Salt Series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Salt Series

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:27 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:17 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:01 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:49 am

i seriously doubt we’d be able to flick this knife open. have you ever tried to flick a native salt open? the backlock spring is way too tight to flick it.

Not a Native SALT, but a Native 5 LW. No problem at all (though I can't remember if only with the thumb or each finger)

The Chap LW is the only backlock I can just flick with the thumb, all others I currently have (Enduras, Endela, Stretches, Delica) with each finger (pinky in reverse grip of course).
I figure a backlock knife with a comparably heavy blade (like the Manix (edit: meant Yojimbo)) should be rather easy to flick open too - ?
a few things... those other models are from other factories. i can flick my df2 salt, but my pac salt takes some wrist action to get open. my native? not even close. many of the knives you listed are also lined, which makes them open easier in my experience. the thickest of them all is the native, which is known to have the sturdiest backlock, possibly because of the amount of material in the lock and spring. an even thicker blade equates to an even thicker backlock and spring, meaning more tension on the blade.
for all of you guys that are terrified of comp locks jumping open in your pockets and murdering you, it sounds like a dream come true. :D i’d personally rather have a self defense knife that opens easily and reliably.
Actually I forgot to mention my Pac Salt ;): Also easy to flick open with each finger!

And as said in my post: Native 5 LW is the same (easy to flick with each finger) and it comes from the same factory and is other than the steel identical to the Native Salt (as far as I know, please correct me if I am wrong!)

But I admit; That might be the case partly because I am so used to backlocks!

For the record: While I am one of those who prefers the Spyderco backlock over all other lock types, I do like the comp lock, just find backlock, CBBL and even liner lock (slightly) better. But the reason in my case is NOT that I fear a comp. lock could come open in my pocket! I really don´t, it never happened to me (just with a BM axxis lock twice) and for me is more a theoretical disadvantage that does not count for me personally in "real life"...
yeah. that wasn't meant to be directed solely at you, but rather the large population that cites it as their reason for preferring backlocks on this forum.

i am used to backlocks too. i have quite a few of them. none of the flick open easily unless i allow an unacceptable amount of blade play. i don't know what is different about the native salt, but many people have posted that the spring tension makes the knife much harder to open than the standard native lw. i don't have one to compare it to, so i can't really speak to that. all i know is there is no flicking that knife for me, even with blade play. when i depress the backlock, it'll fall free, but i can't flick it open. maybe i'm just weak, but even if that were the case, it would not be an ideal design for self defense across a broad spectrum of users. anyway, i'm assuming that the yojimbo would have at least as much tension, if not more, in a lw backlock design. i could be wrong.

honestly though, i'm not sure why the design would be desirable in a lw model. i completely understand the desire for a salt and have made the petition here many times. why wouldn't you want a self defense knife to be completely maintenance free so you can carry it worry free however you want and always? it makes sense. i keep saying the same about the matriarch 2 as well. that knife would make so much sense in h1 for a variety of reasons. however, i don't get wanting the yojimbo in a lw. it's a beefy knife. it is designed for the very hard task of self defense. sure, it makes a great edc blade, but that's not it's sole purpose of design. if the time ever comes that you need to use it for self defense, you're going to want it as strong as possible. i'm not saying a lw wouldn't work in this situation; i'm just saying i'd rather have g10 and liners and a couple more ounces of heft. realistically, you only stand to lose about a dragonfly worth of weight and you sacrifice quick deployment and durability. in my mind, that's a terrible trade.

https://youtu.be/1ddOdONCCqU&t=3s from the man himself... granted, he's not comparing a backlock to a comp lock, but he does outline the specific advantages of a comp lock in the yojimbo design. skip to around 11:00 for the comp lock discussion.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C