Permanent Mule Team?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HIGHRISE
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Permanent Mule Team?

Postby HIGHRISE » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:28 pm

I know I’m a noob on this forum but I’ve owned Spyderco knives for years.

After some experience with different blade steels I’m developing preferences and starting to know what I like. (Still not there yet)

JUST TODAY I learned of Spyderco’s Mule Team series.

OH BABY! Where have you been all my life?!?



But there’s only a couple available...only one of those in a bladesteel I’ve ever heard of...and at least one of those examples had some crazy rusting issues.

To start, I’d love a Mule in VG10...at least one in H1...another in ZDP-189...


Is there any consideration to make Mule Team series constantly available in commonly used Spyderco steels?

I know I’d be less apt to throw down cash for some unknown (unproven and difficult to research) steel but would LOVE to buy a few in steels (I know and love) where I can choose based on application.


I may be way off base but with the popularity of shows like “Forged in Fire” the ability to ‘build’ a knife with known steel, heat treated correctly, by simply adding scales could be huge.

There are plenty of companies selling knife blanks...but they’re primarily junky Damascus...and none of em have a Spyderco logo. ;)


There’s probably a reason why you don’t do that already...but if not, I’d sure appreciate the consideration to start.

Thanks!
The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5396
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby The Mastiff » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:42 pm

I agree with you in liking the base steels. As far as they go it defeats the whole concept of the mule team.Mules are expressly for trying new steels. That is the purpose. Not providing easy kit knives though they do work very well for that.

If a steel rusts very easily that is one of the things we learned from having that steel selected for a mule. I have all except 3 of the mules.
OH BABY! Where have you been all my life?!?
I felt the same way about them when Sal first discussed the concept. The whole concept of this being done for our learning and enjoyment has more than amazed me. That is what Sal and Spyderco do and how he is as a person .

Joe

HIGHRISE
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby HIGHRISE » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:54 pm

I get that currently the Mule Team is expressly conducted for trying out new steel...maybe a permanent line should be called something else? But with the vast availability of scales build for this knife keeping the design the same would be ideal.

I bet there are more than a few people who would love to find a Maxamet Mule. ;)

I sure would.
The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.

SF Native
Member
Posts: 1431
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am
Location: Fairfax, Ca

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby SF Native » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 pm

I just looked and it seems like they have a bunch still available. The lc200n is better than h1. The pma11 is like 10v. So that’s awesome. I think they still have 20cv, which is like 204p. That’s a real favorite recently. There are good options right now. You don’t need these to be permanent. Start your collection.

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5396
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby The Mastiff » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 pm

It seems like whenever new knife designs are discussed here more and more is requested of the design until it is no longer an inexpensive mule like product. There are and have been some great designs in the steels you talk about. Not mules though. :)

It is tough coming into an ongoing program like the Mule team and realizing how many of them would have made amazing knives for very low cost. That is true, and they did! :) At least you know you won't miss the equally exciting future releases. :D

Joe

User avatar
jabba359
Member
Posts: 4871
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA U.S.A. Earth
Contact:

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby jabba359 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 pm

HIGHRISE wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:54 pm
I get that currently the Mule Team is expressly conducted for trying out new steel...maybe a permanent line should be called something else? But with the vast availability of scales build for this knife keeping the design the same would be ideal.

I bet there are more than a few people who would love to find a Maxamet Mule. ;)

I sure would.

Spyderco did make a Woodcraft Mule in S30V with a different knife design and it was pretty much what you're asking for, a normal steel with add-your-own handles. It didn't sell too well, I believe, as it didn't last very long in the lineup. It was made exclusively for woodcraft.com, so that might have looked to it not being super well known.
-Kyle

:spyder:
Latest arrivals: DLC M4 Shaman, Opus, Q Ball

http://www.spydiewiki.com

User avatar
Xplorer
Member
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby Xplorer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 pm

HIGHRISE wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:28 pm
To start, I’d love a Mule in VG10...at least one in H1...another in ZDP-189...
I suggest trying the LC200N, and the 20CV Mules while they're still available. The LC200N steel is nearly as corrosion resistant as H1 with considerably better edge holding capability. 20CV (like CTS-204P and M390) has great edge holding/wear resistance characteristics and is a steel that many people consider a favorite. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@Xplorer42 on Instagram.

Bodog
Member
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:03 am
Location: Tierra del Sol, USA Earth

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby Bodog » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:44 pm

jabba359 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 pm
HIGHRISE wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:54 pm
I get that currently the Mule Team is expressly conducted for trying out new steel...maybe a permanent line should be called something else? But with the vast availability of scales build for this knife keeping the design the same would be ideal.

I bet there are more than a few people who would love to find a Maxamet Mule. ;)

I sure would.

Spyderco did make a Woodcraft Mule in S30V with a different knife design and it was pretty much what you're asking for, a normal steel with add-your-own handles. It didn't sell too well, I believe, as it didn't last very long in the lineup. It was made exclusively for woodcraft.com, so that might have looked to it not being super well known.
Well, s30v wouldn't be the best at woodcrafting. Either people who saw it knew better than to try s30v as a woodcrafting knife or they haven't heard of the steel at all and they couldn't understand why a kit knife from spyderco cost 150 when woodcrafters has others sitting right there looking just as nice for 30.

Maybe a 52100 (or even bd1n) woodcrafting kit that was really well done and costs 50 instead of 30 for a kit with unknown recycled steel would've fared better?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.

User avatar
jabba359
Member
Posts: 4871
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA U.S.A. Earth
Contact:

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby jabba359 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 am

Bodog wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Well, s30v wouldn't be the best at woodcrafting. Either people who saw it knew better than to try s30v as a woodcrafting knife or they haven't heard of the steel at all and they couldn't understand why a kit knife from spyderco cost 150 when woodcrafters has others sitting right there looking just as nice for 30.

Maybe a 52100 (or even bd1n) woodcrafting kit that was really well done and costs 50 instead of 30 for a kit with unknown recycled steel would've fared better?
Yeah, not the best to use as woodcrafting knife, but I think the idea was probably more along the lines of the knife being the subject of the woodcrafting (by building handles) rather than the tool used to create the woodcrafting. Either way, you're right about the price. Something closer to the 9Cr18Mo Mule ($20) would have been much more enticing to people to try their hand at handle building.
-Kyle

:spyder:
Latest arrivals: DLC M4 Shaman, Opus, Q Ball

http://www.spydiewiki.com

gaj999
Member
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:01 pm

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby gaj999 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 am

jabba359 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 pm
Spyderco did make a Woodcraft Mule in S30V with a different knife design and it was pretty much what you're asking for, a normal steel with add-your-own handles. It didn't sell too well, I believe, as it didn't last very long in the lineup. It was made exclusively for woodcraft.com, so that might have looked to it not being super well known.
I remember looking at it. I think it had a really crappy grind, like a saber. I do remember thinking that the handle design was better(would fit a higher percentage of hands) than the regular Mule.

ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby ThePeacent » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:12 pm

jabba359 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 am
Bodog wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Well, s30v wouldn't be the best at woodcrafting. Either people who saw it knew better than to try s30v as a woodcrafting knife or they haven't heard of the steel at all and they couldn't understand why a kit knife from spyderco cost 150 when woodcrafters has others sitting right there looking just as nice for 30.

Maybe a 52100 (or even bd1n) woodcrafting kit that was really well done and costs 50 instead of 30 for a kit with unknown recycled steel would've fared better?
Yeah, not the best to use as woodcrafting knife, but I think the idea was probably more along the lines of the knife being the subject of the woodcrafting (by building handles) rather than the tool used to create the woodcrafting. Either way, you're right about the price. Something closer to the 9Cr18Mo Mule ($20) would have been much more enticing to people to try their hand at handle building.

that could've been essentially the Fixed Blade Byrd we've been talking about for years :spyder:

N. Brian Huegel
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Country Knives - Intercourse, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby N. Brian Huegel » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:19 pm


User avatar
standy99
Member
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
Location: Between Broome and Cairns somewhere

Re: Permanent Mule Team?

Postby standy99 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:33 am

Have a thread as I am starting to get into testing steels from the latest available

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=78142

I would get PD1 #27 if you still can. ;)

Have plenty of knives in steel that are in production to compare the newer steels to.
Being a butcher for years, I have a good sharpening understanding so will be able to compare steels better ie; longer v shorter time wise. Steel hardness

I would rather do all this on new steels
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Accutron, Blnd, cabfrank, curlyhairedboy, gbcaffee, Google [Bot], prndltech, sal, Tgmr05, Wright.88 and 38 guests