Favorite PM2 variant?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Favorite PM2 variant?

Post by anycal »

PM2 just works for me, so any one will do. But a favorite is the M390. Got it as the BBS flavor (sporting CF now). It is my most used Spyderco. Stainless, keeps a good edge, relatively easy to sharpen and keep sharp. What’s not to like.

The M4 has been in my pocket everyday since I got it. Not sure if it will ever bump the M390, but it is a solid #2 right now.

Peter
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Jeeez, that's like a month's mortgage right there! I have jealousy.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I refinanced recently, so totally justified :p
Peter
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I have 4 PM2s, and this one gets the most use. I know everyone gets excited for new steels, but I really enjoy using the fully serrated cutting edge on this PM2. It makes quick work of any task. My second favorite is probably the S30V DLC.

:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

anycal wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:11 am
Where did the CF handles on the Maxamet come from?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:53 pm
I’ve owned almost every variant of the PM2 and I can say without a doubt that the blue M390 is my favourite. Great steel and I love the colour. Second place is probably the Maxamet version. The stonewash is incredible. Now that I’ve got a second one I’m gonna start seeing what Maxamet can do.

Same here. Love my smurf blue PM2.
anycal

Post by anycal »

kadinh wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:14 pm
Where did the CF handles on the Maxamet come from?
Aramis Akhmedov
Peter
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I'm pretty new to all these variations in steel, and have never owned a knife that isn't stainless steel. The PM2 with 52100 intrigues me, though I'm worried about maintenance of the blade. If I were to get one, would it be best to eliminate food prep or any kind of wet environment use with this particular steel, or is it something you should clean up and dry quickly right after use? I've searched around to get some answers, but they seem to vary. I see a lot of posts in this thread regarding the 52100 steel so I was hoping some of you that own one of these could elaborate with your own personal thoughts?
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

52100 is probably the most corrosive prone of all the offerings, together with maxamet. It started rusting on me minutes after letting it covered in tomato juice. BUT... the edge it takes is amazing, and a bit of forced patina with minced garlic stopped the rusting issues for me, together with adding a nice blue hue to the entire blade.

Personal corrosion resistance rating of the relevant non-stainless steels I tried so far: 52100<Maxamet<M4<10v<<<CruWear (CruWear feels almost semi-stainless in my use)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

emanuel wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:42 am
52100 is probably the most corrosive prone of all the offerings, together with maxamet. It started rusting on me minutes after letting it covered in tomato juice. BUT... the edge it takes is amazing, and a bit of forced patina with minced garlic stopped the rusting issues for me, together with adding a nice blue hue to the entire blade.

Personal corrosion resistance rating of the relevant non-stainless steels I tried so far: 52100<Maxamet<M4<10v<<<CruWear (CruWear feels almost semi-stainless in my use)
I don't know about 52100 but Maxamet hasn't been a problem for me. I use mine occasionally for food prep, cutting up acidic stuff like kiwis and other fruit.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I had a couple of fingerprint marks left on it from just touching it with sweaty hands I assume, and food did gave it a patina really fast. I didn't like the stonewashed finish on it so I made it into a satin-ish finish with a light visible patina, and I like it way more. And don't get me wrong, I like how the stonewash looked on it, it just felt like I couldn't clean it properly. Maybe because of the steel pores from the stonewash, it's the first stonewasheded non-stainless I ever had. Btw I'm talking about a Para 3, not 2. I couldn't get that in time :(
Appler

Post by Appler »

20cp

It's handsome, rare, and an OG PM sprint before PM sprints were everywhere.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Love the green 204p...

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

This is the one I carry and use the most. This is a perfect EDC steel.
Attachments
IMG_7095.jpg
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

^^ I've got that same knife on order from KC right now, supposed to be back in stock next month. I can't wait! Brown is such a boring color, but it looks so nice and classy on this particular knife, I couldn't resist. Will also be my first knife in that steel, glad to see you love it!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Resized_20180418_111944.jpeg
Saw this one was available on dlttrading the other day, decided to snatch it up while I wait for that Earth Brown.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Not being a collector I have only one, the black G10, S30V model. It’s fantastic. For me it’s the most iconic Spyderco. I use it for whatever comes up and is suitable for its size and blade shape. I’m not very knowledgeable about the various steel options but S30V handles all of my needs and takes a very sharp edge.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I'm with you on the steel variations. I've got a couple S30V's that I'm able to get a sharp edge on, I don't think that S35VN I'm waiting for should be THAT much of a difference. I like a lot of the others I've seen, but I really have no use for them...though if I want some as collectors, that's a different story. The wife argues..."why would you spend $200+ on a knife that could probably cut concrete, yet you wouldn't even use it for anything besides cutting vegetables or breaking down a box with it??" She may have a point...but doesn't understand I guess!!
rivy

Post by rivy »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:13 am
Jeeez, that's like a month's mortgage right there! I have jealousy.
I gotta move out of Southern California... that's not even close to a month's mortgage. :(

Oh how to pick a favorite PM2... I think if I could, I wouldn't have 5 of them. I love the blurple scales and also the jade scales, but I lust for a cruwear pm2. :spyder:
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Easy answer for me. :eek: I’m all about the performance.

Maxamet wins, hands down!!! :D No other steel holds such a great edge longer. :cool: Simply amazing steel! :spyder:

And that’s with some pretty stiff competition. I have variants in S110V, M4, M390, 52100, CruWear, and “lowly” S30V too. S110V is the only one that comes anywhere close. M4 next.

I did a forced patina on mine almost immediately, and haven’t really seen any further staining on it, including on the tang areas where it’s still virgin steel. I’ve carried it every day since I got it back before Christmas too, but then again, I do live in a pretty dry climate. But it’s spent several weeks in DC and Buffalo during that timeframe too, fwiw.
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!