objects are bad, and that it's great to work in a building with no garbage cans. I know, just from listening, that many, many people (most of whom identity as extremely liberal) disagree with a lot of these changes, most of which fly in the face of common sense and nearly all of which are the opposite of their stated goals, but nobody has the courage to openly object. After all, most of the people I'm hearing complain have been here for a long time. They don't want to put their pensions in jeopardy, no matter how ridiculous, oppressive, or expensive these changes are.
Of course, my school is in a "sanctuary" city. Recently, all the parks were declared "Gun Free" zones. My large, famous, university has a small, obscure (100%) state university a half hour away. That school also declared itself a "Gun Free" zone. Guess what? A couple of people who don't have families who rely on their income raised a huge stink and our parks and that university are no longer Gun Free Zones. I believe a small percentage of shrill outliers create the world in which we all must live. Look at the London mayor's recent decree: "No excuses. There is never a reason to carry a knife." Could it happen here? I don't see why not, as long as we keep telling the OP he needs to grow up. Our founding fathers believed our rights were God-given, and not granted by The State. I completely agree, although from a practical standpoint realize that if the state bans my rights and nobody complains my rights cease to exist. If everyone were willing to openly express his honest opinions I know I'd be living in a much better world. You may say that I have "grown up." I say I've lost my courage.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

employment = $$

$$ = more :spyder:

more :spyder: = :D

;)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
jdw

Post by jdw »

JamesScottRockford wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am
So the general consensus is that the OP "needs to grow up" and is "immature." Maybe. But I'd like to play devil's advocate. No, I would not quit my job to make a point. When I graduated from college I started a business, which I ran for about 23 years or so. I married later in life, and when I started a family I traded a job I loved for the security of working in academia. In the last decade or so I've seen change effected so swiftly it frightens me. In every case these changes are effected unilaterally and foisted upon the employees. Example: the yearly performance review is now a never-ending, year long process. Just this week I was made aware of a new change in the performance review-there is an oath, or pledge, that one must take stating agreement with the "culture" of the institution. In other words, my employer values diversity above all else, and if you are of a different opinion, you're fired. I guess I believe that gender pronouns are hateful, pointy objects are bad, and that it's great to work in a building with no garbage cans. I know, just from listening, that many, many people (most of whom identity as extremely liberal) disagree with a lot of these changes, most of which fly in the face of common sense and nearly all of which are the opposite of their stated goals, but nobody has the courage to openly object. After all, most of the people I'm hearing complain have been here for a long time. They don't want to put their pensions in jeopardy, no matter how ridiculous, oppressive, or expensive these changes are.
Of course, my school is in a "sanctuary" city. Recently, all the parks were declared "Gun Free" zones. My large, famous, university has a small, obscure (100%) state university a half hour away. That school also declared itself a "Gun Free" zone. Guess what? A couple of people who don't have families who rely on their income raised a huge stink and our parks and that university are no longer Gun Free Zones. I believe a small percentage of shrill outliers create the world in which we all must live. Look at the London mayor's recent decree: "No excuses. There is never a reason to carry a knife." Could it happen here? I don't see why not, as long as we keep telling the OP he needs to grow up. Our founding fathers believed our rights were God-given, and not granted by The State. I completely agree, although from a practical standpoint realize that if the state bans my rights and nobody complains my rights cease to exist. If everyone were willing to openly express his honest opinions I know I'd be living in a much better world. You may say that I have "grown up." I say I've lost my courage.
I think that you have missed the point. It isn't about the courage to openly object to something, some decree, some law, with which you disagree. I personally do not see how it is courageous to make a point by quitting a job over a restrictive knife policy. If you feel strongly about it then do more in your community to see policies adopted, people educated, or laws changed that would make a difference for the entire community. That's a rich tradition of Civil Disobedience of which I think that most of us agree. Quitting a job over a knife is just a personal temper-tantrum.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JamesScottRockford

Post by JamesScottRockford »

Yes, JDW, you're correct. I must have missed the point.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

nicktheodore wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:46 am
I will uphold my oath to the constitution
You can’t uphold what you don’t understand.

There was no 2nd amendment issue, you just don’t like your employer’s policies. I don’t like that my employer has a ping pong table and a pool table instead of two pool tables. I’m still employed.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

nicktheodore wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:02 pm
Who ever quit job because employer didn't allowed knives ? Or I'm the only one I recently quit job where I work for week because they didn't allowed knives inside building that only way how citizens can prevent loosing rights maybe employer will change his policies I left letter why I quit on his table
When you are hired by a Company you have to follow their rules/policies to stay employed.

If they have a no weapons policy that what it means and there is normally a good reason for it, mostly has to do with safety and to avoid lawsuits.

No, I would never quit a job or not work for an employer due to a no weapons policy.

There are plenty of reasons not to work for a Company, but having a no weapons policy isn't one of them.

Important things like working environment, pay scale, benefits etc are much more important.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

JamesScottRockford wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am
It doesn’t look like it is the consensus as I have only read a few posts that have stated this. But to be honest, the OP’s decision to quit a job for something as trivial as not having the ability to EDC due to a policy written by the employer is certainly on the side of immaturity. When I was in my early 20’s nobody could tell me what to do, and if they did, how dare they, and this was especially true when it came to employers. Iv’e grown and matured a lot since then. I look at the world very differently now then I did 15 years ago, as I am sure I will 15 years from now.

As far as the rest of your post, you make some fine points that I agree with.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 am
employment = $$

$$ = more :spyder:

more :spyder: = :D

;)
Yes!! Agreed!!
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

nicktheodore wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:03 am
I work in emt field
I’m a little confused, your in the US correct, GA you said? I live in NJ which has some of the strictest weapon laws in he US, and all of our First Responders have the right to carry blades of their choice. I’ve never heard of an EMT company now allowing their employees to carry knives?? It’s a staple tool in many rescue efforts :confused:
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Also, common sense can be used about whether or not to carry a knife. I've carried a pocket knife every day since I was six. This was less conspicuous in my pre-Spyderco-clip days. I'm now 75, have worked more than a dozen jobs, gone to a dozen schools, university, military, etc, and no one has ever asked me to show them the contents of my pockets -- except when I go into a federal courthouse or hospital emergency room, at which time I willingly comply. (Actually haven't flown since 9/11.) But I don't bother to leave my knife behind when I go into a post office, though I think that's probably a violation of federal law. I realize times have changed, and if an employer had a strict no-knife policy, I would definitely comply.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 am
nicktheodore wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:03 am
I work in emt field
I’m a little confused, your in the US correct, GA you said? I live in NJ which has some of the strictest weapon laws in he US, and all of our First Responders have the right to carry blades of their choice. I’ve never heard of an EMT company now allowing their employees to carry knives?? It’s a staple tool in many rescue efforts :confused:
I somehow missed that. Which I also find very odd and confusing. Same here, I live in NY...Not NYC, but still. I have 2 personal friends that I know carry a blade on them to work as EMTs. Heck, some manufacturers have a line of knives specifically for rescue efforts. I'm new to Spyderco, but I believe I've seen such from them as well? OP has to elaborate more on this, not to be attacked but because I don't understand. Many rescue efforts are made possible because of a knife!