PM2 Cruwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soup

PM2 Cruwear

Post by Soup »

I gave my BIL an extra PM2 Cruwear a few weeks ago and he was sharpening freehand when the edge just slivered off in a long sliver

Any ideas?
The Mastiff

Re: PM2 Cruwear

Post by The Mastiff »

Any ideas?
Time to reprofile the edge. Your brother in law would probably benefit from a guided system. Some like the Lansky are not too expensive and can do even super abrasive steels with the diamond stones pretty easily. The base will sharpen these too but not nearly as quickly. Also the diamond stones do well with water not oil. Oil is too messy for me. Edge pro is good but more expensive.

Joe
Soup

Post by Soup »

I have an Edge Pro and I am going to take it home and fix it for him. He is a rather competent with tools, so I didn't think it was anything he did. This knife had never been sharpened. It just seemed odd to me.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That does seem odd. Cru-Wear is supposed to be pretty tough.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Guys, he mangled the edge. Competent with tools or not look at the result. You can't even begin to blame the steel for this.

Joe
npad69

Post by npad69 »

sure looks like it went through a pull-through sharpener to me.
you can tell from the grind line that is stretching cross-wise along the edge and where the piece of metal has cleanly chipped-off
i know because i have been sharpening my cheapo kitchen knives this way for years before learning about knife steels and the proper tools/way of sharpening