PM2 to PM3, happy?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mstach07

Re: PM2 to PM3, happy?

Post by Mstach07 »

I wear suit and tie five days a week. I carried the PM2 in pocket for years (not utilizing the clip). It always settled horizontally and was very apparent and uncomfortable. That said, the para 3 fits the bill. I switched to the mxg clip which was good. I found myself carrying the pm2 after work when in street clothes. So I removed the clips on all my para 3s and WOW. Does it feel good in hand with no clip. So Para 3 for work. PM2 after work and weekends. Best of both situations.
anycal

Post by anycal »

What kind of a discussion is this without pics? Happy with both...

Peter
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I found the standard clip hole position is best on the Manix 2's. I don't mind the regular clip on that knife.

For my PM2 need a medium carry and on the Para3 I need a deep carry. I have to find a satin Ti deep carry clip that isn't as long as the one I have and isn't the wede duck billed MXG.

After carrying the PM2 for a week and then going back to PM3 I started to notice the handle size when not choking on the finger choil. knife ergos are the same when using it. When not the PM2 is way more comfortable.

Medium vs Deep.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

It's the longer blade of the Spyderco Para Military 2 that made me a big fan of the knife as it was a wonderful improvement on the original Spyderco Para Military and made it an excellent choice when a Spyderco Military was a bit too big for use or carry.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Schpyder wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:23 am
I love my CF- P3. it's a little more pocket friendly and I like the more rounded feel in hand with less weight. More of a practical EDC than a PM2. I like the PM2 but it's a little large for the pocket to be a comfortable EDC. That was the biggest complaint about the PM2 with people. Great knife but a bit big is what you here most often. What I keep hearing is that people got a P3 and thought it was not going to be a good true EDC and then they carried it and were surprised and then hooked as I was. It's a little wide but not crazy to me. I wouldn't carry anything any wider because this is even pushing it. It ain't a Delica in the pocket and that's been some of the complaints. it is what it is and what it is , is the smallest of the Military line. Period

My edc for awhile was the Tasman Salt. I liked it alot, but little to wide in my front pocket. The PM3 feels right width wise to me.
-C
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I went the other direction: from Para3 to PM2 for the increase in size (indeed now I’m up to an S90V Military 😂). There ain’t nothin wrong with the Para3, I just enjoy the fuller grip/blade of the PM2. And my cobalt blue S110V just gets sharper and sharper since I strop it on dia paste every other day!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

I rotate 3 para 3’s for edc (m390,cruwear, and S110V) all wearing MXG clips. I find the Para 3 just as comfortable as my native 5’s but easier to flick open and easier to close.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have a number of PM2s, and was going to get a Para3 when it was announced, but got my first Millie, instead. I now think I don't need a smaller PM2 but some more of the larger ones. :rolleyes:
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Owning both, I don't know. Something about the PM2 wins for me. I like my Para 3, has the best steel of any knife I have (M390). It just doesn't feel as stout or solid in hand as the PM2. Also prefer the blade shape of the PM2. But, when it comes to choking up the Para 3 is much more comfortable/natural in hand. Regular carry, PM2 just melts in my hand and have never felt the need to choke up with it. Must be the particular size of my hand. If I never owned a PM2 prior to the Para 3, I'd be totally content with the Para 3. But in reality, if I were to lose a PM2 right now... I'd be pretty bummed and upset.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Resized_20180510_191525 (4).jpeg
For those saying they don't think the Para 3 carry is that bad, I'd like to strongly disagree. The very first day I carried my Para 3 with the stock clip, my seatbelt actually got caught between the part of the knife that was sticking out of my pocket and my jeans. Instant annoyance! I feel a deep carry clip is a priority for this knife, not only for carry but looks as well. That polished finish on the stock clip just screams for attention (though not easily visible in this pic)
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

Ditto, on the deep carry clip makes this knife much more pocket friendly.
E3A532B8-5A28-42CD-A215-010C2ADB7672.jpeg
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I am really liking the Para 3. I own both the S110V and Maxamet versions. I've sold off 3 of the 4 Paramilitary I own now. Seriously considering selling my last one. I have a few Manix which cover off that size of a blade for me.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OKay I have both>> well actually I've already traded my PM3. The PM2 to me is close to perfection of what I liked from the Para models I've owned over the years and the Para3 was a bit of let down for me. The smaller blade was truly a turn off of sorts and I've just loved the Para2 so much that maybe my judgement is a bit skewed in some respects. Actually I'm keeping my Para2 S110V just in case I have to go to where they have draconian knife laws and I can't EDC my M390 Military. But I'll carry the big boy as long as I'm allowed to.

Truly I even like the newer Native models better than I do the Para3>> the Native handle just contours to my hand better. I guess this can be construed as another "Chevy versus Ford" type comparison and a lot of guys love the Para3. But for me if and when I step down in size for my main EDC will probably end up being my Para2 that I'm keeping for that purpose.

But who knows maybe at some point the Para3 might grow on me. Kind of like the Caly jr did at one time.
FK

Post by FK »

I have several each of PM2 and Para 3, for EDC carry both, a well used PM2 S110V for heavy duty and a Para 3 Cruwear for fine cutting.

To maximize comfort and great feel in hand,,, remove the clip on the Para 3 and carry in a soft nylon belt pouch.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

FK wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:16 pm
I have several each of PM2 and Para 3, for EDC carry both, a well used PM2 S110V for heavy duty and a Para 3 Cruwear for fine cutting.

To maximize comfort and great feel in hand,,, remove the clip on the Para 3 and carry in a soft nylon belt pouch.

Regards,
FK
FK that’s exactly what I do with my Military (well minus the pouch), I think more people should try out the Millie sans clip, it’s truly an ergonomic marvel, so slim and comfy.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
FK

Post by FK »

I found a Benchmade nylon pouch that fits the Military.
Have really liked the Military since mid 1990's, a favorite.

Regards,
FK
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I bought the large one from blade hq from benchmade as well. It's fits my larger spydies well. I fully intend to buy the small eventually as well.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam