Aftermarket DLC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Aftermarket DLC?

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone know of a place that you can get DLC put on a Mule?

I was playing around with my K390 Mule, and noticed a fair bit of rust has developed under the scales. I was considering sending it in to Robar to get it NP3 coated, but then I started wondering if I could get DLC (which seems like it's become a standard for knife blades) instead.
nicked.onaut

Re: Aftermarket DLC?

Post by nicked.onaut »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:02 am
Does anyone know of a place that you can get DLC put on a Mule?

I was playing around with my K390 Mule, and noticed a fair bit of rust has developed under the scales. I was considering sending it in to Robar to get it NP3 coated, but then I started wondering if I could get DLC (which seems like it's become a standard for knife blades) instead.
NP3 lacks the durability you want for knife coating.

I have used two services for knives, both in Calif., one of which has moved out of state and made other changes with the company.
One I've used:

http://crystallumepvd.com/dlc

Metal finishing companies will vary in their minimums for runs, thus they often deal with second parties which can batch their orders. Best results for you if you call and speak to a human. (I've used at least eight different finishing companies over 35 years--the phone is your friend.)

good luck
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Josh at Razor Edge Knives (http://www.razoredgeknives.com) does cerakote and DLC. I sent my endura to him to get DLC’d and he did a great job.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

levs18 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:26 am
Josh at Razor Edge Knives (http://www.razoredgeknives.com) does cerakote and DLC. I sent my endura to him to get DLC’d and he did a great job.

Josh's "PVD Books are currently closed until further notice."

PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) is the process, which is used for multiple types of coatings, DLC is one such coating. (Cerakote is neither DLC, nor applied by PVD.)

Since he is not providing the service, you might call him for an outsourcing reference.
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

I'm in the final stages of putting together my e-coating lab. I evaluated all the current systems, and settled in on the Kliar e-coating system for it's durability (better than other coating systems), its self-lubricating properties, the ability to control thickness of coating down to 10μ which is thin enough to coat screw threads with no negative effect, and ability to add pigment to the final mix to obtain virtually any color. I'm starting with a system that can essentially step through up to 5 colors quickly, and I'm getting 17 different base colors - all of which can be mixed to develop custom colors.

If anybody is interested in more information, drop me a DM.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:44 am
levs18 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:26 am

Josh's "PVD Books are currently closed until further notice."

PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) is the process, which is used for multiple types of coatings, DLC is one such coating. (Cerakote is neither DLC, nor applied by PVD.)

Since he is not providing the service, you might call him for an outsourcing reference.
I've been very happy with Josh's work. I'll email him and see if he has any recommendations.